June 29th...Its Yours!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kylo4

Wow Eric, I'm graduating High-School (Grade 12) with an 83 average and I'm turning 18 and my gift will be one third the price of an iPhone...and I'm completely fine with that. I don't get why people blow their money on such things. What will I do with the gift I get? Put it towards a computer or tuition.

I agree with paranoidxe, the camera phone will not replace an actual camera. I do admit it can be useful but it will never surmount to "Let's take our wedding pictures" quality. The iPhone is just a nice gadget. But as my dad says "Why keep wasting all of this time on gadgets when there is Global Warming to look after."

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
And how are you going to use your American released AT&T iPhone in Canada, eh? Sounds like a $600 paperweight to me :p

I haven't heard any release dates for Canada yet, though it sounds like Rogers will hold the rights of release up there.

See me, not impressed.

paranoidxe

iPhone is like a BMW, sure its neat to look at but is there anything this phone offers other than its "coolness" in terms of appearance and touch screen? I can't name anything this device offers that would warrant the $600.

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
$600. it's not for student. if you are a student, you can't afford it because it's not just phone price. you have to pay for monthly as well.

but no matter who we are, if we really want, we will camp out for it on June 29th. by the way, I am not a student. I wish I am^^ it was one of a good life.

kylo4

Paranoidxe is right on the money yet again. $600 is a lot of money. That is as much money as a Mac Mini. You can buy an Acer laptop for $799. I mean the thing is just so damn expensive. You could buy a beat up used car for that much money. Anything is better than spending $600 on a phone. I'd rather get a Playstation 3, and I don't game.

philapod

paranoidxe said:
My point? a Cell Phone is a cell phone, it shouldn't be trying to be anything else. a camera, music player are all useless to me. I'd much rather carry two devices around with me that do their own functions better than these all-in-one devices. Whats a extra 5.5 ounces going to hurt me to carry around? After all I have two pockets.
Would you really want to carry a camera in your other pocket everyday, even though you know you might not take a picture that day? And then there's the ipod, the keys, the wallet, and of course, the cell phone.

So think of the iPhone like a swiss army knife. It's got a knife, a screwdriver, some scissors maybe... etc. None of its tools works as well as a full size equivalent, BUT the point is, with the swiss army knife, it all fits in your pocket, and when you need one of the tools, it's there! Available for use! You're not stuck there thinking, I wish I had my scissors... I wish I had my screwdriver... I wish I had my iPod... I wish I had my camera...I wish I could google something...

philapod

paranoidxe said:
iPhone is like a BMW, sure its neat to look at but is there anything this phone offers other than its "coolness" in terms of appearance and touch screen? I can't name anything this device offers that would warrant the $600.
omg we're completely different people lol... I drive a BMW, and I can attest that it's more than just 'neat to look at'.

I'm glad to see we do agree on the fact that the iPhone is expensive.

Website
www.ilounge.com
While I'm not entirely convinced that the iPhone is necessarily an ideal smart phone solution, I have paid $600+ for numerous phones in the past... My first Treo 650, my Kyocera 7135, my pDQ-1900 Smartphone, and others. Even my Nokia E62 that I'm using now would have been $600 had I chosen to go for a subsidized cell phone extension.

My first iPod was $700, and I've bought several PDAs in that price range as well over the years.

So it may seem expensive, but I don't see the price as being that outrageous compared to many similar devices on the market.

kylo4

jHollington is also worth around $7 million dollars, so that is why he could buy all of those things.

Whether that fact is true or not is unknown. But methinks he owns a company or works inside Apple.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
jhollington said:
So it may seem expensive, but I don't see the price as being that outrageous compared to many similar devices on the market.

The difference here is that most smart phones are subsidized in some way by the carrier. When you sign up for new service you get a substantial discount on the hand set. That's not the case with iPhone (as far as we know).

kyussmondo

jhollington said:
While I'm not entirely convinced that the iPhone is necessarily an ideal smart phone solution, I have paid $600+ for numerous phones in the past... My first Treo 650, my Kyocera 7135, my pDQ-1900 Smartphone, and others. Even my Nokia E62 that I'm using now would have been $600 had I chosen to go for a subsidized cell phone extension.

My first iPod was $700, and I've bought several PDAs in that price range as well over the years.

Exactly. And I think people have to realise that this is much more than just a bog standard phone.

People said the iPod was too expensive. Some still do, but they still sell very well. Why are people so caught up on price? Sure we all have bills to pay but if the product works well then most people will pay the premium. Steve Jobs himself as even hinted that prices will be lowered in the future. All new products are expensive to make the most money out of the people who can't wait, other people will wait a few months till the price drops.

I strongly believe that if the iPhone delivers then it will become a huge success. If anyone can make the phone market what it should be, Apple are definitely a company that is capable of producing. People have come to expect phones that have all these features, but none of them work very well. Hopefully the iPhone will help turn the industry upside down and give companies such as Nokia a kick up the ### because to be honest mobile phone companies have been lazy just rehashing the same old features with the same slow, unresponsive software on these phones. I am left wanting my phone to be so much better, hopefully the iPhone will change this.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
I don't know that new nokia sounds pretty fly.

I think Apple hopefully knows what they are doing, but it could still come to task. The question is that they have to work with AT&T what will they do with this pressure?

paranoidxe

slashjunior said:
Exactly. And I think people have to realise that this is much more than just a bog standard phone.

People said the iPod was too expensive. Some still do, but they still sell very well. Why are people so caught up on price? Sure we all have bills to pay but if the product works well then most people will pay the premium. Steve Jobs himself as even hinted that prices will be lowered in the future. All new products are expensive to make the most money out of the people who can't wait, other people will wait a few months till the price drops.

I strongly believe that if the iPhone delivers then it will become a huge success. If anyone can make the phone market what it should be, Apple are definitely a company that is capable of producing. People have come to expect phones that have all these features, but none of them work very well. Hopefully the iPhone will help turn the industry upside down and give companies such as Nokia a kick up the ### because to be honest mobile phone companies have been lazy just rehashing the same old features with the same slow, unresponsive software on these phones. I am left wanting my phone to be so much better, hopefully the iPhone will change this.
I'm am VERY concerned about battery life, as you know phones with a bunch of features have considerably less battery time to that of a typical cell phone and MOST of the features that are on the iPhone with the exception of iTunes intregation are on plenty of other smart phones that are much cheaper.

My problem is:
- stuck in a two year contract
- phone only has 8GB capacity
- you can get a GOOD cell phone AND a 80gb video iPod for around the same price
- stuck on at&t which really doesn't have a good reputation
- features of the iPhone are already available on other smart phones, the biggest difference is the iPhone is stylish and has a touchscreen (though other smart phones have a touch screen too)

We as iPod users would probably find the iPhone even more useless as I'm sure a lot of us already have a nano/video/shuffle and a working cell phone. I'm just not willing to pay $600 for the convience of a all-in-one device...I'm perfectly content with carrying two devices that do their work independently (iPod for music, cell for calls) and better than these all in one devices.

If the iPhone can actually seamlessly intregate all its features in a nice and tidy interface, Great. If the iPhone can have a GREAT battery life with all the features it packs Great. I just really don't see it doing either of these, its going to require A HELL of a LOT of juice to be able to play MUSIC for say 20 hours or video for 6 and STILL be able to maintain battery power for calls/internet for an entire day.

kyussmondo

paranoidxe said:
I'm am VERY concerned about battery life, as you know phones with a bunch of features have considerably less battery time to that of a typical cell phone and MOST of the features that are on the iPhone with the exception of iTunes intregation are on plenty of other smart phones that are much cheaper.

My problem is:
- stuck in a two year contract
- phone only has 8GB capacity
- you can get a GOOD cell phone AND a 80gb video iPod for around the same price
- stuck on at&t which really doesn't have a good reputation
- features of the iPhone are already available on other smart phones, the biggest difference is the iPhone is stylish and has a touchscreen (though other smart phones have a touch screen too)

We as iPod users would probably find the iPhone even more useless as I'm sure a lot of us already have a nano/video/shuffle and a working cell phone. I'm just not willing to pay $600 for the convience of a all-in-one device...I'm perfectly content with carrying two devices that do their work independently (iPod for music, cell for calls) and better than these all in one devices.

If the iPhone can actually seamlessly intregate all its features in a nice and tidy interface, Great. If the iPhone can have a GREAT battery life with all the features it packs Great. I just really don't see it doing either of these, its going to require A HELL of a LOT of juice to be able to play MUSIC for say 20 hours or video for 6 and STILL be able to maintain battery power for calls/internet for an entire day.
I agree with you on the battery life, however, until we actually see the phone for real we are unable to make clear judgement and can only base it on assumptions. Furthermore, this is not specifically an iPhone issue, this is an issue on most new phones.

2 year contracts are almost becoming a thing of the norm with most new phones as well, so it is hardly fair to completely blame the iPhone for that.

8GB for MOST people is probably more than enough for music and a few videos. If Apple wants to push videos more though they will have to increase capacity, but people still primarily use audio so I don't think this is a major issue, plus look at how well the Nano's have sold.

Well, GOOD is subjective. In my opinion there is not a single phone I have seen yet that makes me go, WOW!

I do not live in the US so I do not know much about US carriers. I am sure if the iPhone is a success on AT&T then more carriers will sign up.

It is true that there are phones with these features already. However, the iPhone is not merely just a pretty box with a touchscreen. There are plenty of phones out there that have the features and they look great. Although, the big problem with them is the software that is loaded onto these phones, they are just useless and tedious to use. Apple are primarily a software company and they are company who can sort this issue out.

Maybe the iPhone is too much too soon? If it works though and it works great and the battery life is reasonable, then I will definitely get one.

kaician

on battery life....

granted it's a conversion device, and there are some compromises... But seriously, how often do you listen to music for 20 hours in a day, then talk on the phone for another 5? It's nice to know you can, but there are sacrifices in life. The people who are going to get this phone know that it can do more than their ipod or cellphone right now. But they also know that it has certain limitations. They know they'll have to charge it everyday depending on their usage. I know that I have a normal phone now, but it has a cradle, so when i get home i pput in on the cradle and it charges... I'm sure that a lot of people have this habit. It's probably not going to be that hard to do that with the iphone either. Just set it on the cradle to charge as well as manage your music...

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
slashjunior said:
8GB for MOST people is probably more than enough for music and a few videos. If Apple wants to push videos more though they will have to increase capacity, but people still primarily use audio so I don't think this is a major issue, plus look at how well the Nano's have sold.
Good lord. Not this again? 8GB may be enough for a phone, but there's no way to draw a direct comparison between Nano sales figures and capacity requirements for other devices. People need to stop doing that because the comparison is meaningless at its core.

slashjunior said:
I do not live in the US so I do not know much about US carriers. I am sure if the iPhone is a success on AT&T then more carriers will sign up.
It's not a matter of others "signing up." Apple and ATT are in an exclusive agreement for at least the next two years. Even if other carriers wanted iPhone, they wouldn't be able to get it.

slashjunior said:
Apple are primarily a software company and they are company who can sort this issue out.
No, Apple isn't "primarily a software company." They are both a hardware and a software company.

slashjunior said:
Maybe the iPhone is too much too soon? If it works though and it works great and the battery life is reasonable, then I will definitely get one.
Hardly. If anything, iPhone is already behind the curve. It's primary advantage is the elegance of the interface but in terms of raw features, other phones have as much or more right now. A year from now iPhone's feature set will look even weaker.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
kaician said:
granted it's a conversion device, and there are some compromises... But seriously, how often do you listen to music for 20 hours in a day, then talk on the phone for another 5? It's nice to know you can, but there are sacrifices in life. The people who are going to get this phone know that it can do more than their ipod or cellphone right now. But they also know that it has certain limitations. They know they'll have to charge it everyday depending on their usage. I know that I have a normal phone now, but it has a cradle, so when i get home i pput in on the cradle and it charges... I'm sure that a lot of people have this habit. It's probably not going to be that hard to do that with the iphone either. Just set it on the cradle to charge as well as manage your music...

You can't dismiss battery life that easily. iPhone, due to its nature as a music and video player, is going to put a lot more demand on the battery than most other phones. If the battery isn't significantly more powerful than the mainline iPods are right now, it's going to be badly underpowered. The last thing anyone wants is for their phone to die in mid conversation. That's why a strong battery is important. It's not a matter of listening to music for 20 hours. It's a matter of having the phone work reliably when you're not in a position to charge it up. That means that it needs to be capable of working for extended periods of time, not just a few hours between charges.