June 29th...Its Yours!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

joeylang

New member
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
88
Points
0
OMG I cant wait for the 29th now. The only problem is that i have to convince my mom to pay the difference and she has blatently stated she is not gonna buy me a new phone again this year. I have 400 saved up though so i dont think it will be that big of a problem.
 

Eric Lewis

Apple Lover
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
1,796
Points
0
Location
London Canada eh?
25 days until i get mine hopefully..if it is in canada..if not ill drive to america...sign for a 2 year plan and then after that bring it to canada...im desperate!
 

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
6,997
Points
0
Location
Silicon Valley
Ha-ha. It's been awhile for such excitement. Good phone or not, I'm glad for the firm release date. Who has mapped out all Cingular stores within your 300 miles ratio? :D
 

kyussmondo

New member
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
866
Points
0
Location
Ipswich, UK
Eric Lewis said:
25 days until i get mine hopefully..if it is in canada..if not ill drive to america...sign for a 2 year plan and then after that bring it to canada...im desperate!
Will you be able to get it to work in Canada?
 

hightek505

New member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
56
Points
0
Age
36
Website
www.myspace.com
joeylang said:
OMG I cant wait for the 29th now. The only problem is that i have to convince my mom to pay the difference and she has blatently stated she is not gonna buy me a new phone again this year. I have 400 saved up though so i dont think it will be that big of a problem.

i'm pretty sure my current cell phone cost under the difference you mom would have to pay (200).

staying on topic, i will NOT be standing in line, nor getting this phone.

A) i have verizon and am quite pleased
B) don't wanna break my contract pay an extra 150 or whatever
C) there will be some problems with it that i don't wanna deal with.

it's cool though.
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
13,238
Points
36
Age
48
Location
Toronto, Canada
Website
www.ilounge.com
It is very unlikely we'll see it available in Canada by June 29th.

If you were to buy one in the U.S. and sign up for a two-year plan (assuming you can do this), you'd better not plan on using it as a phone up here, as the roaming rates will drain your bank account pretty fast.

Of course, if you can get it unlocked and put a Rogers SIM card in it, that's a different story. Mind you, you'll still be on a two-year contract with Cingular for no practical use whatsoever.
 

kylo4

New member
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Messages
1,662
Points
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Rogers is carrying the iPhone here. So I assume that means that the iPhone's plan is with Rogers when it comes out.
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
13,238
Points
36
Age
48
Location
Toronto, Canada
Website
www.ilounge.com
Actually, there's no evidence of that, since Rogers has been very quiet... In January, there was information sent out by reps that they would be carrying it, but with no timeline. In April, Rogers backpedalled, officially dismissing claims that they would be carrying the iPhone as "speculation."

The bottom line is that Rogers does play these things very close to the vest on any phone that they plan to release, both to protect their existing sales and to make sure they're properly prepared for the release. Whether or not they'll be carrying it, and when, is anybody's guess. Although stranger things have happened, I would be very surprised if it was available in Canada on June 29th (although hope springs eternal... :) ).
 

kylo4

New member
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Messages
1,662
Points
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Jesse, maybe it won't be released in Canada by that time (I would expect mid to late July), but I read that Rogers would carry the iPhone recently on a site of theirs. That would be interesting to see.
 

paranoidxe

New member
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
3,316
Points
0
I'm excited for June 29th..not for the iPhone..but FINALLY apple can put focus on a new VIDEO iPOD.

I love how all these phones with mp3 playback are out, Nokia Music Xpress, Chocolate, there was a new phone from Sprint with mp3 playback..makes me laugh. Just like camera phones..pretty damn useless.
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
13,238
Points
36
Age
48
Location
Toronto, Canada
Website
www.ilounge.com
kylo4 said:
Jesse, maybe it won't be released in Canada by that time (I would expect mid to late July), but I read that Rogers would carry the iPhone recently on a site of theirs. That would be interesting to see.
Rumours abound, and I've been seeing speculation all over the place.

What Rogers site did you see anything conclusive on, as I haven't been able to find it. If you can post a link, that would be interesting, since they publicly disavowed that last month.
 

philapod

New member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
82
Points
0
paranoidxe said:
I love how all these phones with mp3 playback are out, Nokia Music Xpress, Chocolate, there was a new phone from Sprint with mp3 playback..makes me laugh. Just like camera phones..pretty damn useless.
makes you laugh? Why? You're missing out on so much if you dont give these convergence devices a try.

I have a SEk750, its got a 2.0megapixel auto focus cam in it, and I love how I can spontaneously take pictures, even though I didn't bring my 'camera'
It's not SLR quality, but it saves me from those, Gah I wish I had my camera, moments.

Another example, while we were out, my mom saw flowers that she thought would look great in our backyard. The flower's name was something like.. 'Habenaria ciliaris' No one had a pen, and no one was gonna remember that, so I took a picture of the flower and the name tag. We looked up the name when we got home. We were even able to make sure the plant wasn't labeled incorrectly by comparing the photo I took with the photos online.

The beautiful thing is, I'm not carrying anything extra. I just have to carry what I've always carried in my front left pocket. my cell phone.

So anyway, my point is, maybe you haven't figured out how these new devices will fit into your lifestyle, but plenty of other people have.

still makes you laugh? Well, maybe in your case... "Ignorance is bliss"
 

kyussmondo

New member
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
866
Points
0
Location
Ipswich, UK
I must say, I am impressed with my new Sony Ericsson W880i as an MP3 player. The sound is good and the music management isn't half bad either. It is only 1GB, but one model up and you can get the 4GB model. Surely Apple are a bit worried about this and how this will effect Nano sales?

I see more and more people using their phones as portable music devices. Or more annoyingly playing their music on the speaker phone so everyone has to listen.

I don't think Apple has to worry yet, but these phones are catching up, especially the Sony Ericssons. This phone I have isn't much bigger than a Nano, plus in my opinion it looks just as great, plus it doubles up as a phone and camera. This is why Apple are so keen to make the iPhone I think, because as these phones get better then people will have no need for a Nano if it is built just as well into their phone.

I fully agree with Philapod. I have my phone and camera covered in my mobile phone. The 2 MP camera is adequate for everyday use. Believe me, I love my iPod, but the day I can get rid of it and just use my phone for my music as well as my iPod does. I want my life to be simple, revolving around as few devices as possible. My laptop, which doubles as desktop computer and a phone when I am mobile which is capable of playing music, taking pictures and having a phone.

It is like cars. Most cars come with a CD Player these days. For a car that already has a CD Player, very few people would then go out and replace it with an aftermarket one. There are some that do who have specialist needs.
 
Last edited:

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
6,997
Points
0
Location
Silicon Valley
Too bad Sony is stuck in the "walkman" style era. Wuss up with those "two-moons" thing? They update the look to something 21st century then I may take a look.
 

paranoidxe

New member
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
3,316
Points
0
philapod said:
makes you laugh? Why? You're missing out on so much if you dont give these convergence devices a try.

I have a SEk750, its got a 2.0megapixel auto focus cam in it, and I love how I can spontaneously take pictures, even though I didn't bring my 'camera'
It's not SLR quality, but it saves me from those, Gah I wish I had my camera, moments.

Another example, while we were out, my mom saw flowers that she thought would look great in our backyard. The flower's name was something like.. 'Habenaria ciliaris' No one had a pen, and no one was gonna remember that, so I took a picture of the flower and the name tag. We looked up the name when we got home. We were even able to make sure the plant wasn't labeled incorrectly by comparing the photo I took with the photos online.

The beautiful thing is, I'm not carrying anything extra. I just have to carry what I've always carried in my front left pocket. my cell phone.

So anyway, my point is, maybe you haven't figured out how these new devices will fit into your lifestyle, but plenty of other people have.

still makes you laugh? Well, maybe in your case... "Ignorance is bliss"
Let me know how the battery life in these phones compare to a 80gb video iPod ok?

Also, let me know when they get a capacity as big as the video iPod, and let me know when they can play video at a higher frame rate than 15. Let me know when they have 5 megapixel cameras on them.

My point? a Cell Phone is a cell phone, it shouldn't be trying to be anything else. a camera, music player are all useless to me. I'd much rather carry two devices around with me that do their own functions better than these all-in-one devices. Whats a extra 5.5 ounces going to hurt me to carry around? After all I have two pockets.
 
Last edited:

Eric Lewis

Apple Lover
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
1,796
Points
0
Location
London Canada eh?
well i hope it is...if my grades are good..(i get report cards the 25th for grade 11) i get an iphone on the 29th for graduation
 
Top