• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Jonathan Ive awarded honorary doctors today

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Doc Evils

I Know You Love Me
Jonathan Ive awarded honorary doctorate today

Edit:Who is Jonathan Ive? the guy who designed your iPod and iMac.

So today, Mr. Ive came to my art college to be awarded a doctorate for his achievement in design. There were only 20 people from each year from product design and a few others from different courses too, along with people from the press.

The first part had him dressed with a robe thingy for his doctorate while a bunch of high up people were talking about what he had achieved with his designs.

After that was done, Dylan Jones, the editor of British GQ and a former student of my college had a little season asking Mr.Ive questions with very interesting replies. This went on for 2 and a bit hours until we came to the part were the audience asked Mr.Ive questions.

Once that was finished, there was a little cocktail in the main building which was quite crowded in the start. Afterwards, as a lot of people had left and a very few people remaining, guess who came?:D

I managed to have a nice little conversation with the design god himself and just realized the amount of truth he says! This guy has had a great influence on me, no just design but the actual thinking behind it.

Anyway here are some pictures.

Me and Mr. Ive :D

P.S my spelling Suxxors :p

Last edited:

bdb

On the B side of life
For anyone else who had no idea who Jonathan Ive is, from wikipedia:

"Jonathan P. Ive CBE (born February 1967 in London) is Senior Vice President of Industrial Design at Apple Computer. Ive led the team that designed the iMac, a key product in turning Apple's fortunes at a difficult time for the company, and the iPod, which has established Apple as the dominant presence in the mp3 player market."

Doc Evils

I Know You Love Me
stickuto said:
Thats dam cool.

What words of wisdom did he have to say about design?
He went great lengths on explaining this and it may sound corny, but don't design to make money.

Won't make sense to you, but I think he coined well by saying someone invents the radio and then comes up with a certain design which everybody else copies, then comes the cassette has a certain design and then everybody copies, etc.

Innovation and paying attention to that micro and macro plays an important part.

He was talking about the amazing feat they pulled off with the new shuffle since the tolerances for the aluminium is something crazy like 0.03mm. The new iMacs stand was apparently very difficult to make because when people changed the postion of the screen it would apprantley wobble, so they made some kind of new material in a horse shoe shape that is used in eath quakes to abosorb any energy so it prevents the wobbling. This issue he highlighted was that Apple fixed the problem rather than most companies leaving it to the user to do (spot the subtle shot there;))

He also mentioned the Zune too...

Doc Evils

I Know You Love Me
papayaninja said:
In what capacity. Congrats on getting to meet him!
Well he talked about companies realizing that when you design something you need to do both the hardware AND software aspect in order to be successful and mentioned the 'Microsoft Zune Thingy' in regard of this. Apprantely before he came to London, he played around with one.

Don't think he was too keen on it being a wannabe iPod clone to be honest.

neb

Thank you for sharing your experience, it's quite a cool one. I think his role is quite understated and had it not been for his designs perhaps people like Dylan Jones would not write about the iPod in his magazines, which essentially made it what it is today.

For anyone interested, Apple continues to storm the world of design through simplicity. Wallpaper* nominated the company twice in its annual design awards, for the Black Macbook and Shuffle (Second carnation). Vote if you so wish :)

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
To be fair I don't think Dylan Jones "made it what it is today".
I have never read GQ and I made the mistake of buying his book "iPod, therefore I am" and I found it tedious reading. I gave up in the end. Hardly an important element of the success of the iPod.

yinyang

Retired
excellent that you got to meet Jonathan Ive :)

good design is invariably under appreciated except by people that really know!

shame the Barcelona Chairs were white leather - should always be black imho ;)

neb

MadPict said:
To be fair I don't think Dylan Jones "made it what it is today".
I have never read GQ and I made the mistake of buying his book "iPod, therefore I am" and I found it tedious reading. I gave up in the end. Hardly an important element of the success of the iPod.
"...people like Dylan Jones..."

I never said he is the sole reason for the transition from music player to cultural phenomenon. I'm just using him as an example. The publicity from fashion/design magazines is just a cog in the machine that drives consumer tastes and preferences. I thought it was a relevant post considering Ive is the main focus of this thread. I cannot comment on his book, or him as a person.

Doc Evils

I Know You Love Me
Mr.Ive is a fantastic guy to talk to. Seriously, this guy is right now on top of the design world, yet he did not have a single trace of ego lurking around him.

What I found pretty cool about him is that he is very down to earth and enjoys talking to students and answering (annoying) questions on various design geek subjects (bar the top secret stuff).

Learning his inspiration for the iPod was cool too.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Just the way I read your post - "...perhaps people like Dylan Jones would not write about the iPod in his magazines, which essentially made it what it is today" - made it seem like it was Jones' magazines which made the iPod a success....

Albert,
Maybe they got white ones in specially? ;)

Pikemann_Urge

yinyang said:
good design is invariably under appreciated except by people that really know!

shame the Barcelona Chairs were white leather - should always be black imho ;)
Firstly, I agree that Barcelona Chairs are nicer when black. My friend has a pair. ;) But I think the first pair were in white leather (for the Kind and Queen of Spain). Got to love van der Rohe.

Secondly, you're right about design being underappreciated. However there is a subconscious attraction to good design even in the minds of those who aren't into it. Apple was one influence that got me interested in industrial design.

Ive deserves all the accolades due to him.