Joining takes forever

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ranflagg

Hi,

I used Join Together to join most of my audiobooks. I had no problems with the small books, but joining the larger ones does not work so far.
One book is for example is Harry Potter 6. It consists of 30 mp3 files (one per chapter), 15 -20MB each . When I start Join Together everything seems normal. It gets the tracks from itunes and then exports the movie (at least it says "Film exportieren", which is german and means "exporting movie"), but when the message "Creating Chapters" appears, nothing more happens. The program does not crash or delivers an error message. It simply says "creating chapters" and stays in that condition (little circle keeps moving). I tried it several times with different books. Today I closed the program after 12 hours.

are the files to big, are there too many, am I not patient enough?

Thanks for the help

Sorry, forgot to mention I use Mac OS 10.6.2, iTunes 9.0.2 and JoinTogether 5.4.

Last edited:

ranflagg

Seriously??? No one??

If you need more information or something is unclear, let me know!

clavere

Join together takes forever

I am having the same problem. It worked one time for me. I am also getting the error Unable to change file type. Macintosh HD:Users:myname:application
When I click Darn, ok it starts creating chapters and never finishes

Finder version 10.6.2
Itunes 9.0.3
Join Together 5.4

CorinOnTheCob

Max sample size on iPods and iPhones

I have had this same issue and I believe it's because of the max sample size on iPod/Phones. You can't have a file over 2 billion samples on these devices or they won't play. I think that what is happening is similar to what's described on the Splasm site re their BookBuilder program, quote below. I've found in Join Together that the sweet spot is about 5 CD's worth of data works great and converts quickly and anything larger than that works only sometimes for me, probably depending on what sample rate I originally ripped the CD's at... YMMV

The iPod and iPhone can handle files that contain approximately 2 billion audio samples or less. This translates into roughly 27 hours for Audiobook Builder's Low Quality preset (22.05 kHz), 18 hours for its Normal Quality preset (32 kHz) and 13 hours for its High Quality preset (44.1 kHz). The lower the audio sample rate the longer your parts can be. It's possible to reach a maximum part length of 74 hours by selecting the Custom... Quality option and choosing an 8 kHz sample rate. Files that exceed the 2 billion sample limit will not play properly on the iPod or iPhone.

CorinOnTheCob

Thought about that a second and realize the limit must be on what my settings are in JoinTogether and that the ripped rate shouldn't matter... I'm using 128K and 44.1 kHz so my sample rates are pretty large...