Jays q-Jays Review

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ajmiarka

Anyone else yet have these for review on iLounge forums?

I have a pair of q-Jays on order from AudioCubes. As soon as I receive them, I can put up my initial impressions and comparisons.

billc

ajmiarka said:
Order shipped out today. Should have them by Thursday and be able to provide an initial review.
looking forward to your review.......appreciate it

have you had the chance to try the d-jays as well?

ajmiarka

Went home and picked up the q-Jays during lunch. I'll listen to them this afternoon at work and be able to provide some initial impressions tonight.

ajmiarka

Here are my initial thoughts on Jays q-Jays, comparing them to Denon ah-C700s. As everyone knows on this thread, the q-Jays have dual armatures per phone, while the c700s have a single dynamic driver per phone.

Setup
Apple iPhone and Macbook as audio source, no amp... I should probably get one soon, no? :)

Fit
To start, I have smaller ears. It's always been a challenge to find phones that will fit properly and not cause me too much pain. The q-Jays fit perfectly for me. I use the small silicone tips, down from the medium ones that are attached when you open the box. There are even a size smaller than I use, so it should be no problem for someone to find the correct tip. The Denons are also comfortable and easy to insert. You don't insert them as far as the q-Jays, but because of the larger sound chamber, the Denons constantly rubbed against my ear canals. Not terribly mind you, but enough to be annoying with extended use.

As far as physical size, it really takes some time to get over how small the q-Jays actually are. The q-Jays are very easily inserted into to the ear canal and are easy to take out. I'm not afraid of tugging on them to get them out of there. They are for the most part hidden within my ear and I would have no trouble laying my head on a pillow.

Sound
My first thoughts on sound are that the q-Jays are balanced, with no emphasis on high/mid/low, and no level overpowering the others. When an instrument wants to be heard, it is cleanly separated from the others. This has always fascinated me about IEMs and their ability to separate instruments. Compared to the Denons, the Denons seem to produce an enhanced mid and bass which seem to give them a fuller sound. I remember someone referring to it as a fun sound, rather than an analytical sound.

Both phones sound really really good!, especially for acoustic/live/rock music which I listen to most of the time. :D

The q-Jays provide a wider soundstage, but somehow keep the vocals close to your head. The Denons push everything out farther is seems, even the vocals. Both phones allow you to easily separate instruments. The q-Jays provide more of a "live" experience than the Denons. The Denons provide an up-front experience with the instruments. Does that make sense?

Anyways, thats my first impression of the q-Jays. They have an excellent product and I can't wait to listen some more!

I'll keep updating this post with more impressions.

Last edited:

ajmiarka

billc said:
looking forward to your review.......appreciate it

have you had the chance to try the d-jays as well?
I used the d-Jays about 6 months ago. They were good, but don't provide as much instrument separation and bass as the q-Jays. The q-Jays sound excellent! And they are even dual drivers which compete directly with the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pros and Shure SE420s.

billc

thanks for taking the time to post your impressions......my budget puts the q-jays out of reach but I'm hoping for equal quality and comfort with the d-jays Did you order directly from Jays or audiocube?

thanks again

bc

ajmiarka

billc said:
thanks for taking the time to post your impressions......my budget puts the q-jays out of reach but I'm hoping for equal quality and comfort with the d-jays Did you order directly from Jays or audiocube?

thanks again

bc
Ordered from Audiocubes both time.

ajmiarka

Another interesting thing I noticed about the headphones is their ability to layer sounds to the side. It's as if I can hear instruments behind other instruments coming from the left or right.

A good example of this is Guster's Come Downstairs and Say Hello (Keep It Together Album). The main guitar seems to be playing closer to me than the other instruments used for filler music, all while the vocals remain right in front of me.

Another example can be heard on The Chemical Brother's One Too Many Mornings (Exit Planet Dust Album) where there are just so many things going on it's crazy.

Awesome!

yenlai

Hi, I just wanted to verify something you briefly mentioned in your review.

You said you used an iPhone as an audio source, does that mean the q-Jays fit the iPhone's narrow input? Or did you use an adapter?

Best,
-y.

ajmiarka

yenlai said:
Hi, I just wanted to verify something you briefly mentioned in your review.

You said you used an iPhone as an audio source, does that mean the q-Jays fit the iPhone's narrow input? Or did you use an adapter?

Best,
-y.
You need to use an adapter for the iPhone. You can use Griffin's or Belkin's iPhone adapter. I actually bought the Shure Music Adapter for the iPhone so that I can still take calls while listening to music.

yenlai

Ah, many thanks for the quick reply.

I'd rather forgo the use of an adapter, opting for less doo-hickeys to keep track of. I just purchased the Vmoda Vibe Duo Control, and other than it's fairly lenghthy moniker, I'm happy with it.

Your review of the q-Jays, did pique my interest, and I'd seriously consider upgrading to something else for more comfort and better sound.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Best,
-y.

ajmiarka

bobb-mini said:
How's the sound isolation ajmiarka? How does it perform on subways, airports, plane/train rides?
Isolation is so-so with silicone tips. You will hear outside sound, but it is muffled. Jays is also releasing a pair of foam tips in the coming months which will provide better isolation. They are sending me a pair and I will be able to comment once I get them.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
foamies guaranteed to work but hard to clean and makes body sticks out. I'd rather they use the triple-flange buds.

ajmiarka

bobb-mini said:
foamies guaranteed to work but hard to clean and makes body sticks out. I'd rather they use the triple-flange buds.
I think these are the combined foamy/hard outer shell type, like the ones that come with the new Shure SE lineup.

I'll let ya know once I receive them. The SE foam tips are awesome. They last a lot longer than the original foamies.

ajmiarka

After extensive listening to the q-Jays, I would have to say they are one of the best headphones I have listened to. The price is right for a dual driver headphone and they are extremely small which makes them easy to take in and out of the ears. I have adjusted to the sound and now hear a more bass then when I first started listening to them. Everything is clear and I am able to pick out instruments within the music.

I would recommend these to anyone who wants a dual driver experience at a lower price!

dragontit

I'm still on the fence between this & UE Super.fi 5 Pro. Which should I get?

ajmiarka

Hi dragontit...ummm, nice name. :D

As far as a comparison between the Super.fi 5s and the q-Jays, it's really more of a fit preference as both are very detailed and provide a great sound. The Super.fi 5s will give you more punchy bass (like shack your ears bass), but the way they fit might not suit everyone. The q-Jays provide the best balance between sound and fit, especially being so small. That's what makes them so appealing.

I have since moved on to the Shure SE530 from the q-Jays. I worked my way up the Shure new SE line and finally found the SE530s for $289 on eBay and couldn't pass up that deal. The problem is that the more expensive you go with headphones does not always equate to the same ratio in performance. Going from the Sony EX71s to the q-Jays will give you more of a sound difference than going from the q-Jays to the SE530s.

Hope that helps somewhat. Trust me, once you get into IEMs, it's like trying to find the holy grail. The questions you need to ask are how is the fit? are the phones in my budget? and can I sacrifice some sound quality if I can't afford xzy?

adam

Last edited:

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
aj, that's quite a quick switch... u had those Qs for like what 3 months?

So what's the SQ like comparing between the 530 and the Q?

Just watch out for the infamous Shure cable problem, and keep (or make up?) a receipt in case u need warranty repairs.