iWeb for iPad? Yay? Nay? or Going away?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gedansky

One of the reasons I waited to get the iPad, was that I preferred the ease of portability over a laptop, but wanted to see if Apple would release more of their MAC software in iPad form, the iLife series, in particular.

Well, they released Garage band so you can learn to play guitar, among other things. And, iMovie, so you can transfer your movie files to the iPad and edit them in your spare time. So, I was waiting for iWeb, to allow me to edit and publish changes to my business website, on the fly.

MONTHS ago, the rumor came out that Apple had requested a patent for iWeb for the iPad. But, I had heard nothing until recently, when another rumor came out, suggesting that Apple would no longer be updating or releasing new versions of iWeb, as of 2012. It was speculated that this had something to do with the passing of Mobile Me, which was the main recommended, but not even close to the only way, to host an iWeb site.

If this is true, there will be much more disappointment then whether or not I can eventually use it on the iPad. There many iWeb sites out there, and several applications have been written to optimize iWeb sites.

So, does anyone really have the inside track? Is iWeb really going away? Is it possible someone else might buy it from Apple and continue to support it?

I'm just trying to figure out whether or not I should wait and see, or re-write my site in a web based application, so I can definitely updated it from any resource.

Thanks all for your time!

S2_Mac

Not really a secret that iWeb's going away. MobileMe will continue serving paid accounts until June 20, 2012. After that, you'll need to transition your site to another host.

The prospect of Apple selling off the iWeb portion of iLife seems very remote; it's not at all the type of thing Apple does (especially since iWeb docs are rather tightly integrated with Apple servers). There's other templating software out there (meant to be run from "real" computers), but anything worth a hoot costs $50+. (Although there's still plenty of fee blog software available.)

gedansky

Not really a secret that iWeb's going away. MobileMe will continue serving paid accounts until June 20, 2012. After that, you'll need to transition your site to another host.

The prospect of Apple selling off the iWeb portion of iLife seems very remote; it's not at all the type of thing Apple does (especially since iWeb docs are rather tightly integrated with Apple servers). There's other templating software out there (meant to be run from "real" computers), but anything worth a hoot costs $50+. (Although there's still plenty of fee blog software available.)
Thanks! I'm a little bummed. I am out and about a lot, and the ability to make updates in iWeb on my iPad would have been very helpful. Laptops are just too cumbersome to carry everywhere, and this was a cost effective way for me to get a mobile Apple device.

That said, I'm looking into a web based, modular development solution that I can access from my iPad. It will mean rewriting my website, but, I've done it before, I can do it again.

Thanks!