ivolume in car via dock connector--will it work?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

krcas

I am struggling with wildly;y varying volume levels in my library (30K songs spanning 40 years). After reading all the "fixes" I tried Soundcheck (not good) and decided that ivolume appears to be my best solution since I have largely Apple Lossless and I'm on PC. However, there seems to be some question as to whether ivolume will work with the digital out of the 30 pin connectors on my 2 160 GB Classics--if it will pass the necessary tags to adjust volume. I'm connecting the Classics to a very high-end Car Stereo via USB. Ivolume's website says:

My iPod/iPhone/iPad is connected via Dock Connector to my stereo system. Is that supported?

Unfortunately that depends. There seem to be at least two different ways to get audio out of the Dock Connector. Most probably that is analog and digital. In some cases Sound Check works just fine, but in other cases the volume adjustments are simply ignored. Hopefully Apple fixes this issue at some time. The best option is to use the headphone jack whenever possible.

Can anybody tell me if they have had success/ failure using ivolume via 30 pin/USB out?

Thx!

cjmnews

Staff member
iVolume uses Sound Check to get the settings. So you'll have to use that as well.

iVolume is apparently only compatible with iTunes 12.2, if you have upgraded, it will not work, going backwards is a painful process.

To answer your original question, since the data is embedded in the song file, and Sound Check is processing the values, yes the 30 pin connector will have the adjustments.

krcas

Thanks for your help! My main computer is on 12.9 so that won't work. But, I have a couple older machines (Win 7) that I could install ITunes 12.2 on. Since I keep my library on an external drive, I could connect that but I suspect I'd need to go through a process to create an ITL that was compatible (assuming the 12.9 ITL on the external drive will not work with 12.2 Itunes). If this gave me a workable solution and was not too much trouble, I'd be willing to do it.

If I installed 12.2 on a Win 7 64 bit machine, do you know a fast/ easy way to get it to "see" the files on the external drive? Assuming I'd have to remove the 12.9 .itl and somehow create a new one for 12.2?

Thanks again for your help!

cjmnews

Staff member
The easiest way to get it to see the files is to create a new library (not on the shared drive but locally, or on the shared drive with a different name). You can hold the Shift key when starting iTunes (Apple key on Mac) to create the new library, then use File->Add Folder to Library and select the top folder of the music on the external drive. That will add all the music without playlists. I think this should work for you as the song files will be updated, so sync from your normal computer and it all should work.

krcas

Thanks for your help!

Will give this a try and report back