• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

iTunes won't add some videos to library...?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

podliver

I've converted the videos to H.264/MPEG4 and all the right stuff and they play in iTunes and on my iPod.

The problem is, when I drag and drop or "Add Files" to iTunes, some of the videos will not import to the iTunes library. This usually only happens with video files 20 MB in size or over. Why won't iTunes add these videos to my library?

Please help, there are a bunch of videos I can't put on my iPod because of this...:mad:

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Okay...

Well can you double check the settings.

Do the movies open and play in Quicktime? If so, can you find out their settings?

Perhaps the average bitrate actually went over the limits, occasionally during encoding the bitrate jumps up to high on average. This happens occasionally.

I don't think the file size would be the issue, unless we were talking 4GB in size (the fat32 limits)...

Depending on the program you used to convert, I have ran into problems were I have click on settings to keep the resolution "same as source" and it's scale does not fit... (using Handbrake).

Are you getting any error messages?

huddo234

help....

ok the same thing happened with my iTunes. i renamed the file to a number or something short then added the file to itunes, the name on itunes was the same name it was b4 i edited it to a shorter version. dunno how this happened, hopw this helped

pasqual

tried renaming video files to a shorter filename and they still won't appear in my iTunes library after i add the folder.

the video files are .avi and i know they'll need to be converted in order to be played on my ipod, but how am i supposed to convert them if they won't even appear in the library.

very frustrating so far and i've owned my ipod only 2 days. any suggestions for good programs to use OTHER THAN iTunes???

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
pasqual said:
tried renaming video files to a shorter filename and they still won't appear in my iTunes library after i add the folder.

the video files are .avi and i know they'll need to be converted in order to be played on my ipod, but how am i supposed to convert them if they won't even appear in the library.

very frustrating so far and i've owned my ipod only 2 days. any suggestions for good programs to use OTHER THAN iTunes???
Welcome to iLounge.

The problelm is that iTunes does not recognize .avi. It only recognizes quicktime compatible formats and then can convert from there.

There are a few other programs out there that can convert the files. Videora iPod converter and a few others. First convert, then add to iTunes for going on off to the iPod.

If you are on a Mac, I highly recommend iSquint instead.

pasqual

hey thanks for the help. i converted the video successfully, but then got this error:

"Your converted video could not be added to your iTunes library. Please see the Troubleshooting section..."

is there a good alternative to iTunes out there? i'm running windows and find iTunes to be a bit of a resource hog and a time waster.

*edit, sorry, forgot to mention, I used videora to convert the video.

Last edited:

GreggMH

Add video to iTunes

Any luck with this? I have some movies that I've added to my itunes on one computer, but when I try to do so on another computer (same iTunes account and sharing is enabled) it's just not showing up. Any advice?

Thanks

kornchild2002

Was it necessary to bump a thread that is a little over 5 years old? You would have been better off posting your own thread along with a bunch of information such as the OS your computer is running (exact OS down to whether it is 32 or 64-bits), the exact version of iTunes (again, remember 32 or 64-bit), the exact settings you used to encode the videos (don't just say mpeg-4 or h.264 as that doesn't say anything other than the container and video type), the software you used, how you are adding these videos to your library, and possibly the source of these videos if you aren't encoding them yourself.

Sparkee

If you are using iTunes 11 look in Movies/Home Videos. When adding new movies to iTunes 11 they get set as Home Video by default. If you find them right click on them, choose Get Info then set the Media Kind to Movie in it's Options tab. I still get burnt by this one at least once a week. ;)