iTunes will not recognize music when files are moved to another hard drive

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Podi

iPod love is deep & fuzzy
I have iTunes 4 and I began to run out of room on my hard disk due to too many iTunes music files. So I went out and bought an additional hard drive and installed it. I moved the file called "Music" to the new hard drive and copied all the music files there and romoved them from the old hard drive to free up space. I changed the location of the iTunes music folder in iTunes preferences folder and now nothing shows up in iTunes. does anyone know how to direct iTunes to another hard disk?? I appreciate any help.

tntracy

You need to "Add Songs to Library" (or something like that - my iBook is at home so I cannot double-check). It is under the "File" menu if I remember correctly.

After selecting this menu pick, simply navigate to the Music folder on you new HDD and click OK. All the songs will then be added to your iTunes library.

Tom

lgagnon

One by one?

I have the same problem because I want to change computer. The "add to library" works very well but you have to do it for each individual songs, so is there a way to do it faster?

caterinka

Hold down control while clicking on files -- if you're using OS X, that is.

tntracy

If your music is in a logical directory / subdirectory (folder) structure, after selecting "Add To Library", all you have to do is navigate to the highest level subdirectory that contains all of your music and click OK. All music from that directory down will be added.

For example, if all of your MP3s and AACs are organized in a subdirectory structure under the folder "iTunes Music"; i.e., under that folder, one folder for each artist, then under those folders, one folder for each album for each artist, just navigate to "iTunes Music" then click "OK" (or "Add" or whatever the "Do It" button is on the "Add To Library" dialog - sorry, but I do not have a Mac here at work to refer to). All songs for all albums for all artists underneath the "iTunes Music" folder will be then added to your iTunes library.

Tom

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
Podi,

If you didn't delete the songs in iTunes, you ought to be able to set your new location to the music Library folder (in Preferences: Advanced). iTunes will tell you it's updating song locations. Then close iTunes and reopen it. See if a song will play. If not, then you will either have to use Tom's method, or you cna click on each song individually i iTunes and when it prompts you, tell it where its new location is.

Podi

iPod love is deep & fuzzy
Toms Method worked perfectly. It was so easy I felt like an idiot not fiquring it out myself. Thanks everyone for your help. iPodlounge comes through yet again, best site ever!

tntracy

Cool! Glad to help, Podi. I'm glad it worked for you.

:Hmmm. "Tom's Method". I like it - has a nice ring to it!: :D

Tom

oneness

i was going to post a new topic about my problem, but it's similar to this one so here goes...

i recently reorganized my music folde.. it used to be arranged by artist - album\song files now it's artist\album\songs. therein lies the problem, my itunes library is now replete with these "!" where itunes can't find the song file.

what's the best to clean this up so itunes recognizes then ew locations of the songs? with over 30GB of music, right-clicking on each song and pointing to the new location is obviously not an option.

i already tried simply "add folder to music library," didn't help. i've still got thousands of entries in my library that need to be updated. ideas?