iTunes video rewind script?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jman995x

Hello,

I'm currently watching some videos (in iTunes) for school and am taking notes in the process. I find that I constantly have to stop the video and then rewind only a little bit (like 5 seconds). If I use the scrubber bar diamond it rewinds way too far. If I use the left arrow key on the keyboard it rewinds way too slowly to go back 5 seconds.

Can anybody let me know of an iTunes script that will allow me to press a shortcut key or hotkey and back up a specified amount of time.
I know there are a lot of scripts out there...I just can't seem to find anybody who's posted one for this function (and I have no idea of how to write a simple script like this).

Thanks,

J.

DeepYogurt

Ever get this to work?

Hi,

Did you ever figure this out? I came across a way if you have Snow Leopard, but unfortunately I don't so can't make use of it (I don't think anyway). Take a look at this Apple discussion:

Can't post a URL since I'm a new member - just look in the

Using iPhone/Music and Video

section and look for the post with a title of "30 Second Rewind in itunes U" (has a message id of 12057171)

If you know of a way to do this on Leopard would really appreciate letting me know.

Thanks...

-Bob

DeepYogurt

More details

In case you have trouble finding the Apple discussion, thought I would just post the details here (here is a copy/paste of what "algal" put there on Aug 7, 2010):

=================begin quote===================
I don't think it was ever available in iTunes U, but here's how I added it via an Automator script.

1. Open Automator.
2. Choose that you want to make a service.
3. Use the dropdowns to select that the services receives "no input" and is available only in iTunes
4. Add the automator action "Run AppleScript", which you can pick from the library in the left pane.
5. In the text field for the applescript, write the following:

on run {input, parameters}
tell application "iTunes"
set player position to (player position - 30)
end tell
return input
end run

6. Save the services with the name "Rewind 30 seconds"

Restart iTunes. In iTunes, a new services item "Rewind 30 seconds" should now appear. Verify it works.

Now we want to associate it with a keyboard shortcut, so

1. open the services preferences pane, go to Keyboard / Keyboard shortcuts
2. In the left pane, go Application Shortcuts
3. Add a shortcut for iTunes called "Rewind 30 seconds"
4. Associate it with whatever keystroke you liked (CMD-9 worked for me)
5. Close system preferences, reopen the preference pane to be sure the shortcut saved.

Restart iTunes. It should work now.
===================end of quote===================

Have fun and again - if you have another way to do this in Leopard please let me know.

-Bob

jman995x

In case you have trouble finding the Apple discussion, thought I would just post the details here (here is a copy/paste of what "algal" put there on Aug 7, 2010):

=================begin quote===================
I don't think it was ever available in iTunes U, but here's how I added it via an Automator script.

1. Open Automator.
2. Choose that you want to make a service.
3. Use the dropdowns to select that the services receives "no input" and is available only in iTunes
4. Add the automator action "Run AppleScript", which you can pick from the library in the left pane.
5. In the text field for the applescript, write the following:

on run {input, parameters}
set player position to (player position - 30)
end tell
return input
end run

6. Save the services with the name "Rewind 30 seconds"

Restart iTunes. In iTunes, a new services item "Rewind 30 seconds" should now appear. Verify it works.

Now we want to associate it with a keyboard shortcut, so

1. open the services preferences pane, go to Keyboard / Keyboard shortcuts
2. In the left pane, go Application Shortcuts
3. Add a shortcut for iTunes called "Rewind 30 seconds"
4. Associate it with whatever keystroke you liked (CMD-9 worked for me)
5. Close system preferences, reopen the preference pane to be sure the shortcut saved.

Restart iTunes. It should work now.
===================end of quote===================

Have fun and again - if you have another way to do this in Leopard please let me know.

-Bob
Nice.
Thanks.
I'll give it a try.

-J

jman995x

Another shortcut I found is if you do Option+Cmd+Left Arrow.....that will rewind your video in iTunes by 5 seconds every time you press that combination. Obviously if you hit the Right Arrow, you Forward the video by 5 seconds each time you hit that key combination.

-J

DeepYogurt

Thanks so much -- thats exactly what I was hoping to find. Didn't realize there were some keyboard shortcuts inside iTunes - there is a really nice summary of them at - darn cant post the freaking url - just do help in iTunes and search for "keyboard shortcuts" if you want to see the entire list.

Thanks again...

-Bob:):):)

ps -- Now if only you could specify the amount of time that it would rewind or fast forward with this shortcut!!!

pps -- what do I need to do to be able to put URL's in a posting?

S2_Mac

Here's a butt-simple rewinder with user-specified rewind time. Note the cavaets following the script ;-)
Code:
property rewind_time : 15

if player state is playing then
		set new_pos to (player position - rewind_time)
		if new_pos < 0 then set new_pos to 0
		set player position to new_pos
	end if
end tell
To use, copy the monospaced text above and paste into a New script doc in Script Editor; Save the script doc to your ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts/ folder; quit iTunes and set up a Cmd-key combo; done. To set the amount of rewind time, enter a number for the rewind_time property up at the top and Save the script as a Script Bundle or Script.

This version only does two things to protect you from yourself: it does nothing if a track is not playing, and it won't rewind a track beyond its beginning. Other than that, there are numerous ways it might screw up.... It doesn't care what's playing -- viddies, music, podcasts are all going to be rewound. If you get tricky and enter a negative number (e.g. -10) the playhead will be advanced, but no check is made against advancing the playhead beyond the end of the track. Time must be entered as seconds; that is, you can't use notation like "1:30" to rewind by 90 seconds.