iTunes Update NOTHING but problems

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Teechur

Website
www.teechur.com
Now I consider myself a pretty savvy computer user. I teach IT courses. I've used computers since I was a kid. I've had an iPod since generation two, and have always used iTunes.

Last update I went ahead and updated iTunes. A bit later I came back to my computer and iTunes had stopped working. Hmm. That's odd. Doesn't usually do that. No big deal, restart.

This happened a few times over the next few days. I figured it had to do with Gapless Playback (determining) so I just restarted each time and when it stopped, it stopped crashing.

Friday I got an iPod Touch. I installed it with no problem, until iTunes stopped working. I restarted and it was importing the library. WTF? Okay. Library appears to be corrupted. WTF?

Many crashes later, and two restores of my iPod Touch later (because it kept telling me to restore it), I delete my files out of the library and re-import them.

Only 6000 import. I have over 17,000 songs.

So I got back, re-import leaving me with duplicates, but easily remedied.

NUMEROUS restarts over the next week, and again it's losing the library. I have the library backed up (once I re-did all my playlists) but of course every time it loses the library I have re-import and that's an hour long process.

Last night once again, the iPod Touch needed to be restored out of the blue. In addition, I'm having the problem where the movies on the Touch play, lose sound, then drop me back to menu. To fix that, I installed a new USB 2.0 card, but for whatever reason iTunes can't SEE my iPods attached to that card. They can see them attached to the onboard ports fine, and other USB devices work fine (Garmin, smartphone).

So I decided to move all my music and movies to my XP computer to see if that helps, since obviously this one is having too many problems with Vista Home Ultimate. I also have NOT updated that iTunes.

Synced music and movies to my external drive, shut computer down (normal iTunes library is located on the c:\ drive). Restart and NOTHING in my iTunes library. I'm not re-importing it for the THIRD time in two weeks.

And I still don't know if I can play movies on my iPod Touch, which is going BACK to the Apple Store if I can't get this figured out.

It almost seems as if the touch is to blame, but I did have crashes before getting the touch. I am beyond frustrated with this whole situation.

AND, just imported all my music in my XP computer and it only imported 6732 files. GRRRRRR

ETA: I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes according to Apple's directions. I also had the issue when I first updated where I had to uninstall and reinstall Quicktime.

Last edited:

electrozoid

Apple Pie Eater
It's hard to give you advice as I don't know what remedies you've tried. Even though it's a long post I can only assume you tried the right things. But from the looks of it, I'd say you didn't try anything and just dodged the problem any way you could. Don't take this the wrong way but let's see from your post.

This happened a few times over the next few days. (...) so I just restarted each time and when it stopped, it stopped crashing.
You didn't address the issue.

(...)until iTunes stopped working. I restarted and it was importing the library. WTF? Okay. Library appears to be corrupted. WTF?
What did you do to address the corrupted library issue?

So I got back, re-import leaving me with duplicates, but easily remedied.
You didn't address the issue, you worked around it.

NUMEROUS restarts over the next week, and again it's losing the library. (...) but of course every time it loses the library I have re-import and that's an hour long process.
You didn't address the issue, you just cleaned up the mess.

I installed a new USB 2.0 card, but for whatever reason iTunes can't SEE my iPods attached to that card.
Did you address this issue?

So I decided to move all my music and movies to my XP computer to see if that helps, since obviously this one is having too many problems with Vista Home Ultimate.
You ran away from the issue! :)

You're running into problems and instead of identifying where/what your problem is, you are managing all these strange symptoms. I say start fresh and add one layer at a time and don't let the problems pile up.

You've got to start with a completely fresh and clean installation of iTunes and Quicktime. Cleanup the installers, the registry, etc. Do you have a good backup of your iTunes .itl file? You shouldn't need to re-import anything if you have this and everything is in its original location.

Teechur

Website
www.teechur.com
electrozoid said:
It's hard to give you advice as I don't know what remedies you've tried. Even though it's a long post I can only assume you tried the right things. But from the looks of it, I'd say you didn't try anything and just dodged the problem any way you could. Don't take this the wrong way but let's see from your post.

You didn't address the issue.

What did you do to address the corrupted library issue?

--I did as Apple suggested. Moved the .itl and .xml files out of the iTunes folder and re-imported the .xml file.

You didn't address the issue, you worked around it.

You didn't address the issue, you just cleaned up the mess.

--Yes, I think I did do that. New toy, and all. I just wanted to get something working so I could play with my Touch. (That sounds kinda wrong.)

Did you address this issue?

You ran away from the issue! :)

You're running into problems and instead of identifying where/what your problem is, you are managing all these strange symptoms. I say start fresh and add one layer at a time and don't let the problems pile up.

You've got to start with a completely fresh and clean installation of iTunes and Quicktime. Cleanup the installers, the registry, etc. Do you have a good backup of your iTunes .itl file? You shouldn't need to re-import anything if you have this and everything is in its original location.
--I did this. I deleted everything, including registry entries. That was actually the second thing I did. I re-downloaded the installation file (in case that was corrupt). Before doing this I backed up the library .xml file (and have been religious doing this since then).

I do appreciate your help. It helps to have someone who is clear thinking help to see past the problems. I know I can tend to do exactly what I teach my students NOT to do, make assumptions that since I know what I'm doing I can just do a, b, c, and d and it'll be fine. I teach do a, test. Do b, test. etc.

Teechur, teach thyself.

I did just get files into the XP computer and synced ONE video into my Touch. It's been playing for 20 minutes without stopping, so if I can at least get THAT working it'll be worth all the hassle and grey hairs.

I'm going to re-read your post and take a look at what I "should" do to rectify the situation. Thanks. All other ideas, definitely appreciated at well.

OH! And to clarify, I actually moved to XP because I think it's the USB drivers with my onboard ports causing issues with my Touch. It wasn't actually to run away completely from the Vista issue. It was to get things going so I could get some stuff on my Touch before a long drive this afternoon.

electrozoid

Apple Pie Eater
Teechur said:
(...)I think it's the USB drivers with my onboard ports causing issues with my Touch.(...)
Drivers are always my focus of attention when this sort of thing rises but others have had success with very simple measures. For example, disconnecting all USB peripherals and reconnecting your iPod/iTouch. Sometimes just using a different port gets things going. And the first place to look at when you've just installed a card (any card for that matter) is 'Device Manager' to check if Windows has properly configured it (no question or exclamation marks).

I feel you're anxiety with your new toy, it's irresistible! But patience is your greatest virtue.

And v7.5 was just fine provided you weren't interested in renting movies. Sometimes it's not worth it to upgrade, this might well be one of those instances for you.

Teechur

Website
www.teechur.com
electrozoid said:
Drivers are always my focus of attention when this sort of thing rises but others have had success with very simple measures. For example, disconnecting all USB peripherals and reconnecting your iPod/iTouch. Sometimes just using a different port gets things going. And the first place to look at when you've just installed a card (any card for that matter) is 'Device Manager' to check if Windows has properly configured it (no question or exclamation marks).

I feel you're anxiety with your new toy, it's irresistible! But patience is your greatest virtue.

And v7.5 was just fine provided you weren't interested in renting movies. Sometimes it's not worth it to upgrade, this might well be one of those instances for you.
Thanks! I appreciate the reply.

I actually did try all onboard ports (since I've run into strange problems like this before). When I installed the new card initially the USB drivers (generic) weren't installing correctly. I uninstalled and reinstalled the card and they show up, but no iPods are detected by iTunes. Very odd. The OS sees them (makes the "connecting" sound, the others show up as disks) but iTunes doesn't see them.

The mobo is an Nvidia and I found a few references to onboard ports with Vista and Nvidia chipset not liking the iTouch. Fortunately I am a geek and have a number of computers (but no Apples...sadness) so I can sync the touch from the XP machine.

I just went through a complete uninstall and reinstall of a brand new iTunes. It crashed four times on Determining Gapless Playback. Seems to be okay now (it's done with that). I'll probably continue to troubleshoot it.

Thanks again! Even if I've tried things, it helps to see them and it can certainly help someone else.