iTunes Update & iCloud

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Kim F

Couple of problems which I think are related. My iTunes library hasn't been updated for eons, its version is 12.12.1.1 . I seem to remember there was a menu option for checking for available updates. Can't find it anywhere!

I'm also having a problem with my MS OUTLOOK calendars syncing with my iPad and iPhone. When this happened in the past, somebody told me the solution was sign out of iCloud and sign back in again which when I did, fixed those problems. However, now when I attempt to open the iCloud interface, after a few minutes of nothing, I get an "Unable to authenticate - please try again" message so I can't actually sign out of my iCloud drive! I'm running WINDOWS 10 with a fresh install last night.

cjmnews

Staff member
Then menu option for updates is in Help->Check for Updates version 12.12.1.1 is the current version. A lot of people use Apple Software Update to keep all the apple software up to date. It is typically installed with iCloud on Windows.

I would guess if you can't authenticate it could be that you are not currently logged in to iCloud and are possibly using the wrong version.

Also, a lot of us are stuck with two factor authentication turned on (no you can't disable it once it has been on 2 weeks), and we need to have an Apple device near us to approve some logins (it is inconsistent) with a 6 digit code. If you didn't have a device with you, you may have missed the prompt. Grab an Apple device that is logged into the same Apple ID, and try again. See if you get asked to allow/deny the device from accessing your account, tap allow, then enter the 6 digit code from your Apple device into the prompt in iCloud where it is asking for the code.

The other possibility is using Windows Store software is causing problems.

Unfortunately there are 2 versions of iCloud, and iTunes. The legacy/Apple version and the Windows Store version. The Windows Store version is usually crippled and does not do what the Apple version can do since there are rules as to what apps are allowed to do when they are in the Windows Store (that may change soon with the deprecation of UWP).

I ALWAYS use the Windows 7 Apple version, never the Windows Store version. I tend to tell everyone to avoid the Window Store if they can.

Kim F

Thanks for that. I am logged into the cloud on the iPhone and iPad. Tried logging out on the devices and logging back on. Have the devices with me and the 2 stage authentication allowed me back in but I can't log out of the cloud on my PC which is the crux of my problems.
Maybe a related matter, when I run iTunes, it takes a full 2 minutes to load my Library (rather than the 2 seconds it used to take) When I click on Store, after 15 minutes, nothing loads.

cjmnews

Staff member
Have you tried to uninstall all Apple software, (iTunes, iCloud, Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device, ...) and reinstall?
Be sure to use the Apple versions for iTunes and iCloud not the Microsoft Store versions, unless it forces you to use the Microsoft Store version.

When iTunes misbehaves it is usually a version compatibility issue in one or more pieces of software.

I am assuming network access is not a problem on that PC as you are using it to post here.