iTunes update from within the program itself

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
According to the announcement on the ITunes update on CNet existing users would be update from within the program itself by going to Help -> Check for updates

I have been trying throughout the day but so far I keep getting the message "4.1 is the current version".

Has anyone been able to update yet using this method? I have no intention of uninstalling and reinstalling so I will wait for the update option to work but I am a bit anxious. ;)

lopster

There are some issues with the built-in update function on version 4.1 so you need to go to the download site to get version 4.1.1.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

The installer will detect the earlier version, unistall it and then install 4.1.1. It does preserve your settings, library and play lists. I updated last night and it worked perfectly.

Al

wickerbill

You can't update from within the program. It just sends you to the download site where you have to download the full 19.1 MB install file.

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
wickerbill said:
You can't update from within the program. It just sends you to the download site where you have to download the full 19.1 MB install file.
Yup I am getting sent there now Wickerbill. Not exactly as seamless as I usually like my upgrades but what can you do right. As long as my play counts, ratings, etc are not erased I can deal. :(

Thanks guys. :)

stark23x

Website
www.right-thoughts.us
From the Apple discussion board:

iTunes 4.1.1 includes improved performance when using your iPod, addresses an incompatibility with Windows 2000 and older third-party CD burning software, and improves support for non-standard mp3 files. Also, the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" preference is now turned off by default.
I'd like to know if this means the folders bug is fixed. This is what I hate about Apple. They never tell you what the hell is going on.

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
From what others in the forums have reported the folder problem is corrected.

I would verify this but to be honest I just upgraded iTunes on one of my machines to make sure the new version works well with my machine.

If all works well on this machine I will upgrade iTunes on the machine I actually sync from.

But others in this forum are usually very reliable so I trust the problem is fixed.

SteveB

What, if you don't mind me asking, was the folder problem?

SteveB

Thanks, I'm glad I don't have an iPod yet and didn't have a chance to encounter this.