Itunes takes forever to sync

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

a7dk

Since I have updated iTunes to version 7.? it takes upwards of 30 minutes to sync, whether I'm actually adding any new files or not. It isn't using a ton of CPU, and it doesn't appear to be doing anything other than "updating ipod". But for 30 minutes to an hour? It is extremely annoying! I'm considering uninstalling and downloading one of the older versions of iTunes. I'm also considering other programs such as Media Monkey, J.River, etc.., but I prefer iTunes in general, assuming it can actually work properly. Plus I need video support, which some of these programs do not provide.

Does anyone have any insight into this problem and how to fix it?

Thanks, everyone!

a7dk

The last 2 times I synced it took over 1 hour! There was no new data to go from iTunes to ipod, I was just syncing for playcount updates. This is incredibly frustrating!

Can anyone help me?

Essin

If you enable your iPod for disk use, how fast are regular file transfers? I'm thinking your USB2 connection is wonky, not just iTunes/iPod.

a7dk

regular file transfers seem to be fine, although the only thing I carry around are word documents that are quite small.

a7dk

Hi everyone...I'm bumping this because although the problem seemed to repair itself for awhile, within the last week it has been taking 3 hours to sync! This is without even adding any new files! 3 Hours!?!

Anyone have any insight? I uninstalled/reinstalled already.

oobujoobu

I might be talking rubbish here, but.... Is your iPod almost full? I notice that mine takes a lot longer to sync when it's nearly full (i.e. about 1/2 a gig free on my 30GB). I usually try to keep about 3GB free if possible and it usually syncs a lot quicker then.

a7dk

Thanks for your replies. Oobu, no it's not even close to full. I have an 80gb with about 40gb still free!

I think I discovered a work-around, though. I have all my music on an external hard drive, which is connected through a wireless router to my laptop. When I used a real-life cord to connect my laptop to the router today, it synced within 10 minutes! Obviously, not the best solution for away from home...but it's the best I've got.

Anyone else have a solution?

Wrong Un

I am experiencing exactly the same problem as this although I am running iTunes on Vista.

When I plug in my ipod, it appears in itunes and then starts to sync. However it takes around 30 minutes before any files begin to be transferred to the ipod.

My music, and itunes library, is stored on a NAS (mapped).

Does anyone know possible causes for this?

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
iTunes seems to have problem with Network Attached Storages. NAS=externals that u hookup directly on the LAN. (LAN=Local Area Network). I dunn know what, if any, solutions are. Look on your manuals, try increase buffer/cache size and/or configure for Small-Data-Lotsa-Reads rather than Large-Data-Read-at-Once, if such options are available.

cougarric

i'm getting the same problem, I keep my music files on an external drive on my network also. Not only does it autosync incredibly slowly, itunes has now started running very slowly indeed - allowing one input per approx. every 15 seconds before freezing temporarily.
I have an option to run it direct to my hard drive but that would mean installing itunes on my pc upstairs and having to update it from there - which is what I want to avoid if there's another option.
Anyone got any solutions for the temporary freezing? Is it worth just reinstalling itunes on my laptop - and if so is there anything I need to know before I do this?
Thanks in advance.