iTunes store Terms have changed.... Interesting fine print

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
So I just went to download the free pilot episode of Terminator : Sarah Connor chronicles and noticed that the iTunes Store Terms of Service has changed.

I spent a little time purusing the terms, especially those of the rentals.

It would seem as far as "syncing" rentals go, it isn't a sync, but a MOVE as you can only view on one device at a time.

It turns out if you download directly to the Apple TV, the rental can not be moved from it, according to the terms: So anyone who plans on using the new apple TV to purchase content directly, don't think you'll be able to move it to iTunes to then get on your iPod it seems. Anything you want to do that with must be purchased on your computer. Very interesting. Also interesting is the HD content, doesn't sound like it can be moved as it says it's only available on the Apple TV if I am reading it correctly.

Just found it interesting. Rental terms below.

Apple's iTunes Store terms said:
(xiv) Movie Rentals:

(aa) Movies are viewable only on your Mac or Windows computer (using iTunes 7.6 or later), iPhone, video-enabled iPod (iPod touch, iPod nano (3rd generation), or iPod classic), or on TVs using your Apple TV. Movies in high definition resolution (HD) are viewable only on TVs using your Apple TV and must be downloaded directly to your Apple TV. Movies are viewable only on one device at a time.

(bb) You must be connected to the Service when moving or streaming movies. Once a movie is moved, it is no longer viewable on the sending device. You may only move movies to another device from your Mac or Windows computer. Movies downloaded directly to your Apple TV may not be moved.

(cc) You have thirty (30) days after downloading a movie to begin viewing. Once you begin viewing, you have twenty-four (24) hours to view the movie (the “Viewing Period”). You may view the movie an unlimited number of times during the Viewing Period. Movies are not viewable after the thirty (30) day period. Stopping, pausing or restarting a movie does not extend the available time for viewing.

(dd) If you move a movie to an iPod or iPhone and then use the Service to restore the iPod or iPhone before you finish watching it, the movie will be deleted and will not be recoverable. This also applies to choosing Settings > Reset > Erase all content and settings on iPod touch and iPhone.

Daveoc64

I did wonder how they'd solve the problem of rentals being on more than one device.

Otherwise you could rent it, copy it to your iPod, watch it on there and the computer and your other iPods wouldn't "know" that you'd started the 24 hour rental period.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Daveoc64 said:
I did wonder how they'd solve the problem of rentals being on more than one device.

Otherwise you could rent it, copy it to your iPod, watch it on there and the computer and your other iPods wouldn't "know" that you'd started the 24 hour rental period.
Given clock synchronization, simple firmware updates to the drm, would likely allow the iPod to know when an item was synced and when the time had started. and when to kill it. It will prove interesting if you can trick the iPod by changing date time? ...