iTunes song-sampling error ?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Chrisman

Why does iTunes show the 'loading circular' when I click to hear a song sample (prior to buying) thereby it never plays the song--just keeps on 'circling' Thanks for your help

cjmnews

Staff member
Generally the spinning means the network is busy and the application is trying to download the sample. Usually seen on slower connections but can happen when there are a lot of people on Apple buying stuff. Also can occur on cable networks at peak streaming times.

If you are getting an error message, like the title says, that indicates that your computer audio device is not set up correctly or the wrong device is selected. You may need to be sure local audio can play before trying to sample songs.

Chrisman

Thanks cjmnews. I dont get an error message, just the incessantly-spinning 'load symbol' This is a drag because for a few years it worked. but I live in a touristy place and have relatively slow access so the out-ot-towners may well be usurping the bandwidth. I will keep trying.

Chrisman

cjmnews---for the record, where would I look or go to check whether, as you say, 'local audio can play...' and how to re-set up my 'audio device' As I mentioned, playing song samples on itunes has worked for years--until now Thanks for your help

cjmnews

Staff member
Assuming Windows 10, right click the speaker down by the clock and choose Playback devices. Chose a device, test. If that does not work, try another device.

Chrisman

cjmnews, Im on an iMac ---itunes v12.5.4.42 same question, where to go to 'change' playback devices ? Thanks for your help

cjmnews

Staff member
On a Mac you don’t usually have the issue with the audio devices since most Mac owners don’t add audio enhancement software to their systems. But in case you do, open System Preferences then go to Sound, then the Output section to change the audio device to internal speakers that should work fine.

I suspect network issues.

Chrisman

cjmnews---as you suggested, I find no devices listed nor any internal speakers specified in the Output section of "sound' Mine is not a 'sound' problem but seems to be related to 'loading' a sample song to have a listen. I worked fine for some years and has just manifest this problem. You mention suspecting 'Network issues' Any advice on this, if it is indeed the root of the problem? Thanks for your help. Chrisman

cjmnews

Staff member
It could be lots of things from a hijacked router, bad cable modem, virus on the network, heavy load on the network, so many things. Too many to determine from the little information given.

Do you have a technical friend to look at performance factors and possible issues?