iTunes renames tracks after edit - Doug's Track Parser Script

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Deek9000

I used Doug's Track Parser (1.3.1) to bulk edit some tracks in iTunes. For those unfamiliar with it, this script can be used to change something like Bob Dylan - Live 1966 - CD1 - 01 - She Belongs to Me (1966).mp3 by setting a renaming pattern and splitting the track name into separate field (artist, track name, year, etc). ANyway, it works fine once I set up a pattern. However, as soon as I play the track in iTunes it reverts back to its old track name (Artist, track name and year all in title and "Artist" field reverts to "Various"). Has anyone else experienced this? How do you change the tracks (in bulk) and prevent iTunes from switching them back?

Track Parser is v 1.3.1 (still the newest version afaik) and iTunes v 10.1.2. All mp3s are on an external drive. Renaming them using Get Info (in bulk and individually) makes any changes "stick", using the script changes them but they revert as soon as I double click them. Any help would be much appreciated, this is really annoying!

Thanks

S2_Mac

Running iTunes 9.2.1 under Leopard; can't reproduce your error. Out of curiosity, do you keep your music files in the designated "iTunes Media folder" or do you store them elsewhere? If you do use the iTunes Media folder, do you have Prefs->Advanced set to keep it organized? If yes to both questions, make changes to multiple files and then -- without doing anything else after running the script -- use Finder to locate one of the (theoretically ;-) just-changed files -- has iTunes moved it into an appropriate file structure, or is it still in the "Various Artists" folder?

Plus the usual questions: what version OS X? Are music files managed by iTunes, or do you build your own folder structure? Are files stored on your boot drive or on an external drive or....? Are you running iTunes from an admin or standard account?

Deek9000

Thanks for the reply. I moved my iTunes folder to an external drive and set iTunes to keep it organised. If I use the script to rename a track that file will get moved around within the folder structure. Double clicking it will revert the name changes and it bounces back to its original folder. Interestingly, this doesn't seem to happen if I change files individually, it's only batch processed files that don't "stick". As a side note, also tried another of Doug's scripts (Artist - Name Corrector, this one is much simpler) and the same applies. So using either one I can rename files one at a time, but this is only marginally quicker than copy and pasting the titles in Get Info within iTunes.

I'm running iTunes 10.1.2 on OS X 10.6.6 and my user account has admin rights. It's possible that the scripts won't run properly with the newest version of iTunes. Couldn't find any similar issues like this online though, so maybe it's my setup or corrupted files.

Anything else I could try? Luckily it's only a couple of albums that are messed up, so could always resign to doing them one track at a time.

S2_Mac

Haven't got a Snow Leopard machine to check with, and I can't make it screw up under Leopard....sigh ;-)

You might want to try the old standby of trying to force iTunes to commit changes by playing a track after it's been re-tagged. If you're comfortable with it, open the script in Script Editor; locate the section of code shown below (it's near the top of the script); add the blue lines; save.
Code:
repeat with i from 1 to num
	set theTrack to item i of sel
	set trackName to theTrack's name
	my applyPattern(trackName, cPat, theTrack, action's callback)
	if result is false and i < num then
		if button returned of (display dialog "An error occured matching " & pattern & " to '" & trackName & "'. Would you like to continue matching?" buttons {"Stop Now", "Continue Matching"} default button 1) is "Stop Now" then
			error number -128
		end if
	else if not matched and result then
		set matched to true
		set matchedTrack to trackName
	end if
	[color=blue]play theTrack
	delay 2
	stop[/color]
end repeat