iTunes Plus: You must upgrade ENTIRE library?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

deathsolitude

You can't pick and choose what you want to upgrade? :confused:

Or am I the only one having this problem?

deathsolitude

Hmm, I just found my answer on the FAQs. Guess I didn't look hard enough. lol

That's a bummer.

kornchild2002

Yeah, that is a bummer. I really only want to upgrade a couple of my songs/music videos but I can't. I think this was kinda shady on Apple's part as they never told us that we could only upgrade ALL EMI music. Eh, it is not like the iTunes Plus downloads would go through right now anyway. I have 10 songs that are still pending to download and I purchased these songs at 9:00 PM on Wednesday.

deathsolitude

kornchild2002 said:
Yeah, that is a bummer. I really only want to upgrade a couple of my songs/music videos but I can't. I think this was kinda shady on Apple's part as they never told us that we could only upgrade ALL EMI music. Eh, it is not like the iTunes Plus downloads would go through right now anyway. I have 10 songs that are still pending to download and I purchased these songs at 9:00 PM on Wednesday.
For me, I only want to upgrade a couple of full albums, but I'd have to upgrade all the singles I purchased to do so. :rolleyes:

Business-wise, I can see why Apple would do this. They could present the results to the other labels and say, "See, look. A significant amount of iTunes customers have upgraded not just bits of their libraries, but their entire libraries."

Shady indeed.

Razor70

Well I don't think it was totally shady on their part, they never said you could upgrade just certain songs but they also were not open about it having to be ALL songs either. It might be that it just makes things easier to get this program off the ground by doing it this way also. Or it could be they just figured most everyone would want to go ahead and upgrade ALL Emi songs to the drm free. I don't really think calling them shady is the right word for this though. Just my opinion.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
:Apple Fanboy remark.

I bet those evil labels made them do it to get the DRM tracks and allow users to upgrade their previously purchased iTunes tracks. those labels are so evil!!!!

/Apple fanboy.

The above is joking, but who knows why. I'm with you guys though. If I purchased a bunch of singles, I don't care that they are low quality persay, but any full albums I have I would love to upgrade without having to upgrade my singles. Of course I've purchased so little EMI stuff I can upgrade my couple of small albums (EPs anyway) and the singles I've purchased for a measly 6 bucks, I can't really decide.

I like the no DRM, but I almost wish that there was a middle of the road quality option. 256 is a little overkill for my personal listening situation. 192 would have been better for me personally. I only recently uped my personal quality to 160 to get a little better fidelity on piano sounds at higher volumes. Nice road between size and quality, though I have absolutely no qualms with 128 personally for how I listen currently. Not to say I won't take advantage of it where applicable in the future, but I may need to get another back up hard drive to keep originals on and downsample for my main library... We'll see. So far only one iTunes Plus track in my library.

Yeah, I wish I could upgrade ala cart....

Razor70

I ended up having alot more songs from EMI than I originally thought I had. I had 33 songs I had downloaded from them. Ended up costing me like just under $10 to upgrade all my songs to the new versions so I went ahead and did it. I also never realized how many great bands are on EMI too. I think this will be a nice addition to things, but I just hope that maybe the other record labels once they see how this goes over will also jump on the bandwagon and bring their music to drm free too. Wishful thinking I know, but a person can dream, right?

ipodave

I was actually able to upgrade only 1 song out of the 12 it identified out of my collection as having DRM-free available. I just clicked on the plus sign next to the $0.30 cost of upgrading the track and it did it right away.

Howard Brazee

I've been checking every day - today the upgrade button tells me that it can upgrade 1 song. But it doesn't tell me which song became available.

I haven't found where to try to upgrade one song at a time.