itunes playlists--songs are duplicating...?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

langdonauger

Hi,
Upon looking through my ipod library I was horrified to see exact duplicates of some songs. I didn't think this was related to an added playlist, because I had searched the archives and found that each song has it's own specific data number, and that if you try to drag and drop an "already ipodded" song from your itunes library onto the ipod, it will not copy. Sure enough, I've tried this, and it is true.

I'd just created a 300-song playlist in itunes, with half new songs/half already on ipod as well as in itunes library. I had just cleaned up the duplicate songs on the ipod by hand, and I was nervous about creating more dupes, so I tried dragging and dropping individual songs from the new list which were already on the pod. No duping. So, with confidence, I picked up the whole new playlist and dropped it onto the ipod, whereupon all of the old songs duped, for a reason I don't understand. Now the ipod is all bloated with 150 duplicated songs. I do everything manually. Is there something I should be doing differently? And is there a way to easily clean up duplicated songs?

Thanks very much for any help!