iTunes not recognising new cds after iPod installation

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Uffy

As a first time iPod user, I am beginning to get very disillusioned by it only after one week! I have the brand new 20GB iPod Photo (which Apple kindly upgraded me to - nice one!!). However, as I was planning on buying an iPod at some stage I installed iTunes onto our new Windows XP computer over a month ago and started to import my music then. I had imported 1985 songs plus all the album artwork. However, as our pc is partitioned into different login users, everything needs to be installed on the administrator's side (i.e. my Dads). But before I hooked up my iPod, all users had seperate iTunes libraries. After installing the iPod software (through my Dad's administrative side), I tranferred my library onto the iPod. No probs there - working perfectly. But, when I went back into it a week later to import some new albums, my iTunes library would *not* even recognise the new audio cd. It would not pop up in the menu at the side (as normal). However, it will on my Dad's section of the computer. But I can't transfer the new albums from his iTunes library, as the iPod only recognises mine. I've checked all the settings on the computer i.e. 'play music using iTunes' etc. No good. As Windows Media Player recognises the new cds through everyone's section of the computer, I was wondering can I import the music to Windows Media Player and then simply transfer those albums over to my iTunes library???? Is that possible. Would make life so much easier than having to start from scratch and import all my albums again through my Dad's section of the computer.

Has this happened to anyone else before?? Can anyone help me??

Last edited:

defaoite

This is most likely due to your account rights. Best thing to do is log in to your fathers account and change your account details to allow you to be admin. You might alos be able to use the one folder for the music ,by either copying all the music into the shared music folder ,(i think that it might be called allusers) and setting the path within itunes to this folder as you main folder for music, or just changed the shareing properties on you fathers music folder.
And you can transfer music by just copying and pasting the folder.
Let us know how you get on.

defaoite

This is most likely due to your account rights. Best thing to do is log in to your fathers account and change your account details to allow you to be admin. You might alos be able to use the one folder for the music ,by either copying all the music into the shared music folder ,(i think that it might be called allusers) and setting the path within itunes to this folder as you main folder for music, or just changed the shareing properties on you fathers music folder.
And you can transfer music by just copying and pasting the folder.
Let us know how you get on.

Uffy

I might indeed try that - thanks. However, through utter frustration and perseverance, I tried something else which worked. I'm just gonna work off my Dad's iTunes (he doesn't actually use it) and just drag and drop the music over to my Pod. That actually works. So even though my old library won't be updated with these songs, my Pod will. Even the artwork goes over and all. I'm not all that pushed about my iTunes folder not getting updated. Once I can tranfer the songs over, I'm smiling! Oh, and a buddy of mine found a way to transfer your music over from WMP to iTunes, so I'm gonna get that info for him for future reference. Never be too sure..! that way I can keep my itunes folder updated and can transfer the songs automatically when I plug in my Pod.

But sound advice from one member saying to always keep the 'update songs manually' always on (and then change once it is connected) because otherwise, I probably would've wiped out all my iPod music for the few albums I had put onto my Dad's iTunes... So good one there member! Much appreciated!

Thanks much for your reply as well. I might try that copy and pasting malarky later on. Just relieved it worked out in the end!

Uffy

Defaoite,

I tried to do something along the lines of what you told me. And I'm happy to say, it worked. Have all my songs on my Dad's iTunes now and can update my Pod automatically.

Thanks for the advice! Nice wan!