iTunes Match Files (downloaded)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

DJSimonmurray

Hi,

I have had iTunes Match for several years now and a number of my files show up as "matched" in the cloud status within iTunes (now Apple Music).

Over the course of time i have had to re-download these files from the cloud as per their matched status etc, no issues there.

My question is that i believe if you have downloaded "matched files" these are free from 'protection', (as you owned the original file that was imported) and as such you can take them with you to a different platform wherever you go etc, (Providing it can play ACC audio etc)?

This is obviously different from "Purchased files" that show up as "purchased" in cloud status or have "purchased" listed in kind under the file info section which are protected and thus will only play in iTunes/Apple music and you cannot take them anywhere with you unless associated with the platform.

I'm just checking my assessment above is correct and appreciate any views.

Thank you all for your help

Simon.

cjmnews

Staff member
Yes, matched files are DRM Free, they are also upgraded to 256kbps AAC. Yes they could be played on other devices that support AAC.

iTunes Match by default does not overwrite your existing files. This means files that are in your library from before iTunes Match are not upgraded or DRM free. You should have a backup of all the pre-iTunes Match files before enabling iTunes Match.

Now if you delete the original files, iTunes Match should replace them (even the Purchased) with upgraded DRM Free version.

You can make a Smart Playlist to find all the matched Purchased Tracks:
File->New Smart Playlist

Rules:
Bit Rate is less than 256
Media Kind is Music
Click the ... button after the + button on the Media Kind line
All of the following rules
-- iCloud Status is Matched
-- iCloud Status is Purchased
Live Updating is checked

Click OK and call this Purchased Matched Music.

I don't have iTunes Match, but logically this should make a playlist of all your Purchased Matched songs.
Please validate that these files are the Purchased ones, and are matched using a different device like iPhone to see they are available before continuing.

Now if you select 1 or more tracks in the Purchased Matched Music playlist and hold Shift (PC) or Option (Mac) and press the Delete key a prompt to make sure you want them to be deleted will appear. DO NOT check Also delete these songs from iCloud as this will delete them from iTunes Match too. Click on Delete Songs and the tracks will be removed from your library. In a few minutes iTunes Match will download the matched songs to your local library. This removes the DRM and upgrades the quality.

On another website, they use a slightly different rule set on the smart playlist and I think it is wrong. They use Any where I have All. This I think will cause purchased songs that are not matched to be removed from the library and only restoring a backup of them will get them back.

If you want to update your personal tracks that were matched, then you can use a similar smart playlist.

File->New Smart Playlist

Rules:
Media Kind is Music
iCloud Status is Matched

Live Updating is checked

Click OK and call this Low Quality Matched Music.

Then validate and delete the same as above.

Once this is done, then all the matched songs in your library should be upgraded and DRM Free. Make a backup to ensure you keep these files. They will be usable on other devices (even if they were Purchased) that support AAC.

DJSimonmurray

Yes, matched files are DRM Free, they are also upgraded to 256kbps AAC. Yes they could be played on other devices that support AAC.

iTunes Match by default does not overwrite your existing files. This means files that are in your library from before iTunes Match are not upgraded or DRM free. You should have a backup of all the pre-iTunes Match files before enabling iTunes Match.

Now if you delete the original files, iTunes Match should replace them (even the Purchased) with upgraded DRM Free version.

You can make a Smart Playlist to find all the matched Purchased Tracks:
File->New Smart Playlist

Rules:
Media Kind is Music
Click the ... button after the + button on the Media Kind line
All of the following rules
-- iCloud Status is Matched
-- iCloud Status is Purchased
Live Updating is checked

Click OK and call this Purchased Matched Music.

I don't have iTunes Match, but logically this should make a playlist of all your Purchased Matched songs.
Please validate that these files are the Purchased ones, and are matched using a different device like iPhone to see they are available before continuing.

Now if you select 1 or more tracks in the Purchased Matched Music playlist and hold Shift (PC) or Option (Mac) and press the Delete key a prompt to make sure you want them to be deleted will appear. DO NOT check Also delete these songs from iCloud as this will delete them from iTunes Match too. Click on Delete Songs and the tracks will be removed from your library. In a few minutes iTunes Match will download the matched songs to your local library. This removes the DRM and upgrades the quality.

On another website, they use a slightly different rule set on the smart playlist and I think it is wrong. They use Any where I have All. This I think will cause purchased songs that are not matched to be removed from the library and only restoring a backup of them will get them back.

If you want to update your personal tracks that were matched, then you can use a similar smart playlist.

File->New Smart Playlist

Rules:
Media Kind is Music
iCloud Status is Matched

Live Updating is checked

Click OK and call this Low Quality Matched Music.

Then validate and delete the same as above.

Once this is done, then all the matched songs in your library should be upgraded and DRM Free. Make a backup to ensure you keep these files. They will be usable on other devices (even if they were Purchased) that support AAC.
Thank you so much for such a comprehensive reply, really, really useful indeed.

Quick query, when using smart playlists if i looking to find tracks that are DRM and therefore cannot be moved, i set the rules as "kind" contains "purchased". Other than the obvious cloud status is purchased, are there any other rules you would set within a smart playlist to find songs that are DRM enabled?

Thanks again for all your help, it really has been useful.

Best

Simon.

cjmnews

Staff member
Well the steps above should make the DRM ones no longer have DRM.

To answer your question the DRM tracks usually are the ones have that have Kind set to "Protected AAC audio file"
So you could have a rule
Kind is "Protected AAC audio file"

DJSimonmurray

Well the steps above should make the DRM ones no longer have DRM.

To answer your question the DRM tracks usually are the ones have that have Kind set to "Protected AAC audio file"
So you could have a rule
Kind is "Protected AAC audio file"
Thank you, you have been a big help and i really appreciate it.

God Bless

Simon.