iTunes library no longer fits on my iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Submeg

Hello all,

My library is currently 28,400 songs. This is greater than the capacity of my ipod. I have unchecked many songs (duplicates, 1/5 and 2/5 stars, etc) which lowers my library to 14,551 songs; which totals 76.51 GB.

This fits on to my 120 GB iPod classic. I have many smart playlists, and all of them would sync onto my iPod.

The other day, I was importing a cd, and after importing and then trying to sync, iTunes locked up and I had to perform a force quit and upon restarting iTunes, I tried to sync my iPod, and iTunes told me that the library was too large to fit on my iPod.

I haven't changed any of the checked songs, so I'm wondering why this is the case? Is it possible that it had corrupted some of my harrdive on the iPod? Any ideas how to fix this? Would be much appreciated!

P.S. I have turned off the auto updating on all the smart playlists currently, as I am rating songs, which slows iTunes down as you rate.

Last edited:

Submeg

Yes, I do sync the smart playlists, but I also uncheck unwanted songs to be sure.

When I go to my library (the very top on the left hand scrollbar) and select all the songs that are checked, it totals 76.51 GB; this includes the new CD i ripped. I will check to see if it was ripped in *.m4a format, however I doubt that has changed and I still have 44 GB free (well I should have) on my iPod.

Is there anyway that either a) my iPod's HDD is somehow half full before syncing? I.e. it is corrupted or something?
b) can I format the ipod? I have done a "restore to factory settings" and it's not done anything?

cjmnews

Staff member
You can always restore the iPod (Connect to iTunes, click on iPod, click on Restore) and that will empty the iPod drive.

Then you can fill it back up.

I didn't see the iTunes failure during sync above. The Restore will do the trick.

Submeg

You can always restore the iPod (Connect to iTunes, click on iPod, click on Restore) and that will empty the iPod drive.

Then you can fill it back up.

I didn't see the iTunes failure during sync above. The Restore will do the trick.
I tried to do the restore, it will sync, but will tell me that the library won't fit.

I just remembered, I had an error when I tried to sync my iPod after the force quit. When I tried to sync my iPod, iTunes threw up the error - Cannot sync this iPod (error: 14xxx) I will have to check what the code was exactly.

From there, I did a restore, and this is what has been happening since. Thanks for the memory jog, when I get home I will check the error code that I wrote down.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
If you're using the "Sync only checked items" option to sync only certain items, make sure that option is still selected when you connect your iPod. Its possible that iTunes de-selected that option for you during its little hiccup.

Submeg

Ahh, is it possible that after I did a restore, that it switched this option back to default?

The thing is, as I am syncing "only selected playlists" I have had to go through and select each playlist. Is it possible that songs that I have unchecked are somehow being synced across? I don't understand how it could get itself confused! Crazy iTunes

Submeg

Ok, so I went and plugged my ipod in and on the summary screen, I saw that "sync only check songs" was not checked! So that is a mystery solved.

However, now onto the next mystery! I have one playlist which contains 10,583 songs. Currently, there are 872 songs that have 4/5 or 5/5 stars. These then are entered into another playlist which was synced previously. There are 12 other songs which are checked in this playlist. If I did not select this playlist, I would have a total of 20,946 songs on my iPod. If I choose to sync this playlist, this number jumps to 28,242! (A total of 7296 songs)

Now, as I have "sync only checked songs" it should only increase the number of songs by 12, as I have already synced the other 872 songs previously. How can it increase by 7296, when a) I haven't checked all the songs and b) when the total of 872 + 7296 doesn't equal 10583?

This is the playlist which is causing all the issues of it maxing out my iPod, but I want to be able to sync this playlist to keep a selection of tracks in this playlist while discarding the lower rated and unchecked songs.