iTunes keeps pausing

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

chewey

Hi,

Over the last couple of months my iTunes every so often would pause at some random point in a song for a second or so & continue ok, however the wait has become longer, it could be 20 - 40 secs now & not just one son here & there but nearly every track I play.
My iTunes library is on a external Hard drive which has its own power source

Any ideas would be appreciated as this is starting to annoy me

cheers

cjmnews

Staff member
Checking the drive for errors would be one thing. Defragmenting the internal and external would be another.

If the PC is a laptop with an IR port, maybe covering the port so the TV remote does not do weird things to the laptop could be another thing to try (yes I have laptops that do this).

Verify the internal hard drive is not full. There are some folders that can be emptied with quite a bit of crud in them:
C:\Temp
C:\Windows\Temp
C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Local\Temp

Deleting your Virtual memory file, defragmenting, then recreating it is another (a fragmented virtual memory file can cause lots of weird issues)

Reduce browsing while playing music especially to sites with large graphics/videos.

chewey

Hi CJM

Thanks for the ideas which I tried but they haven't worked, have you got any more ideas?

cjmnews

Staff member
Running task manager to see if there is a process (like a virus, Tor, Windows Search) that is consuming your CPU and/or disk access capabilities.

Really checking the hard drives for errors (Event log, SpinRite) would also help. Checkdsk has been neutered so it only tells you there is a problem if things get really bad.

chewey

still no luck, any other ideas?

Would it be good idea if I spread the iTunes library over 2 to 3 hard drives? (2 r internal)

Cold Irons

Can't imagine that spreading the library over multiple drives would help. If you are playing a song & doing nothing else with iTunes, it wouldn't matter where the other songs are located.

You could try a complete uninstall & re-install of iTunes.

But I agree with cjmnews; it sounds like something outside of iTunes is taking time away from iTunes, or maybe a disk error is occurring.

chewey

if I uninstall iTunes & install it should be quite easy for iTunes to find my library which is on a external hard drive

I haven't done this in a very long time

cjmnews

Staff member
In general, yes. It will find your library where you left it. The key file is iTunes Library.itl

I always make a full backup before I uninstall/reinstall, just because I am paranoid. I have never needed it.

You will want to uninstall:
iTunes
Apple Mobile Device Service
Quicktime
Bonjour
Apple Application Support
Apple Update Service
iCloud

Then reinstall iTunes
You may need to install Quicktime separately.

chewey

Hi Guys

After some investigating my problem is that my external HD is dying, I have managed to transfer my library to another HD, however 8GB is missing, does anyone know how to find whats missing????

cjmnews

Staff member
Not that this is a Computer support site, but you can try SpinRite to see if it can recover your hard drive. I have recovered a few with it.

You can see what is missing in iTunes with Playlists:
Create a normal playlist, click on File->New->Playlist, name it GOOD
Select all the Music in your Music section (CTRL-A), drag the selection and drop on the GOOD Playlist.
Click on File->New->Smart Playlist. Set the criteria to Playlist is NOT GOOD. And click OK. Name this playlist BAD.

BAD will be the list of all songs that iTunes can't find.

DencyRain

Learn lots of things in your conversations

Not that this is a Computer support site, but you can try SpinRite to see if it can recover your hard drive. I have recovered a few with it.

You can see what is missing in iTunes with Playlists:
Create a normal playlist, click on File->New->Playlist, name it GOOD
Select all the Music in your Music section (CTRL-A), drag the selection and drop on the GOOD Playlist.
Click on File->New->Smart Playlist. Set the criteria to Playlist is NOT GOOD. And click OK. Name this playlist BAD.

BAD will be the list of all songs that iTunes can't find.
Learn lots of things in your conversations. Thanks:thumbsup: