Itunes keeps changing my artist info

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Marc28ct

Please help!

I keep re-organizing my library and iTunes at random, automatically changes my artists...

Example. I may have purchased a song that was a duet. But I change the info (in iTunes) to only reflect one artist, and when I click on GET INFO, it's correct, but then iTunes will change it back.

I turned off Windows Media Player for I read that could be it. And that didn't make a difference.

PLEASE HELP!

cjmnews

Staff member
Typically this happens with MP3 files. iTunes does not write the Get Info update to the file, and when you play it, the tag reverts back to what was in the MP3 file.

The fix is to make the change, select the file(s), right click one and choose Convert ID3, use v2.3, and iTunes will write the tags to the files.

Marc28ct

Thanks for responding. I am not that computer savvy so can you break that down as to what I should do to fix it?

When I right click a song, I don't see any option to convert anything.

Marc28ct

the only option I see regarding converting when I right click a song, is Convert to AAC.

Marc28ct

On a side note, the box under preferences that says that I want iTunes to keep my library organized is checked. Should I keep it that way?

cjmnews

Staff member
Yes you want to keep your iTunes library organized

You can get the Convert ID3 Tags menu item on all MP3 files, and if you are not seeing that item, then you have no MP3 files selected.

The problem could be easy like you are not changing the Artist information in the Info tab, you are changing it in the Sort tab of the Get Info window.

The problem could be more complicated like:
your iTunes folder is Read Only (if you can create a file/folder there this is not the problem)
your iTunes Library.itl file is read only (if you don't get a message about the iTunes Library being locked this is not it)
you are not logged in as administrator role (Most people are administrator, if you can edit/adjust wireless network options, this is not the problem)
a different login has ownership of your iTunes Library (Using hard drive from old computer could cause this)
you have 2 computers accessing the same iTunes Library file at the same time on a NAS (No NAS, No problem)
you are using fast user switching and have iTunes open in the other login (Stop doing this, shut down itunes before switching users)

Marc28ct

No, I've changed the artist name in the Info AND Sort boxes. And some songs still get changed. Mostly soundtracks.

What's weird is some songs will appear changed but when I click on INFO, the information is as I typed it, and after clicking okay, it puts it back where I changed it.

cjmnews

Staff member
Sounds like you don't have write access to your library or the song files.

Check my list of complicated problems and solutions above and see which problem it is.