iTunes help: issue re: default location of "mobile applications" folder.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

GadgetGuru72

I keep my iTunes media on an external drive, under the path F:/My iTunes.

The media on the external hard drive was organized using the old iTunes file system, meaning that while music, movies and tv shows were under the F:/My iTunes path, the "mobile applications" folder was in the default location in "My Music" on the "C" drive.

I followed the steps in the article "Transferring your iTunes library," found here:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

I followed the steps to (1) "Upgrade to iTunes Media Organization" and (2) "Consolidate."

At the end of that process, everything is now properly under the F:/My iTunes path, including the subfolder for "mobile applications."

Here's where my issue and question come into play.

Even though everything is now under the F:/My iTunes path and the "organize my media library" box is checked, whenever I upgrade an app or purchase a new app, it puts the updated or new app file back in the "C" drive under the default path.

This is driving me crazy, as it's requiring me to constantly consolidate to get everything back under "F."

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ralliart122010

...whenever I upgrade an app or purchase a new app, it puts the updated or new app file back in the "C" drive under the default path.

This is driving me crazy, as it's requiring me to constantly consolidate to get everything back under "F."

Any idea what's going on here?...
The bad news

No worries; you are not the only one facing this very specific problem. Like many others, I've also tried to "push"/consolidate everything off to an external hard disk. But I discover (& also read from the official Apple support forums) that the "Mobile Applications" directory is designed to reside on the same drive that the iTunes library database files are stored.

For example: my iTunes library database files, i.e. those itl, xml, etc are still on my C\ drive, so even if I push them ipa files manually to my external drive; updating will bring them back to C:\

The good news

Recently I updated to iTunes 10 & this restriction seems to have been fixed/lifted. I tested by verifying all my current ipa files are in the "Mobile Applications" directory on my external drive & then updating my apps via iTunes. And they (the updated ipa) didn't get saved in the C:\ drive.

So, you may wanna update your iTunes and try again. At least now my ipa files will dominate the ever-diminishing space on my local drive.

Note: I want to point out this issue may have been fixed by iTunes 9.2 but I didn't try it during that version.