iTunes Going the Subscription Route?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Code Monkey

Where on Earth did anyone get the idea that offering subs prevents you from buying?

Name *one* subscription only service out there that doesn't also have the option of "ownership".

These sorts of comments have been all through the front page story about this *rumour* and, surpisingly, have much less basis than any rumour.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Hmm... I thought napster always had a buy option on top of their subscription...

I think many are taking the rumor wrong. They assume that they will completely abandon regular purchases in face of a subscription profile, that's just crazy and the chances of that happening, especially in face of the EMI deal is just crazy.

I'd take heart that actual purchase will always be possible on iTunes subscription or not.

But as many of said I hope they'd come up with a videos/shows subscription. That would do me more good than music!

Code Monkey

RatherPlayHalo said:
Napster. At least, not when I was a member two years ago.
I was a member two years ago, too, and you certainly could buy.

You name it, Rhapsody, Yahoo, Zune; they all let you buy if you want.

That's their business model: "Hey! Fill your hard drive! Fill your DAP! Only $10/month!!!!... Oh, did you want to burn a CD? That'll be $7.99 extra."

Last edited:
I had a subscription to Rhapsody and purchased songs for 79cents each & burned them to a CD as part of the service. If iTunes gets a subscription service I would sign up for it. The only thing I would like, that I can think of right now, is for them to allow you to listen to the whole songs instead of just 30 seconds. I doubt they will do this though.

When I had a Rhapsody subscription I could listen to the whole track and make playlists & save them as long as the songs were available. A subscription for videos/TV shows is a good idea especially with a discount.

Razor70

I really do hope they do go through with this. It's one of the biggest things that I think the Ipod is missing, and I for one would use the service for sure. I would rather pay $15 a month to download unlimited items, than to pay $15 for one Itune card and get 15 songs. Sure there will be songs that I will still purchase, but the subscription road will work the best for me I think.

mizzle

at first i thought this was a bad idea but if it saves us money then i'm all for it
it would be awesome to have an emusic like deal where fifteen dollars gets you fifty downloads...they would make a ton

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
porieux said:
Why do people assume subscription means renting? Ever heard of eMusic?
Because emusic is currently the gem amongts "subscription" services. Emusic is a rarity, not an example, of most subscription services. The chances of iTunes taking on a similar model is slim to known.

Razor70

studogvetmed said:
Because emusic is currently the gem amongts "subscription" services. Emusic is a rarity, not an example, of most subscription services. The chances of iTunes taking on a similar model is slim to known.
I agree with you wholey on this. It would be great if Apple went this route but to be honest I don't ever see them even doing a subscription type of service. It's a nice idea and I would really enjoy it (and alot of others too I think), but I think Apple looks at what can happen if people put their minds to it and that a subscription service isn't really a great thing for their bottom line. Guess we will have to just wait and see what they decide though.

As for emusic, it's a great service..and a even better way to learn new and interesting artists. But, I think alot of people find the service to be not to their liking because it's all independent labels and artists. Sure you can come across the few main artists before they were signed to big name labels, but they are few and far between. I myself like the freedom that emusic gives and have found alot of really great bands and musicians while being a subscriber there.

Micael

Personally im hoping for this option since it allows of easy acess to new music styles that you have not listened to before. New doors beeing opened. Tough it will probably take a while before it reaches Sweden.