iTunes getting stuck during sync - waiting for changes to be applied

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

baobab68

I have spent a couple of days on and off trying to solve this problem and it's starting to get annoying.

I was having all kinds of trouble getting my Pebble and my car radio to talk to my iPhone, so in the end I decided to do a full restore.

Since then I find I can't reliably sync my music to my device. iTunes will hang on 'waiting for items to copy' or 'waiting for changes to be applied.

I've looked around on the internet but everyone who's had this problem seems to have found a different solution.

I've tried:

- restoring my phone from backup
- removing all voice memos from my phone (only 2) and removing them from iTunes
- adding items to sync one at a time, eg 'sync only selected playlists', adding one at a time
- deleting all the itunes_control/music folder on my device using iFunBox

I'm now down to some of the nasty things that I don't really want to do, eg:

- remove all album art from the device
- restore my phone to factory and set up as a new device

Can anyone point me to a proper troubleshooting methodology for this issue? I read somewhere that it's caused by a sync daemon on the device crashing when it encounters unexpected data: is there any way for me to find which is the problem file?

cjmnews

Staff member
You don't say what version of iTunes and IOS you are using.

The Restore from Backup should have resolved any daemon error on the phone.
If you watch the top bar of iTunes, you should see what it is syncing, and possibly see what may be causing this. See if it is syncing mail (Info tab items) or Music or Videos, etc.

You don't say if you are syncing with Outlook or not. There are steps for that: Troubleshooting Sync Services on Windows with Microsoft Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007, or Outlook 2010
There are other things that can help as well: iTunes: May become unresponsive when connecting iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If none of that works, you can try to uninstall the driver for the iPhone in Windows in Device Manager, then rescan for new devices and let it get installed again. I have had luck with this when hanging on a sync with an iPod Nano.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
I've had this problem, I think since iOS 6 but definitely got worse with iOS 7. The "Waiting for changes to be applied" give no indication as to what changes iTunes is waiting for (nothing shown in the progress area).

This is a very frustrating problem and I've tried just about everything to resolve it ... things like restore from backup, restore with no backup, turned Genius off, removed/re-installed multiple versions of iTunes and its components, etc. None of these provide any lasting relief, and I've given up and just accept that most times (but not all) an auto-sync of my iPhone will take 20 - 60 minutes to complete, even though the auto-sync is only replacing maybe 50 songs (I auto-sync to specific playlists). This problem existed on my PC, and now with my Mac after transferring my library and restoring my iPhone from scratch (i.e. no backup). The fact that some auto-syncs only take a minute or two seems to indicate that there is some occasional handshaking bug deep within the iOS/iTunes communication.

I think it also has something to do with the amount of music on the device, as my iPad mini does not have this problem -- I auto-sync it to specific playlists too, but only about 15 GB. In my experimentation with my iPhone the auto-sync was real snappy when I kept music to < 20 GB. My iPhone is a 64 GB and normally keep it loaded up with 40+ GB, so this may explain why some people more than others have this problem.

If you do find a lasting solution please do tell ... but restoring is not likely going to make much difference, nor is any iTunes surgery.