Itunes / external hard drive help

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Ward

Hi my sister has unplugged my external hard drive, where all my music is stored. Now my itunes cant locate my music unless i do it all individually.....i have nearly 25,000 tracks......surely there's a way round this??

Any help would be fantastic.

-Dean-

lefti

Website
www.google.com
Sounds like a PC, sounds like when you remounted the drive, it's using a different drive letter than the original. You would have to change the drive letter back to it's original.

Ward

Sounds like a PC, sounds like when you remounted the drive, it's using a different drive letter than the original. You would have to change the drive letter back to it's original.
Yes! Originally it was in E: now its J:

I'll give that a go! Thanks

Ward

Nope. Cos up with J: no matter what i do! This is annying the balls off of me :(

Ward

Can anyone help? I've tried the methods in related topics and they didnt work. Im on a PC using the latest version of itunes.

ScoobZ

You definitely need to set that drive back to E:.

Exit iTunes

Then:

Start
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Highlight Disk Management (under the Storage section)
On the right hand panel you will see all of your disks
Right-click on your external drive J:
A menu will appear
Choose Change Drive Letter and Paths
Change it to E:
Save changes

Start iTunes

Ward

You definitely need to set that drive back to E:.

Exit iTunes

Then:

Start
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Highlight Disk Management (under the Storage section)
On the right hand panel you will see all of your disks
Right-click on your external drive J:
A menu will appear
Choose Change Drive Letter and Paths
Change it to E:
Save changes

Start iTunes
Hey thanks...
Ive just tried this, and i can have every letter except C,D,E and F :shake:

ScoobZ

Hey thanks...
Ive just tried this, and i can have every letter except C,D,E and F :shake:
Do you have any other USB stuff plugged into your computer right now? If yes, (properly) disconnect them.

Ward

Do you have any other USB stuff plugged into your computer right now? If yes, (properly) disconnect them.
No mate there isn't anything else plugged in. I've tried plugging my step dads one in to see what that comes up as and it's saying :L or :K :confused:

snowdog99

Something must be connected as drive E - look in disk manager and see what it is, than change it to something else and assign E to your external.

ScoobZ

When you are in Disk Management do you see something using the E: name already? If yes, can you rename that to something else (without knocking something else out of whack)?

ScoobZ

So when you right-click on the drive listed as J: (which I assume is your external drive) and then choose Change Drive Letter, then click on the Change button, and then look at the drop-down list for drive letters you don't get the option for E:?

Ward

So when you right-click on the drive listed as J: (which I assume is your external drive) and then choose Change Drive Letter, then click on the Change button, and then look at the drop-down list for drive letters you don't get the option for E:?
No its misses out C all the way up to I then from J onwards to Z :eek:

ScoobZ

Windows 7. Looks nice, everything runs like cack on it though

Hmmm...I know that XP has a funky bug whereby you can't map something to F: else it won't acknowledge USB devices plugged in. Seems XP needs F: left free. I learned that the hard way. Maybe W7 has a similar funkiness.

Anyway, I think there is another way to recover your stuff with it called J: but right now I can't come up with it. I'll have a think on it tonight on my commute home and/or maybe someone else will jump in here with an assist.

Ward

Hmmm...I know that XP has a funky bug whereby you can't map something to F: else it won't acknowledge USB devices plugged in. Seems XP needs F: left free. I learned that the hard way. Maybe W7 has a similar funkiness.

Anyway, I think there is another way to recover your stuff with it called J: but right now I can't come up with it. I'll have a think on it tonight on my commute home and/or maybe someone else will jump in here with an assist.
haha ok mate, thanks for you help thus far!