Itunes / external hard drive help (again)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Ward

When i copy all my music ferom my external hard drive to my itunes, it also copies the files onto my PC hard drive in the itunes media folder . Is there no way round this? Can't itunes just read the music from my external hard drive? My step dad is doing his pieces about me clogging up the PCs hard drive when "this was the reason i bought an external hard drive!"

Thanks in advance!

Cold Irons

In iTunes, on the Menu, select Edit > Preferences. Under the Advance Tab, change the iTunes Media Folder location to point at the external hard drive & the directory on this drive where you want your media to be located.

Then, un-check the "Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library" selection and un-check the "Keep iTunes Media Folder organized" selection. You can then add the files to iTunes & it will just leave the files where they are.

Finally, you MUST make sure that the external drive ALWAYS uses the same drive letter (e.g., E: or F: or whatever it is). This is done using the Disk Management tool in Win XP (can't remember exactly where this is; probably under the Control Panel somewhere).