iTunes Disconnects from computer within a few seconds

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

~JPV~

This only just happened after months of it working fine. I had started up iTunes as normal and needed to update, connected my iPod Classic and within a few seconds, I would get a message that it wasn't recognized (or something). I missed the entire message and hasn't since shown up. Now, when I connect, it just disconnects within a few seconds.

Any ideas how to fix this? I did restart both my computer and the iPod itself to no avail.

Not sure what generation mine is, but it's the 160gb version.

Edit: I did get this when I just tried connecting: ipod cannot be synced, unknown error (-124)

Edit #2: So, I uninstalled and re-installed iTunes. Now when I connect my iPod, iTunes just sits there and says "Verifying" iPod and seems like then iTunes freezes and I would have to kill it via the Task Manager.

Edit #3: Same status. I did some research for diagnostics on the iPod and here are the results (no idea if these help or not):

Retracts: 33
Reallocs: 0
Pending Sectors: 0
PowerOn Hours: 563
Start/Stops: 98979
Temp: Current 25c
Temp: Min 14c
Temp: Max 54c

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
That quick flash message was probably the Windows Scan and Fix message.

If you have a second computer without iTunes, plug it in there and when Windows shows the Scan and Fix window, click the fix button and automatically fix issues. This will resolve the error with windows and allow iTunes to access it again. Safely Eject the iPod from that computer and connect it to your iTunes computer to see if that resolves the problem.

If you don't have a second computer, then you can open iTunes, click on Edit->Preferences click on the Devices Tab, then put a check mark in the Prevent iPads, iPods from syncing automatically, click OK to close the preferences window. Then plug it in there and when Windows shows the Scan and Fix window, click the fix button and automatically fix issues. This will resolve the error with windows and allow iTunes to access it again. Undo the check mark you did above, then unplug and plug in the iPod again.

Hopefully that will resolve your sync issue.

~JPV~

That quick flash message was probably the Windows Scan and Fix message.

If you have a second computer without iTunes, plug it in there and when Windows shows the Scan and Fix window, click the fix button and automatically fix issues. This will resolve the error with windows and allow iTunes to access it again. Safely Eject the iPod from that computer and connect it to your iTunes computer to see if that resolves the problem.

If you don't have a second computer, then you can open iTunes, click on Edit->Preferences click on the Devices Tab, then put a check mark in the Prevent iPads, iPods from syncing automatically, click OK to close the preferences window. Then plug it in there and when Windows shows the Scan and Fix window, click the fix button and automatically fix issues. This will resolve the error with windows and allow iTunes to access it again. Undo the check mark you did above, then unplug and plug in the iPod again.

Hopefully that will resolve your sync issue.
I'm no longer getting that message. The issue I'm facing is when connecting the iPod, iTunes recognizes it, starts verifying but after maybe 20 seconds, iTunes freezes up and won't respond. I've tried completely uninstalling all Apple components with no luck.

It's currently connected to iTunes as we speak. Should I just let it go for an hour or so before giving up? For further information, the iPod is lit up, just says "Connected - Eject before disconnecting" rather than the rotating wheel while synchronizing.

Minor Update: iTunes doesn't seem completely frozen as every once in a while, the sync wheel on the program will shift slightly, so it does seem like it's still somewhat active. Thus, I will keep my iPod plugged in the hopes it will move passed the verifying part.

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
I understand the window is not appearing anymore, but it could still be there in the background. Windows fighting with iTunes for access to the drive. I would check this possibility first. Verify Windows does not have a problem with the drive anymore.

If that doesn't help, letting it sync could help, but you may be better off and faster to restore the iPod. This will erase everything on it and sync it again with iTunes.

~JPV~

I understand the window is not appearing anymore, but it could still be there in the background. Windows fighting with iTunes for access to the drive. I would check this possibility first. Verify Windows does not have a problem with the drive anymore.

If that doesn't help, letting it sync could help, but you may be better off and faster to restore the iPod. This will erase everything on it and sync it again with iTunes.
Not in a rush, I will let it sit there for a while and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll try and restore. Just odd this wasn't a problem last week (when I last plugged it in to upload new music and podcasts).

Thanks for the help.

~JPV~

BTW, how do I verify Windows is fighting iTunes?

My fear in wiping my iPod is I won't be able to get it synced at all (plus, would it even get wiped if iTunes is having issues?)

~JPV~

Well, need your help. So I restored my iPod and everything was going fine until about 3500 songs in the 10k I have, when it stopped and something about a folder not being found. So I figured I'd restore again and put them back on album by album but now when I start iTunes, it would freeze up and I can't even access my iPod to restore. In order to even get out, I'd have to kill iTunes manually. The top part just says Syncing iPod.

Edit: Well, got it working. Just need to manually add music and podcasts, probably will do that from now on just to be on the safe side as I'm not adding back in all the music I previously had.

Last edited:

~JPV~

Ok, so I've sort of sorted out my mess with my iPod but now have a different question: I currently have my old playlists and wonder how to import them to my iPod Classic. I currently have iTunes set up to manual syncing.

cjmnews

Staff member
Manual Sync requires that you drag the playlist from the main Music section (iPod is not selected, you are in Music) and drop onto your iPod. That will put the playlist and the songs onto your iPod.

~JPV~

Perfect! Thanks for your help cjmnews! Working for now and while it takes a little more time to do this manually, this is a better solution once I get everything updated.

~JPV~

Well, having problems again. Disconnects within a few seconds after connecting. So confounding as it was working for the past couple of days.

Got the message, something along the lines of the required file cannot be found.

BTW, I was able to connect it earlier today with no problem. The only change was I did go and download a few podcasts.

Edit: Not sure if this matters, but when I connect w/o iTunes running, it's stays connected. Once I start iTunes, I get that message and it disconnects.

Last edited:

~JPV~

Quick Update: It's back to the old stuck on Verifying iPod... I really don't want to have to restore again, it was a big pain to get the music back on. Is there anything else to try?

Edit: So I ran check disk and did both system errors and bad sectors. So far, it's working, course I won't hold my breath, lol.

Last edited: