iTunes and new MP3 player

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Andy_22

I have a ipod nano (4th gen) that is 10 years old and showing signs of failing as the center button stops working now and again. Even though it's been reset it still give problems. If i just get a bogstandard MP3 player will iTunes recognise it?

cjmnews

Staff member
No. iTunes only recognizes iPod, iPhones and iPads.

You can however, use iTunes to hold your music, and put it onto an MP3 player by opening a Windows Explorer window in the MP3 player, then selecting the tracks you want from iTunes, drag them from iTunes and drop them onto Windows Explorer. That will copy the files from iTunes to the MP3 player.

There are some limitations though. No smart playlists will work, no iTunes playlists will work, the MP3 player has to support AAC to play unencrypted m4a files. No encrypted m4a, m4p or m4b files will be able to play. Remembering your position in a file will not work.

Andy_22

No. iTunes only recognizes iPod, iPhones and iPads.

You can however, use iTunes to hold your music, and put it onto an MP3 player by opening a Windows Explorer window in the MP3 player, then selecting the tracks you want from iTunes, drag them from iTunes and drop them onto Windows Explorer. That will copy the files from iTunes to the MP3 player.

There are some limitations though. No smart playlists will work, no iTunes playlists will work, the MP3 player has to support AAC to play unencrypted m4a files. No encrypted m4a, m4p or m4b files will be able to play. Remembering your position in a file will not work.
Thanks cjmnews,
Looks like I'll just have to get a new iPod of some veriaty in the long run as the alternative looks very long winded and half my music won't even play :eek:
Have found out that if I hold the bottom right corner and press the center button at the same time it actually works better.

Andrew

cjmnews

Staff member
Most purchases the last 7 years are not encrypted. It is generally the OLD iTunes music files that are encrypted. You may find that more of your songs would play on an MP3 player.