iTunes and LAME VBR

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Teqnilogik

Website
www.teqnilogik.com
I tried both converting the ID3 tags in iTunes and also setting the end time to 23:25 in iTunes and both times it stopped at 23:08. Good suggestions though guys. Because of this I just decided to stick with my 128 kbps AAC files as I really don't have any justification to switch back to MP3 at the moment other than the urge to do so, LOL. Plus the idea of reripping as many CDs as I have already is mindnumbing.

But still, I know this issue exists and the experimenter that I am wants to attempt to expose the problem. Hopefully Apple will find this problem and correct it, however, I doubt that they will put too much time into it simply because the mass of their user-base does not use LAME but we'll see.

shabbs

UberGellin' Lounger
Teqnilogik said:
Because of this I just decided to stick with my 128 kbps AAC files as I really don't have any justification to switch back to MP3 at the moment other than the urge to do so, LOL.
DOH!

We lost you again.

Sigh...

You'll be back...

;)

kornchild2002

I too have started to experience problems with iTunes only, my iPod plays them back just fine. My problems only occur with songs longer than 15 minutes, other songs playback just fine. The songs longer than 15 minutes playback fine if I play them from beginning to end. I experience timing problems when I fastforward or rewind.

Users over at hydrogenaudio have gone into discussion about this topic. There are two growing posts that have already been made and more and more users are coming out stating their problems.

I knew that this was a slight problem in iTunes but I never really thought it was that big. I guess I was wrong as so many people are now coming foreward.

Believe me, if it really is a problem then Apple will fix it.

It is a shame that we lost you to AAC. I am actually thinking about joining the dark side. A new car CD deck that plays wma, mp3, and mpeg-4 AAC (specifically iTunes AAC) files just came into my posession, it also has a direct dock link for iPod control. I don't know. I will still probably stick with mp3 but my AAC library grows every day (I get $15 iTunes gift cards about once a week, it is hard to turn those down when they are free).

Mirage2k

kornchild2002 said:
I too have started to experience problems with iTunes only, my iPod plays them back just fine. My problems only occur with songs longer than 15 minutes, other songs playback just fine. The songs longer than 15 minutes playback fine if I play them from beginning to end. I experience timing problems when I fastforward or rewind.
This is "normal" behavior, AFAIK. iTunes has always had problems with VBR MP3 files when you fast forward or rewind them--even if you encode them with iTunes itself. The truncation or extra silence when you play the files straight through is not normal behavior, but, like you, I don't have problems with that.

shabbs

UberGellin' Lounger
kornchild2002 said:
(I get $15 iTunes gift cards about once a week, it is hard to turn those down when they are free).
Very true - free is good. ;) All of my AAC files have been free downloads from iTMS.

Teqnilogik

Website
www.teqnilogik.com
kornchild2002 said:
It is a shame that we lost you to AAC. I am actually thinking about joining the dark side. A new car CD deck that plays wma, mp3, and mpeg-4 AAC (specifically iTunes AAC) files just came into my posession, it also has a direct dock link for iPod control. I don't know. I will still probably stick with mp3 but my AAC library grows every day (I get $15 iTunes gift cards about once a week, it is hard to turn those down when they are free).
You didn't lose me, I just decided to keep my AAC collection because all of my CDs are already ripped with AAC. I don't want to rerip them to MP3 for a very little gain in quality (to my ears). Now, if I were just starting to rip my collection today I would have probably chosen LAME MP3 at -V 5 since it's now on par with iTunes AAC at 128 kbps. Two years ago when I ripped my AAC collection with iTunes, LAME wasn't as good as 128 kbps because back then (to my knowledge) the -V 5 switch didn't exist or at least it wasn't as tuned as it is now so I was stuck with using ABR 128 kbps MP3s with LAME that didn't sound as good as iTunes AAC at 128 kbps. But I'm happy with the quality of AAC and its nice integration with iTunes and the iPod so I'll be sticking with it in the forseeable future and to try fight off any temptation to switch formats, LOL. Plus Sony has begun officially supporting AAC in its SonicStage software and portables so I can only see AAC's popularlity getting better and its future seems better than ever.

Last edited:

kornchild2002

rockwellsr said:
That is an interesting article. Lately though, I haven't had any problems with iTunes nor my iPod. Both are reporting accurate file lengths and aren't cutting off the mp3's or dragging them out. I do agree that Apple should implement a fix as I think there is a much larger iPod population that uses the Lame mp3 encoder than Apple will admit. Granted, the majority of iPod users probably utilize the iTunes AAC encoder as they just like to install iTunes, pop in their CD's, and move on with life.

I may have to use this fix though. My notebook plays the mp3 files just fine while my desktop (which uses the same version of iTunes) cuts off my Lame mp3 mp3's about 10-20 seconds too early (just if they are 20 minutes in length or longer).

Scott549

I tried the vbrfix program. I did not have any luck with it because I could not figure out how to use it. There was no tutorial or any other information as to how to "fix" the vbr files.