• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

iTunes 8

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

joker0153

How would you picture the iTunes 8?

for me...

1.) Support for iPod Touch HD
2.) Wi-fi wireless sync with the iPod Classic HD w/ wifi and Touch HD
3.) Cover flow like iPhone/Touch
4.) Cooler interface like the ones on iPhone/Touch
5.) Black and White Color Scheme
6.) Refreshed iTunes store w/o iTunes Plus bec. they will replace al songs with DRM free.
7.) Support For the new iPod Nano 4th Gen with wifi
8.) HD Content in the store
9.) Songs are now embedded w/ lyrics
10.) Apple store integrated with iTunes
11.) Free ringtones
12.) Game now playable w/ iTunes 8
13.) Cover Flow Music Store.
14.) iPhone 3G support
15.) iPhone/Touch Games and Apps Store.

bobbit

Website
www.bluemutiny.com
16) iPods become plugins only.*
17) Updates are patches only and don't require a restart.

* - By this I mean iTunes doesn't deafault with <i>any</i> support for iPods unless you install it from a CD. If you want you iPod to be supported, you have to download a small file off the internet which becomes basically a plugin.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
"Top 40" lists. You should be able to create a smart playlist that shows the top played songs over a particular time period. The most played in January. The most played in the last three months. That sort of thing.

joker0153

more...

18.) Unified iTunes store opens to the world.
19.) iTunes Wifi Store (Not iTunes wifi Music Store)
20.) Open Device Integration (Zune, Sadisk, Etc. Can Connect to iTunes)(It's ok bec. iTunes store will have more profit)

AlphaRob

Surf Monkey said:
"Top 40" lists. You should be able to create a smart playlist that shows the top played songs over a particular time period. The most played in January. The most played in the last three months. That sort of thing.
I'm sorry, but can't you do that already with smart playlists? Tell me if I'm not getting something...

Chricton

- Better use of multi-core processors. The current version doesn't max me out when converting/etc. Seems like a waste.
- More collection facts. Like what iTunesregistry.com used to display.

AlphaRob

Surf Monkey said:
Nope. Not possible. OVERALL playcounts, yes, but not playcounts based on specific time periods.
Ah, gotcha. My bad. Yeah, that would be pretty nice come to think of it. I'm surprised it's not in there already.

paranoidxe

iTunes 8? how about cut out the fluffy (bloated) code and make it more efficient?

Running on a Athlon64 X2 3800+ 1.5GB of ram iTunes 7 is still a pretty poor performer.

joker0153

21.) Better Performance (Not Laggy) (Smart Use of RAM) [More RAM = Better Performance, Less RAM = More Productive(Not All Features Readily Available)]
22.) DVD Ripper

btw, i don't think HD content will be soon available in iTunes coupled with movie rentals that's because it looks like it's an Apple TV-Centric Thing, I think apple will jump into the bandwagon if they have more device that supports it, (for more profit)

Website
www.ilounge.com
3.) Cover flow like iPhone/Touch

I'm not sure what you mean by this one.... iTunes 7 already has a Cover Flow view...

6.) Refreshed iTunes store w/o iTunes Plus bec. they will replace al songs with DRM free.
8.) HD Content in the store
9.) Songs are now embedded w/ lyrics

These are not really dependent upon the iTunes software, but is rather a function of the iTunes Store, and could therefore be implemented without an iTunes version change.

1.) Support for iPod Touch HD
2.) Wi-fi wireless sync with the iPod Classic HD w/ wifi and Touch HD
7.) Support For the new iPod Nano 4th Gen with wifi
14.) iPhone 3G support

These points about "iTunes 8" are actually ideas for new iPod devices and other features that are really not really related to iTunes itself.... :)

Obviously if Apple releases a new iPod or iPhone, iTunes is going to have to be updated to accommodate this, but these aren't really features that are centered on iTunes, but rather simply the inevitable support that would be added for new devices or hardware.

So while it's nice to suggest that a new iPod touch HD or iPhone 3G should be coming, these are not iTunes features in any meaningful way, but rather wishlists for new iPod/iPhone devices.

11.) Free ringtones

That's definitely one that I would support as an iTunes feature.... The ability to take an unprotected song or other file that you already own, and turn it into a ringtone.

The current methodology for this is absolutely ridiculous, as it not only requires you to repurchase songs that you may otherwise own on CD already, but completely limits you to using music. What if I wanted a sound effect as a ringtone? There is presently no legitimate way to do this.

The need to sell ringtones in the way that they presently do is no doubt a concession to the recording industry, and Apple said as much during interviews at MWSF when the iPhone was released. However, there should really be no reason that users couldn't submit their own ringtones, and take their own responsibility for the process. Tying users' hands that rigidly is just foolish and shortsighted.

16) iPods become plugins only.*

* - By this I mean iTunes doesn't deafault with <i>any</i> support for iPods unless you install it from a CD. If you want you iPod to be supported, you have to download a small file off the internet which becomes basically a plugin.

I'm not sure what the benefit of this would be.... In fact, it would risk complicating the code further by having to support a plug-in architecture.

I suppose it might allow for easier support for newer models and features, but even then these are often dependent upon other changes within the iTunes code itself. For instance, when the Sep 2006 iPods came out, a "Skip Count" field was added to iTunes to track this new information. This requires more than a mere "plug-in" to support.

Yes. I second that one wholeheartedly. It would be trickier to implement, as iTunes would have to track the actual play history within its database in some form.

Presently, iTunes tracks only two fields: How many times a song has been played, and the last time it was played. For this to work properly, they'd have to keep a running play history, adding a date and timestamp for each time a track was played (basically a play log of sorts).

There could be other simpler workarounds, but these would limit its flexibility (for example, simply creating a consolidated set of counter fields on a month-by-month basis would restrict you to only being able to create "Top 40" playlists based on months, and not necessarily days or weeks).

Again, it's a great idea, but would require some significant changes and re-engineering the underlying database. Because of this, I'm not holding my breath, unfortunately.

(Of course, I'd be happy if Apple would just get around to fixing their existing issues with smart playlists across their devices... Until they've got that solved, adding new features is just going to muddy the waters further.... )

18.) Unified iTunes store opens to the world.

I'm sure if Apple could do this, they'd love to. You're going to have to put the blame solely on the media industry for this one.... Copyright holders and restrictions in various countries make both our lives and Apple's far more complicated.

(And lest you think that it's really Apple that's behind this, simply ask yourself whether they'd rather have all of their time and money tied up in negotiating individual country distribution agreements and having to manage country-specific content and restrictions, or simply be able to negotiate a single, worldwide distribution agreement. Obviously the latter is much easier and more efficient for them as well as the customer).

20.) Open Device Integration (Zune, Sadisk, Etc. Can Connect to iTunes)(It's ok bec. iTunes store will have more profit)

Although possible, this is somewhat unlikely. Apple promotes the iPod ecosystem rather heavily, and doesn't really have any desire to build in support for other devices.

Further, many of the newer players such as the Zune use a Microsoft-specific sync protocol. Although this could be ported to the Mac platform, it would require time and effort on Apple's part for relatively little benefit. Making this available only on the Windows platform would of course turn iTunes into a diverged product, which is something that Apple has tried to avoid.

Ultimately, the iTunes Store is not Apple's main profit centre.... It's the classic question of whether the iTunes Store drives iPod/iPhone/Apple TV sales or the other way around.

Apple makes more profit from their iPod devices than they do from the iTunes Store, so I think the answer to this is fairly obvious.

Of course, in terms of support for other devices, bobbit's "plug-in" architecture, suggested above, could allow other solutions to this problem by allowing the hardware manufacturers themselves to write their own plug-ins for iTunes. This would likely require little development or support effort on Apple's part, and is therefore the more likely solution in the event that Apple wants to go down this road at all.

Note that other manufacturers, such as Nokia, have managed to accomplish limited integration with iTunes through third-party transfer utilities that read the iTunes database. There's really no reason that other device manufacturers couldn't do something similar in the meantime if they really wanted to provide iTunes support.

(Also, unless Apple goes entirely DRM-free on their entire library, and offers free upgrades for people's existing collections, this cross-device support would also be pointless unless Apple also licensed FairPlay DRM to other device manufacturers, which I don't see happening).

22.) DVD Ripper

I hate to be a wet blanket, but this is another one that will likely never happen. The DMCA makes it completely illegal in the U.S. for Apple to do this, and they're therefore not even going to try.

This is the same reason that applications like Roxio's Popcorn and Crunch only rip unprotected DVDs. Breaking the CSS encryption on a DVD is in direct violation of the DMCA, even for an individual (so yes, even ripping your own DVDs with any software application is technically illegal if you reside in the U.S.). A major corporation is never going to release a software that breaks the law, as they would be shutdown by the DVDCCA in a heartbeat.

Obviously, this is only a U.S.-based issue (for the most part, there are a few other countries that are signatories to the international treaties regarding this), but the fact is that Apple is a U.S.-based company, and therefore is going to follow those rules.

(My opinion of the DMCA in general is a discussion for another thread. :) Fortunately I live in Canada... ;) )

eDiN

I own an iPod Touch 2.5G
A Restore button for any iPod on the File tab. As well as an Update for iPod on the File tab.

bobbit

Website
www.bluemutiny.com
I'm not sure what the benefit of this would be.... In fact, it would risk complicating the code further by having to support a plug-in architecture.

I suppose it might allow for easier support for newer models and features, but even then these are often dependent upon other changes within the iTunes code itself. For instance, when the Sep 2006 iPods came out, a "Skip Count" field was added to iTunes to track this new information. This requires more than a mere "plug-in" to support.
That's my point though. If you take out every iPod it supports and leave that serperate, you will have less code, and then the downloads will become significantly smaller.

When an update is done to the main part of iTunes, that should be done through patches and not through complete updates.

I'd imagine each 'plugin' for each iPod would be ~250/500kb, and that's a huge difference to the iTunes code when you consider how many there are.

Pearson

Original Hardcore Gamer
jhollington said:
11.) Free ringtones

That's definitely one that I would support as an iTunes feature.... The ability to take an unprotected song or other file that you already own, and turn it into a ringtone.

The current methodology for this is absolutely ridiculous, as it not only requires you to repurchase songs that you may otherwise own on CD already, but completely limits you to using music. What if I wanted a sound effect as a ringtone? There is presently no legitimate way to do this.

The need to sell ringtones in the way that they presently do is no doubt a concession to the recording industry, and Apple said as much during interviews at MWSF when the iPhone was released. However, there should really be no reason that users couldn't submit their own ringtones, and take their own responsibility for the process. Tying users' hands that rigidly is just foolish and shortsighted.
Yes, that is something I'd like to see as well. Because out of all my Trance music, only one song is available to make ringtone out of and that absolutely sux.