iTunes 7.2 moving files find: More research needed

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Cheers all,

You may all remember that we have said in the past that to move a file from it's location in the iTunes folder would cause iTunes to totally lose view of the file. I found something amazing in 7.2 today...

I moved some TV Show files from my iTunes folder to the desktop and then went to delete the instance from iTunes. I expected to see ! next to the alias. their were. I went to play the file, it played. The path had updated to the desktop location!

I haven't tried this with a music file yet. Edit: I just tried with a music file. Moved to desktop, played it. Stopped it, moved it back to location in iTunes folder, played it! It knew where the file was. This is an amazing new finding for iTunes! Or is my lack of sleep with the new baby affecting my brain?

Specs.
MacBook 2.16 Ghz 10.4.9
iTunes 7.2
Keep iTunes folder organized checked
Copy files to iTunes music folder checked.

If the iTunes library is becoming "smarter" this is going to be a great thing and fix some bigger problems that people have complained about iTunes.

Jesse, if you are reading. tests are needed!

Last edited:

bwh79

studogvetmed said:
This is an amazing new finding for iTunes! Or is my lack of sleep with the new baby affecting my brain?
Well now that depends. If you were in Explorer, actually moving files, then yes it's an amazing new feature. If you were dragging files from the iTunes window, your brain is fried, and you were just making copies. I can't test it myself, because I was never able to get 7.2 to work for me, I had to download 7.1.1 from filehippo.com. Sounds promising, though :)

Website
www.ilounge.com
I think you may actually be seeing a feature of OS X, rather than iTunes itself. I've probably mentioned this in another thread once upon a time, but when you move a file in OS X from one location to another on the same drive, OS X will track the file to its new location. This doesn't just happen in iTunes, but will apply to any reference to a file from any other application, including Finder aliases, recently opened file lists in applications like Textedit or Word, and even iPhoto and Aperture images and iMovie projects. It's an OS-level function, rather than a specific application feature.

It doesn't apply when moving files to a different drive, however, since in that case you're not really moving the file, per se, but rather making a copy and deleting the original (under the hood). A move on the same drive, however, is really just a sophisticated rename (and of course, renames of files therefore also work the same way).

Obviously, it won't work this way in Windows, even with iTunes 7.2.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Ah....

Oh well.

I do remember you mention something along the lines earlier.

Oh well.

Truth on the coying bwh.

Oh well. I really don't care as I do all my work in iTunes anyway, but thought it might be a comeback to some of the "power" users.
:)