iTunes 6 Released. Post all comments here

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Endeavor

Give me a break

iTunes 6 and STILL no additional tag fields? Unbelievable.

logger

Does iTunes 6 offer any real benefits or added features for Gen4 or earlier iPods?

alderan_22

SUCKS - every 2nd imported title without time and invalid. Unbelievable they carry this bug over two versions.

monoblocks

Fresh install of iTunes 6 w/ 2005-09-23 updater on a clean, new virgin Windoze XP Pro box...so far, none of the insane iTunes 5/5.0.1 problems I had on my old XP Home computer.

All opps have been good so far...so are the 22x rip speeds...lots better than the 5x speeds I was getting on the old 'puter.

Contraband

The idea of downloading a show for $1.99 is awesome, but I don't have much of an interest in the shows listed. Of course, this is just the launch, so it would be too much to expect that this early.

But, like most in this thread, I'm DYING for them to change certain ways the interface works.

Things I would die for:

- Smooth transitions between songs
- Ability to link songs together so that when one plays, the other one follows (in other words, if a song is in two parts, or contains an intro track, it would play the entire thing as one track)
- Some kind of short cut to toggling shuffle on & off on an iPod (perhaps a pipedream)

Those are the things I feel Apple should address to perfect the iTunes/iPod platform. That's just me though.

Contraband

BTW, is there an offical "What's new" list? Perhaps that's another thing Apple could improve; listing the changes in versions (unless they do and I am just unaware).

misscali

Website
www.california.bravehost.com
lol silly goose
of course they do: scroll down a bit on the left side apple.com/itunes/overview/
"New in iTunes 6
Music Videos

Browse more than 2,000 music videos available for $1.99.
TV Shows

Download full seasons or the latest episodes of your favorite ABC and Disney shows.
Customer Reviews

Post your own customer reviews and ratings, and read what other fans have to say.
Just For You

Get personalized recommendations tailored to your musical preferences.
Give Music and More

Buy and send music and videos as gifts. Give iTunes Music Cards and gift certificates.
The Complete Stevie Wonder

Download over 500 songs, a full-color digital booklet and three bonus videos in a single click."

misscali

Website
my take on it:
keep in mind, itunes 5 came out only a few weeks ago, this was just to accompany the new ipod w/ video.

i like the just for you section, amazon used to be my favorite website, i compared prices, looked up things, based on my tastes, what i liked. so, obviously ive been looking forward to reccomendations from itunes.

video, eh. im a disbeliever in the support of very much video. and im not a big music video person.
i AM upset that i cant seem to import any of my videos. not even real videos, avi files of icons! lol. erg. i cant for the life of me find something that lists the files it supports, even music files itunes will play as a matter of fact.

i like customer reviews..but it seems those are going to be praise only..idk

you also cant edit the information exclusively about videos..how ###. that could've been used as an extra comment field..i was actually planning to do just that when i saw it.

still wish i could do a mass relocation of files..not ALL of them..like half..my singles.

i thought you could group songs together..but i guess not. im pretty sure i remember something about being able to do it when you import songs from a cd though. I would like to be able to do that though. esp with comedy files, I want them to be played in order, but its easier to find a spot if its not just one big file.

and last but certainly not least..
two words..
SKIP COUNT

get jiggy in NP

Cartoon-a-list
Website
www.extreme-nepal.com
I don't get this...

Very strange to go from 4.9 to 5 to 6 in just a month or so. What are they thinking? Ok, I don't understand global warming or black holes either but what I want to know is 6 better than 4.9 and safe to install. It seemed like 5 was not either. The list of new features posted here seems totally bogus and useless (u don't need itunes 6 at all to buy 1.99 music videos, i can do that in 4.9).

Anyway, I love my music system (ipod, shuffle, itunes 4.9, my little sony laptop) and I don't want to do anything that is going to mess it up, but I do want to improve it if possible. So I guess I'll keep reading here for a few days...

On another note, in 6 is there a way to just in a few clicks convert my entire music library (over 4000 songs) from fat mp3 files to the slimmer ACC files? I just read this page on the apple site and just upgraded to QT 7.03 Pro, so I am intrigued:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/aac/
Thanks all!!!
jigs

misscali

Website
ive upgraded many times and have yet to have problems. Well, actually I think I had a problem once, but I reinstalled and it worked. Of course it's "safe" to install on your computer. I don't see why you wouldnt. If you have problems just come and ask for help here.

non_zero

Website
iologs.com
The video management in iTunes 6.0 for Windows is pretty bad.

My computer isn't top-of-the-line, but it's by no means slow. Playing video in iTunes is a really laggy process, and the window sporadically disappears and reappears.

No mass-option editing for all videos. I can't select a group of videos and designate them all as Music Videos or "Skip when shuffling". I have to do them one-by-one... and I have close to 300 videos in here. It's pretty tedious.

I can't designate my own videos as a "TV Show". The only choices I have are "Movie" and "Music Video".

Getting into the way it integrates with the iPod... I don't like videos showing up in my songs library. It slows down iTunes, it slows down my iPod, etc.

Also, no built-in way to convert videos. Meh.

I'll work around it, but I do hope some of these things are addressed in the near future.

non_zero

Website
iologs.com
Also -- there is no "Clear" option for videos. The only way to get rid of them is by pressing the Delete key.

And iTunes does NOT sync video files to the iPod that are designated as "Movie". What's up with that?

get jiggy in NP

Cartoon-a-list
Website
www.extreme-nepal.com
Originally posted by misscali Of course it's "safe" to install on your computer. I don't see why you wouldnt. If you have problems just come and ask for help here. [/B]
there are hundreds of posts here and elsewhere that indicate 5 was a disaster and that 6 did nothing to fix the problems, lots of problems noted with QT during install, and a host of other problems. but heck, i'll back everything up and give it a go. let ya know in a few hours...

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
non_zero said:
Also -- there is no "Clear" option for videos. The only way to get rid of them is by pressing the Delete key.

And iTunes does NOT sync video files to the iPod that are designated as "Movie". What's up with that?
Are you getting an error message. Do you have one of the new iPods? Make sure the non-transferring files are in the correct format. You can get some files into iTunes that will not transfer to the iPod.

get jiggy in NP

Cartoon-a-list
Website
www.extreme-nepal.com
Okay, I crossed my fingers and toes and installed 6.1 on my system and here are the results:

* no disasters as of yet

* CDs burn (but they moved the menus around so don't be alarmed, look under advanced for burn settings) but then they don't play back. The speaker skips through all the songs very fast and that's it. The CD is valid, I think, as it plays just fine in WMP and afdter restarting itunes all is well again. But it does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about burning.

* a new file appears on the desktop after burning: _GEAREXT.WO_IDENT.TXT which has a bunch of information that i could care less about. but there are feilds there that pertain to customer, ie. me I think. I am glad they are blank, but it looks like a way to track who is burning what.

* the much touted video features seem to be a bust; while downloaded itunes videos play fine, the preview feature does not seem to work yet. Also, I can't find a way to add my own video files to the library, so what good is that? just for the $1.99+ ones?

* miniplayer does not seem to be compatible with video playing. no window, just audio. that's a joke for me, as 90% of the time that's the mode i use.

* the interface has a darker skin and improved shading. nice, looks better now with my i-skin / windowblinds setup. the progress bar is much improved as well.

all in all, worth the upgrade i suppose and not dangerous as i once thought. So go for it and post your results here!
jigs

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
get jiggy in NP said:

* the much touted video features seem to be a bust; while downloaded itunes videos play fine, the preview feature does not seem to work yet. Also, I can't find a way to add my own video files to the library, so what good is that? just for the $1.99+ ones?

I've added multiple movies to iTunes. Make sure they are compatible mpeg-4/H264, etc. Avis won't go, WMP files won't go, etc.

* miniplayer does not seem to be compatible with video playing. no window, just audio. that's a joke for me, as 90% of the time that's the mode i use.
You can set it so the movie opens in a small window, which may functional as a mini player

Good luck,
Stu

get jiggy in NP

Cartoon-a-list
Website
www.extreme-nepal.com
thanks

studogvetmed said:

I've added multiple movies to iTunes. Make sure they are compatible mpeg-4/H264, etc. Avis won't go, WMP files won't go, etc.

You can set it so the movie opens in a small window, which may functional as a mini player

Good luck,
Stu [/B]
Studo, thanks for that! What I was hoping for was a library for all my fav stuff: music, video, and pictures. I am a videographer/photographer and music producer. I am using Itunes for music and Imatch for photos and videos and sure would like just one library/database that did it all. Imatch sucks for video, but it was intended and is great for digital photographers. We all know the power of Itunes for music. I guess someday they will figure that out. I'm kinda surprised I don't see any photo catagory in Itunes, as I hear the new pods support photos somehow. Do folks just drag them into a folder? Kinda crude no? Anyway, how is loveland these days? I used to live in Berthoud! I was going to school at CU lifetimes ago. Now I live in Nepal. Go figure.
Cheers,
jigs