iTunes 5 updates songs on iPod everytime

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
It would appear with the iTunes 5.0 and 5.0.1 any songs played in iTunes between sync will be updated to the iPod. It is unknown if the entire song is being updater or just information about the song. It is unknown if this is related to the update itself or just iTunes 5. The library has changed from iTunes 4, so it may make since that songs have "changed" and will be reupdated when the appropriate signal is given.

One user has reported that songs no longer update unusually after a restore, another users reports that they do.

I am going to run a few tests of my own.

See what Mac users are saying about this issue here

Last edited:

monoblocks

I agree...any song played in iTunes, even those which are only partially listened to (but not complete to the end of song) where the Play Count and Last Played data doesn't appear changed will do the multiple copy tranfer to an iPod. I've refrained from hooking up my 3G or either of our Shuffles to iTunes, but with one of our nanos and my 40GB 4G iTunes will transfer away making multiple copies when I manually transfer using updated playlists.

My wife's 1G Mini, however, is a complete basket case. All sorts of erroneous file data came across when I tried to manually sync that puppy (according to iTunes, the names went across, but the actual musical content didn't). The result was so messy that I had no choice but to purge all the files--good and bad--off the Mini, and that took two or three tries to finally accomplish. But now iTunes 5.0.1 won't let me copy ANY files back on, instead given me an Unknown Error message (-124) partially into the attempted batch file transfer. When I disconnect the Mini, I find that NO files at all are transferred, even those that supposedly came before the error message. :mad:

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
I am starting to think this is some kind of strange bug in that iTunes sends new data to the iPod for the littlest thing now, but I'm not sure. A restore and resync of the iPod did not decrease the issue for me.

Jough: The issue you speak of is not a problem, but the limits of manual sync, I don't think there will ever be a way to transfer playcounts back to iTunes from a manual sync player.

twizzle

An update to this. I have a track that is 116 seconds long (actually 116.035 seconds). Convert it to AAC in iTunes 5 - it becomes 115 seconds long. On iTunes 4 it is 116 seconds in MP3 or AAC.

I have a database that stores my ipod tunes (don't ask why - I used it to teach myself HTML) - when I updated my database having played this track it thought it was a new one (because I identify the tracks by title, date added and length). Length changed = new track.

Not a big deal, but it sounds like another bug in iTunes 5.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Twizzle. In your case this is an actual change to the song file so it should be recognized to be updated regardless of if it has the same track name, etc. The file has physically changed. That is unless I am misunderstanding your meaning.

twizzle

Thanks for your thoughts, but I don't think you are right. I have two files - one in MP3 format, one in AAC. iTunes 4 says they are both 116 seconds long. iTunes 5 says the MP3 is 116 seconds, but the AAC is 115 sconds.

How can that be?

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
The conversion process could have clipped some information making the song shorter, or it could be as you say a bug in the way time is calculated. If that is what you meant.

I may have misunderstood your original suggestion as we had been talking about how any song played in iTunes seems to get reupdated to the iPod completely with each sync

StoneWolf

iNinja
Website
rent-a-ninja.blogspot.com
I've already posted this in /showthread.php?s=&threadid=53235 but it seems to be relevant to this thread as well.

I've noticed that when this unnecessary song update is performed the song length is different than it was before. For some reason, iTunes Library entry lengths get changed from time to time. More often than not, they end up being changed to a length shorter than the song itself. This will make the song cut-off early if played on the iPod. I observed that if you play the file in iTunes it will actually retrieve the REAL song length from the file itself (fixing itself) and update the library accordingly. If you sync again the song will be fixed on the iPod as well.

Using the iTunes SDK I made a script that went through all the tracks, calling the UpdateInfoFromFile() to repair all the improper file lengths. After doing this and syncing all the songs play properly. However, the song lengths still get shortened on their own from time to time and I have NOT been able to figure out the cause.

Since I cannot attach the script to this post, here is the code:

Code:
var ITTrackKindFile	= 1;
var	iTunesApp = WScript.CreateObject("iTunes.Application");
var	refreshedTracks = 0;
var	mainLibrary = iTunesApp.LibraryPlaylist;
var	tracks = mainLibrary.Tracks;
var	numTracks = tracks.Count;
var	i;
var 	result;

while (numTracks != 0)
{
	var	currTrack = tracks.Item(numTracks);

// is this a file track?
	if (currTrack.Kind == ITTrackKindFile)
	{
		result = currTrack.UpdateInfoFromFile();
		refreshedTracks++;
	}

numTracks--;
}

jough

El Guapo
Website
poetryx.com
Well, I played a 50 song playlist in iTunes that was also on my nano. I played it once straight through, and then again on shuffle, and I rated a bunch of the songs, and corrected the lyrics on only two songs.

When I reconnected my nano it updated only those two songs, although it did also add my ratings to the nano. The process took about four seconds.

I'm using iTunes 5.0.1 in Windows XP, so maybe this is a problem that is only in the Mac version?

bluejacket

StoneWolf said:
I've already posted this in /showthread.php?s=&threadid=53235 but it seems to be relevant to this thread as well.

I've noticed that when this unnecessary song update is performed the song length is different than it was before. For some reason, iTunes Library entry lengths get changed from time to time. More often than not, they end up being changed to a length shorter than the song itself. This will make the song cut-off early if played on the iPod. I observed that if you play the file in iTunes it will actually retrieve the REAL song length from the file itself (fixing itself) and update the library accordingly. If you sync again the song will be fixed on the iPod as well.

Using the iTunes SDK I made a script that went through all the tracks, calling the UpdateInfoFromFile() to repair all the improper file lengths. After doing this and syncing all the songs play properly. However, the song lengths still get shortened on their own from time to time and I have NOT been able to figure out the cause.

Since I cannot attach the script to this post, here is the code:

Code:
var ITTrackKindFile	= 1;
var	iTunesApp = WScript.CreateObject("iTunes.Application");
var	refreshedTracks = 0;
var	mainLibrary = iTunesApp.LibraryPlaylist;
var	tracks = mainLibrary.Tracks;
var	numTracks = tracks.Count;
var	i;
var 	result;

while (numTracks != 0)
{
	var	currTrack = tracks.Item(numTracks);

// is this a file track?
	if (currTrack.Kind == ITTrackKindFile)
	{
		result = currTrack.UpdateInfoFromFile();
		refreshedTracks++;
	}

numTracks--;
}
Tried to save this in script editor, and it throws up an identifier error...

wezman2k

it is still a problem in itunes 6. i'm restoring my ipod right now to see if that fixes anything.

it seems like it only happens with songs that are fully played in itunes. for example, if i'm listening to music on my computer and let 3 songs play consecutively in a row, those three songs will be uploaded onto the ipod the next time i plug it in.

they're just overwritten....it's not a huge deal, but it is pretty irritating.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
I hadn't notice any continued issues. Which iTunes 6 do you have? I'll have to take a look. I'll play a bunch in iTunes sometime today and check to see what happens to me in 6.0.2

Stu

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
I spent a good 5 hours listening to music this morning. When I updated my iPod this afternoon, only three songs updated (ones I recently grabbed today for free from iTunes).

Not 100% sure what the recent issue is. What version of iTunes are you up to? Operating system? I'm on OS 10.4.4

dalesd

I'm using 6.04 and occasionally iTunes updates every song. It doesn't do it on every sync.

I mostly just listen to podcasts on my commute. My workaround is to make up a playlist on Sunday night, and listen to that for the week. I don't sync the iPod again until the weekend. (It's a 30GB, 5th Gen, video, black, blah.)