iTunes 4.9 Released

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

swy32x

iTunes 4.9 is available for download for the Windows Platform from Apples iTunes Page

Can't wait to start messing around with the Podcasts, where, at the time of writing, none are available through the iTunes Music Store.

Sequence

iPod Addict
In the music store, click on
1- Audiobooks
2- Podcast

Then you'll see the iTunes Music Store Podcast page.

zensu

simple question

I am not that familiar with the iTunes store, do they charge for podcast? I'm sorry to ask such a simple question but You don't know until you ask.
Zensu

swy32x

Nope, their free.

I've downloaded several, you don't even need an iTMS ID.

topmounter

Some of the Podcasts are showing up as .TORRENT files and I'm getting an error.

How does Itunes support torrents now?

Ichijoe

All Rush, All the time...
not sure about wether you need to be a member of the iTMS or not. For me in Germany it would appear that I would. Since the iTMS started a new Direct Deposit system (I do not own or want a CC), I was finally abel to become a member (allthough I had to uninstall Firefox to get there!), I can D/L Tracks and Autorize 'em now just fine.

But, why should I have a problem getting ceritan Podcasts to work.

E.x.: EU Meltdown - Adam Curry (Fails to download)
or the Inside Mac Radio News Program for Friday June 24 2005 which will download. BUT WILL NOT LET ME PLAY IT! It give me an error stateing that I'm not autorized to play that File WTF!

So I D/L a Track @0.99(EUR), and it plays fine! I think Apples Podcasts are BORKED!!! :mad:

IlIlIlIlIl

Ichijoe said:
not sure about wether you need to be a member of the iTMS or not. For me in Germany it would appear that I would. Since the iTMS started a new Direct Deposit system (I do not own or want a CC), I was finally abel to become a member (allthough I had to uninstall Firefox to get there!), I can D/L Tracks and Autorize 'em now just fine.

But, why should I have a problem getting ceritan Podcasts to work.

E.x.: EU Meltdown - Adam Curry (Fails to download)
or the Inside Mac Radio News Program for Friday June 24 2005 which will download. BUT WILL NOT LET ME PLAY IT! It give me an error stateing that I'm not autorized to play that File WTF!

So I D/L a Track @0.99(EUR), and it plays fine! I think Apples Podcasts are BORKED!!! :mad:
the reason is because Podcast on iTunes was just introduced yesterday. Every podcaster uses different file formats (some use MP3, some use AAC, and some probably use formats like WMA). There isn't a streamlined universal way of publishing podcasts until now, so obviously some podcasts may be screwed up. Give it time. a track from iTunes music store works because everything in the music store is organized and encoded by Apple.

johnsonl33

i'd recommend against installing itunes 4.9. it has ruined all my ratings and playcounts.

back up your xml file before upgrading.

johnsonl33

ironhorse,

i'm happy to report that i fixed my problem, but it required a little bit of "hacking" on my part.

to shed a little more light on what happened, my library was not "wiped out" ... what happened was ratings and play counts were all kinds of messed up. over 1000 of my songs had negative playcounts and none of my ratings were kept in tact.

luckily itunes saved a copy of my library before it upgraded to 4.9 and i was able to revert back to that old library.

my recommendation is to not upgrade until apple comes out with an official solution to the bug.

silver_haze20

Noob Hunter Hunter
I've had the same problem with rating etc. Don't worry, its obvious where the file is, Documents and settings\My music\iTunes\Previous music librarys and for me it was the only file in there, but use the most recent one...

I think this is absolutely appaling as a LOT of people will be upgrading and theres no word on Apples behalf. My playcounts have been taken to -1000000000 and even lower than that, my ratings are messed up, its taken me roughly a year to organise my library to what it is, and now Apple releases a dodgy piece of software to mess it up for me...

j238

Website
www.nowplayingnyc.com
The podcasting feature of iTunes isn't just a technical innovation. It is a feature of the music store.

As of now, I've only seen 'free' podcasts.

How long will it be before Apple starts making arrangements for paid subscriptions in which they will share the revenue with the podcasters?

marwan

i know people are gonna shoot me, so here goes, i downloaded the new iTunes 4.9 and i still dont know what Podcasts is......so what is it?

thanks!

catpodder

A podcast is just a radio type broadcast in an mp3 file format (usually) that you can listen to as you want to. I like the NPR shows like Brian Lehrer, Le Show, Leonard Lopate, On the Media, etc. I'm having trouble getting rid of them after I've listened to them. If I clear them out of the Podcast list, I think it wipes the subscription item too.

blownS

Probably a super dumb question, but do you simply install v4.9 over v4.8? Or do I have to uninstall 4.8 b4 installing 4.9?

TIA

TheDoctor

He's Not All There
I'm still on 4.7 as I heard bad things about corruptions with 4.8 and never quite got round to the upgrade and with having a 4G 20gb, there wasn't much in 4.8 for me. Now with 4.9 there are new features, so I'll have to bite the bullet.

All previous versions of iTunes just install over the existing one.

As for PodCasts, the BBC are making a ton of their output available - for free. I guess once PodCasts take off, there may be some that are charged for, such as Live8 and other live music coverage.