iTunes 4.7 Changes?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jough

El Guapo
Website
poetryx.com
Is there a list of changes and updates to the new iTunes 4.7?

I know it now has a "Find Duplicate Songs" feature, supports transferring photos to the new iPod Photo, shows an iPod tab in the preferences menu, and added iTunes Music Store support for nine new countries, but I had to figure that out just by using it and observing the differences.

Does Apple put out a public press release showing new features or bug fixes?

Hopefully this new version won't make my entire computer freeze up like 4.6 did.

enjoilax

Idk if i want to install it, i want to make sure that ourTunes will work with it...

yinyang

Retired
there doesn't seem to be anything yet, though there will usually be a knowledge base document that will explain all the new features.

best bet is to watch some of the mac forums (macrumors or macnn) to see how the 'early adopters' go with it - i never download and install without checking those pages, since i'm no guinea pig...!

Code Monkey

It's doing exactly the same thing as it always did only there is the new 'Edit' function to find duplicates (which appears to only be based on Artist/Title but it's still pretty useful with a collection my size where the same song is on the original album, the best of, and some movie soundtrack.

I wouldn't be afraid of it ;)

Podunk

1. Minimize to system tray. (Windows)
2. Option to keep mini player always on top.
3. Option to mimimize to toolbar player.
4. Improvements to AAC encoder. (new version of QuickTime).

Very nice, indeed. Small but very needed improvements.

FoolsRun

iPod preferences are now on the regular preferences window, too, instead of their own little popup.

--
M

enjoilax

So its basically mplugin does except the get rid of duplicate songs...

I went back to 4.6 btw.

jough

El Guapo
Website
poetryx.com
I noticed that the sound check scan when you add files to your library is about five times faster now.

Also, the album art seems to have disappeared on a number of the albums that I had previously set it up for, except for the first track of that album. Is this a new "feature"?

Still, it's just a point release. I notice the Windows version is a bit more stable (i.e. I've been using 4.7 all day and it hasn't crashed yet) so it's worth the upgrade for me if only for the bug fixes.

Evidently there's a new version of the iPod Updater too (new file name for the installer, too) so maybe there's new firmware today? Can anyone confirm?

yinyang

Retired
jough said:

Evidently there's a new version of the iPod Updater too (new file name for the installer, too) so maybe there's new firmware today? Can anyone confirm?
it's like the last new iPod Updater - only useful if you have the newest version (a ploy on apple's part to get everyone excited that previous gens get new functionality...!?)

Last edited:

jough

El Guapo
Website
poetryx.com
Ah, I see, so people who bought an iPod last week are screwed, huh? No new firmware updates for us non-photo 4G buyers?

If they never release a firmware update for the 40Gb 4G that fixes some of its bugs this will be my first and last iPod. I'm not going to continue to support a company that ignores their new products after a measly three months.

jedk

parannoya said:
1. Minimize to system tray. (Windows)
2. Option to keep mini player always on top.
3. Option to mimimize to toolbar player.
4. Improvements to AAC encoder. (new version of QuickTime).

Very nice, indeed. Small but very needed improvements.
I agree. 4.7 is a useful upgrade, IMO.

yinyang

Retired
jough said:
If they never release a firmware update for the 40Gb 4G that fixes some of its bugs this will be my first and last iPod. I'm not going to continue to support a company that ignores their new products after a measly three months.
we get this EVERY TIME a new model comes out with new features that everyone assumes that apple can and should fix with a firmware release, and angry posts are written, polls and petitions started, tempers flare, etc....!

this is not to put down your point, or that i disagree with it...it's just so predictable. nobody ever seems to be satisfied with the features or lack of, yet somehow apple sells them by the bucketload! you get used to it - i remember i bought my 3g 30Gb ipod three weeks before the 40Gb came out, and it was cheaper too!!

iTunes 4.7 though looks interesting - will have to download...! :)

toothpaste

the find duplicate feature is something that i am interested in. It really sucks going thru 18,000 or so mp3's to see where i have duplicates. What a headache remover.

AndyH

Apple states the following on one of the iTunes 4.7 installer screens:

What's new in iTunes 4.7
iTunes 4.7 includes support for copying photos to an iPod photo, the ability to show duplicate songs in your library, a mini player in the task bar, and other performance improvements.

legacyb4

Website
www.apexjapan.com
What were you expecting to have fixed, out of curiosity? Is there something wrong with your 4G that requires a firmware update?

jough said:

Podunk

aquatika said:
Is that correct ?? I couldn't see it mentioned anywhere. :confused:
Yes, definately. Apple does mention it briefly and vaguely.

But more importantly, the Hydrogen Gang has already verified (informally) that a certain ringing noise that was noticeably present (to digital audiophiles) in songs encoded with iTunes 4.6 has been corrected in 4.7.

The user interface enhancements are nice, but this alone is reason enough to upgrade.

Last edited: