iTues 12.7.2

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Chrisman

Dear iLoungers, 3 questions: Is it to be assumed that iTunes download is Free? Im suspicious of clicking when the apple store does not 'say' click here for free download. I know from some-years-ago experience that they seemed to hope that I would pay them for it, but perhaps they have gotten over this greed. So, 2nd Q; where do you recommend I best I get the download ? thanks for your help. :confused:

sallenmd

iTunes is and always has been free. Only download from Apple. No need to risk by going elsewhere.

cjmnews

Staff member
As the previous responder stated, iTunes is always free, since it access their store where you can buy stuff, and a lot of people do, there is no need to charge for iTunes.

Apple has not tried to charge for iTunes that I am aware of, and I have been using it since near the beginning.

The only link you need for the latest version: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Chrisman

Dear cjmnews, Thanks for your reply. One more little thing' : is there any outlet where I might access NOT the most recent 12.7.2 edition of iTunes ? Im a relative Luddite and have grown suspicious of the constant updates (I still use El Capitan, tho' I have the image of Half Dome on my desktop.) And, sorry, for the record, Apple decreased efficiency greatly by 'improving' Mail Thanks

Chrisman

Dear cjmnews, I know that Apple would as soon have it all but alternatives are, after all, the American Way. Would you say that downloading iTunes from filehippo is 'safe'---whatever that means. Thanks for your help

cjmnews

Staff member
I haven't seen any problems so far with filehippo.com. I have sent people there in the past to roll back iTunes to a more usable version. I have downloaded a couple programs there myself as well. So far no ads installed with the software.

Chrisman

Dear cjmnews, Believe it or not, I have been downloading most of this day iTunes version 12.5.4, from filehippo--this is the version (12.5.4.42) that my iMac runs. My intention is to get same on the used Lenovo PC I just bought. It runs Windows 7) My 'downloads folder has now 5 separate 'exe' files and none of them will install properly. some of the error codes are as follows: upon clicking the itunes desktop icon: "iTunes.exe system error. The program cant start becauseMSVCR120.dll is missing" cryptic enough ?
the other error reads: "module C:\program files\iTunes\iTunesAdmin.dll failed to register. HRESULT-2147024770. contact your support personnel" Could this be you? Is this something simple that is being painstaking because of my bad attitude?

Thanks for your help. Truly.

cjmnews

Staff member
No I am not the administrator. You are.

That looks like one of 2 problems.
1. You are missing the visual C++ redistributables https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784
2. You are installing the 64 bit version of iTunes on 32 bit Windows 7. You have to be sure you install the correct version. You can find which version you need by opening Windows Explorer, find Computer, right click on it and choose Properties. Look at the System Type and it will say 32 bit or 64 bit.

The Mac version of iTunes 12.5.4 is located https://filehippo.com/mac/download_itunes_for_mac/72229/
The 64 and 32 bit Windows version of iTunes 12.5.4 is located https://filehippo.com/download_itunes/72219/
The 64 bit Windows version of 12.5.4 is accessed by clicking the big green button.
The 32 bit Windows version of 12.5.4 is accessed by clicking the green arrow on the big green button and choosing the 32 bit version.

Apple has more help here: https://support.apple.com/en-vn/HT201668

Chrisman

Dear cjmnews, The plot thickens: 2 things: my 'driver file details' reads "C:windows\System32\DRIVERS\Apsx64sys" The other 2 "C:\Windows" items listed both mention 'System32" but not the reference to 64 as above. Following your (very handy) link to filehippo, I quickly downloaded the 32-bit version but upon installing it an iTunes window with a yellow exclamation point read: "this itunes installer is intended for 32-bit versions of Windows. Please download and install the 64 bit iTunes installer instead" (which I had done repeatedly yesterday) But wait there is more: so, here on the iMac, I clicked on the link you included for the "visual C++ redistributables" and it opened--on the Mac but punching the address in on the Lenovo, Microsoft stated that theyre sorry, this download is no longer avaliable when I spelled out 'download' (just prior to the 'aspx?id=40784') When I use d the succession of periods following the word 'down' they call it "bad request" Sheesh, this is getting moe confusing and annoying. Do these symptoms and clues suggest where to go from here ? thanks, I really appreciate your help

cjmnews

Staff member
Chrisman,
System Type:
You did not find the place where I was directing you to find the system type, but you know what it is now. 64 bit. You can skip looking for the System Type now. You need the 64 bit version of iTunes.

Redistributables:
It sounds like you didn't get the entire link entered into the Lenovo. You should be able to access this same thread from the Lenovo and click on it. Or remember after the word download there is /details. before the aspx.

The redistributables page should open and show you a red download button, click that then select vc_redistx64.exe, then click Next. Then save the file to your PC and run it.

Chrisman

Dear cjmnews, Thanks for your vigilance and patience---but there is more. I succeeded in downloading the C++redist file you directed me to; thank you. However, when installing it I have gotten an error code which states : "the following blocking issues must be resolved before you can install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 X64 Redistributable setup software package; Please resolve the following: A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine"

cjmnews

Staff member
Based on what we have done before, I would think the next step would be obvious.
Google Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 X64 Redistributable, click the link from Microsoft, install it.

Oh if you get an error from that one asking about 2008 or 2005, then repeat the process.
Same goes for .NET runtime updates.

The lack of redistributables on this system makes me wonder if it has been running Windows Update or not. I think these are installed as part of the system update process. It looks like this system has not been updated in years. Running it manually and installing all updates will reduce the amount of searching and installing that you need to do. Maybe eliminate it altogether.

Chrisman

Dear cjmnews, The Microsoft website was too confusing to me and it seemed to be 'pushing' a windows 10 upgrade, not the 'updating' I sought. Somehow I dug into a window on my laptop that revealed download of the, now infamous, MS Visual C++ 2010 But as a x86. Recalling yesterday's 'vcredist' installation being halted by presence of a 'newer version', I, with some difficulty and uncertainty, uninstalled that update and proceded to retry to install the 64-bit waiting patiently in my downloads folder, and Presto, it successfully installed---tho' I will believe it when I have restored itunes music files from my tired and to-be-retired, 2007 laptop, which is also a Thinkpad back, apparently before Lenovo, the Russian sounding company took the reins from Big Blue. Id appreciate any 'closing comments' you may have, and thank you again for your guidance. Sincerely, Chrisman

cjmnews

Staff member
As stated above, you may want to enable Windows Update on the system you are going to keep. Initially (the first run) will take a long time, after that you should only see monthly updates.

The lack of support for various versions of applications is worrisome.

Be sure to download and install Microsoft Security Essentials to have some security protection and it will set up a registry entry that will allow security updates to continue to be installed.

Now that you have VS2010 Redistributiables installed, you can do the VS2013 Redistributables, and then iTunes. Then copy your iTunes folder from the old system to the Music folder for your login on the new system.

There may be other tweaks that you may need to do after the iTunes data is restored, but they are usually quick and easy.