iTrip LCD problems

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ipodaround

Hello all!
I was just wondering if any of you have had the same problems as myself with the new iTrip LCD from Griffin?
The darn thing makes a "popping" noise before each song my iPod plays!!
The music also sounds like crap in the LX or stereo mode! It sounds better in the DX mode...but who wants to listen to their music in mono??
I emailed Griffin on this problem and never got a response back for them!
The orginial iTrip seems to still be a better product and plays the music in good quality stereo!!

Anybody else want to rip on this product??
Fell free to join in on this post!

Jeff

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Personally, I did find the quality of my original (non-LCD) iTrip to be superior to the iTrip LCD. I've been getting the "popping" noises as well, which I think is related to the iPod hard drive accessing content or something similar.

As far as the quality goes, I suspect that in my case the iTrip LCD simply doesn't output the same amount of power as the original iTrip did. If I'm away from any sources of major radio interference, it works as well as the original iTrip, but doesn't seem to have as much power to punch through all of the other radio stations in a major metropolitan area.

Ronin47

I returned the iTrip LCD that I got.

It was junk and just did not work. Poorly designed from the getgo from what I could see.

It was pretty much useless.

My advice: Dump it!

What to use? I have no idea. I tried an Xtrememac AirPlay before that and it was no good at all. I did try the original iTrip briefly and it worked some of the time, but was not worth the effort (it was extremely inconvenient to use if you had to change channels).

I am still looking for something that actually works.

I am amazed at the poor quality of these things.

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
I actually picked up the Kensington Digital FM Transmitter, about a week ago, and have been very happy with it's performance. In connects to the dock connector and provides charging and FM transmission from there, and the quality is a lot better since the FM signal is basically being transmitted via the car charger port, which means less interference and more transmission power.

Also, because it uses the dock port, it's compatible with the Nano and the new 5G (which is the main reason I bought it).

All in all, I've found the quality to be very good (better than even my original iTrip), and not only is it relatively easy to change to any station, but it also has three pre-set buttons that you can easily program for commonly-used stations.

We have a review here if you're interested.

Twister

Website
www.twistermc.com
My iTrip LCD makes that popping sound too and my iPod is brand new. Griffin said I could send it in and get it replaced but it'd take 2-4 weeks.

Now I need a good alternative or I'm not sending in my iTrip LCD. No cords & no batteries is a must as I use it in the car and at work. I was thinking of the Xtrememac AirPlay but who else has opinions on that one?

dandyrandy

In addition to the pop between songs, my iTrip LCD causes my iPod Photo to become microphonic - tapping on the iPod or iTrip transmits a hollow ringing sound through the FM radio. They offer to replace it under warranty, but it sounds like more of a design flaw. I doubt that a refurbished replacement will solve the problem.

logger

Mine works fine. No audible sound between songs. Only real criticism is the sound quality could be better. Initially it was a bit on the quiet side untill I turned Sound Check off. But for the price it does the job.

Ronin47

Twister said:
My iTrip LCD makes that popping sound too and my iPod is brand new. Griffin said I could send it in and get it replaced but it'd take 2-4 weeks.

Now I need a good alternative or I'm not sending in my iTrip LCD. No cords & no batteries is a must as I use it in the car and at work. I was thinking of the Xtrememac AirPlay but who else has opinions on that one?
I do not recommend the Xtrememac AirPlay. My experience is with just one unit, but it failed to function at all some of the time and failed to perform in an acceptable manner all of the time.

I have not yet tried the Kensington unit that jhollington mentions. I do not know if it goes below 88.1 or not. There seems to be a misinterpretation of the FCC rules regarding those frequencies by a number of the manufacturers. After all, Griffin made their first iTrip to broadcast to that frequency.

The units I tried were absurdly low powered, which was the major deficiency in them. They simply did not have enough power to effectively get a signal to the radio's antenna, much less overcome even the faintest of signals on the frequency or a nearby one.

If you have the antenna for your car radio in the windshield and put the iPod with FM transmitter somewhere very close to it you may have a better chance of getting a signal through.

By the way, cell phones interfere with the signal even when they are just sitting idly by.

Please report back if you find a unit that is acceptable. I think I have quit trying.

dandyrandy

I've tried the iTrip, both new and old, and still I continue to use the C Crane FM Transmitter at ccrane.com; not the smallest in the world, but you can hack it to increase the output power. $70, and all US FM freqs are tuneable.

ipodaround

iTrip LCD Update

Hi guys!
Well I called Griffin today to see if they would stand by their product. The person I talked to in customer sevice said that the LCD does have a problem with causing a "popping" noise before each track the iPod plays. He said their R & D teams were trying to fix the problem for the next version of the iTrip. I asked him why Griffin would let such a faulty product go out on the market, and he couldn't give me an answer! I told him that I bought the new LCD on E-bay and could not take it back for a refund at a store. I asked if they would send me the next version that comes out....well you can guess the answer to that!!
So I sit here with a piece of junk and 30 bucks lighter in the wallet! Griffin's lost a good customer! If your thinking of buying the iTrip....run the other way!!!

Oh...btw....I took jhollington's advice and bought a Kensington Digital Fm transmitter. He's dead right about it! Very nice product. I use it in my Oldsmobile Alero which has the radio antenna in the back window. The sound quality is far better than the iTrips! I do notice the treble distortion with the "S" sounds like everyone was talking about, but it can be fixed pretty easily by dialing down the treble on your car radio. There's hardly any background noise at all! I recommend it highly!!

Now....anyone want to buy a almost new iTrip LCD???

Anyone???

Jeff

Ronin47

Re: iTrip LCD Update

ipodaround said:
Hi guys!
Well I called Griffin today to see if they would stand by their product. The person I talked to in customer sevice said that the LCD does have a problem with causing a "popping" noise before each track the iPod plays. He said their R & D teams were trying to fix the problem for the next version of the iTrip. I asked him why Griffin would let such a faulty product go out on the market, and he couldn't give me an answer! I told him that I bought the new LCD on E-bay and could not take it back for a refund at a store. I asked if they would send me the next version that comes out....well you can guess the answer to that!!
So I sit here with a piece of junk and 30 bucks lighter in the wallet! Griffin's lost a good customer! If your thinking of buying the iTrip....run the other way!!!

Oh...btw....I took jhollington's advice and bought a Kensington Digital Fm transmitter. He's dead right about it! Very nice product. I use it in my Oldsmobile Alero which has the radio antenna in the back window. The sound quality is far better than the iTrips! I do notice the treble distortion with the "S" sounds like everyone was talking about, but it can be fixed pretty easily by dialing down the treble on your car radio. There's hardly any background noise at all! I recommend it highly!!

Now....anyone want to buy a almost new iTrip LCD???

Anyone???

Jeff
"Run away! Run away!" (Monty Python)

Call back and insist on an RMA to give it back to them.

I doubt that Griffin's people are capable of fixing the design. They don't even understand the FCC regs that are involved.