iTMS remote search script

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ConcertMan

Ok, I'm standing in Barnes and Noble looking at CDs and thinking...."I wonder if this album is available on iTMS so I can save the cash from buying it for $20 in the store."

So I got to thinking how can I make this happen. I am a newbie to applescripting but I know there is a way to make it happen.

I've been playing around with doing this via SMS but I'm not sure what program I can use to receive the SMS. plenty of apps will send them but what will receive them?

What are your guys ideas for making this work? i think this might be a huge task to undertake for my first script but I would love if we could make this happen.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Peace
jarod

Website
dougscripts.com
That's a great idea. I don't know the first thing about working with SMS, but I'm pretty sure you can't search the iTMS without iTunes in front of you.

You could always call someone with a Mac and have them look something up for you.

Just kidding.

Let us know if you find out more.

mwaf

Use WAP instead of SMS

Having a program recieve SMS would probably require some expensive SMS-data solution from a cellphone company/teleoperator/whatever. I don't live in the states so I wouldn't know, but that's my guess.

Anyway, as far as I know, few phones these days ship without WAP support these days so why not use that instead.

You could use your phone to access the built in webserver on you computer. The webserver would then call an AppleScript that makes the requested search on ITMS and return the results to your phone. Not an impossible task, assuming it is possible to use AppleScript to make the required search on ITMS.

Website
dougscripts.com
The webserver would then call an AppleScript that makes the requested search on ITMS and return the results to your phone. Not an impossible task, assuming it is possible to use AppleScript to make the required search on ITMS.
AppleScript can create a search string to send to iTMS but AppleScript cannot retrieve the results. Like shared files, iTMS is off-limits.

DeltaTee

Website
applescript.plaidcow.net
There is always a way. After having the local webserver generate the search string and pass it to iTunes, a screen shot could be taken then passed though an OCR program, and that output parsed for the strings that would indicate the Album is there. But that is probably a little more work than should be attempted.

Like most browsers, does iTunes cache the iTMS pages anywhere?

deeg

wap+email+mailscript.. getting the results ?

since sms requires special apps on the receiving end have you considered using email instead...

if your phone has wap/gprs then email is not a problem.. if using apples mail program you can set it to run an applescript on receipt of a standard itms email request..

assuming you can search itms via applescript then the mail appplescript could do all that..

capturing the results might be interesting but since we would only need to know if it exists on the itms it might not be that difficult.. contents of window 1 type of thing since an empty search results would probably return empty results.. the script could then return an email saying if the albom is on the store or not....

deeg

i take it thats by normal scripting ... anyone tried it via gui scripting ? i know itunes is a responsive to gui scripting as a box running os/400, which incidently anyone else spot that ibm have ported os/400 over to a playstation ? but you never know...would be easier for someone in the US to check this since i get the "you cannot buy from this store" splash :mad: (scuttles off to fire up script editor :p )