Issues with iTunes 7 (Mac or PC) - please post them here!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnu

I suspect that a few of the problems caused by this release under Windows is due to the fact that they've sorta integrated iTunes, the firmware updater, and the iPod Windows service and changed things 'round a bit. Try this, it might help some of you. If anything like what happened to me happened to any of you, the iPod pseudo-driver that iTunes installs might be getting a bit confuzzled on the update. This fixed it for me.

Close iTunes and disconnect your iPod.

Go into your system services and stop the iPod service.

If under Add/Remove programs you have one (or several) entries that look akin to "iPod 06-25-06" (I forget how they're named), remove them. Remove your Program Files/iPod directory afterward.

Reinstall iTunes.

jkmaster

I admit to have a rather old PC (1GHz AMD Athlon, 384 MB RAM, Matrox G450) running the new iTunes 7, and I'll probably go back to 6.0.5, which I considered the best-ever iTunes for Windows regarding performance.

Apart from that I've noticed two minor issues. My 4G iPod didn't stop synching after I had copied some new podcasts from iTunes 7. Album art is totally messed up in my cover browser. I just see some strange triangle pattern resembling album art colors. The scroll bar beneath isn't drawn correctly, either.

OT: It's a shame that gapless playback wasn't brought to the older iPods! I can't imagine it was so hard to implement.

beckylooo

Issues with Album Art and Grouped Browsing

Most of my album art is either blank or shows up as Stevie Ray Vaughn's Greatest Hits. I've tried every which way to change it - copy and pasting, dragging, going into info>artwork and selecting from a file - and nothing sticks.

Also - there are huge chuncks of albums grouped as one, with one album cover (stevie ray, naturally). I don't have this problem on my work computer. The only difference between the two is at home, all my music is on an external drive.

Is any one else having this problem? Any thoughts on how to solve it?

Thanks!

dvdmon

Website
twelveblackcodemonkeys.blog-city.com
I have a 5G iPod and yesterday upgraded to iTunes 7. Everything went fine and iTunes 7 seemed to work ok except that when I plugged my iPod in it didn't recognize it. I'm on a Windows XP system and tried the things suggested on Apple's site - resetting the iPod, redoing the COM Service, even reinstalling iTunes. ONCE it did actually see it and I was prompted to update my firmware, but it then disconnected my iPod so I thought that was that, killed iTunes and started it back up, but it never again recognized it. I even tried restoring my iPod, but that had no effect either. I can' t use an earlier version of iTunes because iTunes 7 changes the library to a format that ealier versions don't recognize. I'm at a loss as to what else to try at this point. I suppose I could try killing my library and starting from scratch with that too and trying to get iTunes 6 to recognize the iPod. My computer sees the iPod fine as an external drive, and when I uninstall iTunes 7 and run the updater, it sees it fine and is able to update/restore it. It just seems to be iTunes 7 that can't see it!

grzelakc

DVDMon,

I have the EXACT same problem you're having. I found no solution (spent until 4am last nite trying to fix it) but the only thing that appears to work is reverting to iTunes 6.0.5 and sacrificing your music library. This is what I've done and (as expected) the reverted itunes/ipod combo works perfect.

The only difference between you and me is that my ipod is the 1st gen 4gig Nano.

I'm glad to have seen your post because I thought I was the only one with the problem.

Apple better fix this one and fast! This is a huuuge bug in iTunes 7.

johlag

I have a similar problem. My iPod, a 4G iPod with color display, is not being recognized by iTunes. It is, however, showing up on my system as an external drive. I've followed Apple's help regarding the issue, but because of the new no-iPod-updater "feature," this document is slightly out of date.

I have gotten it to sync somewhat intermitantly through a very roundabout process that at least lets me update the contents of my 'pod:

I close iTunes. I close ipodservice.exe in the task manager. Then, in "Add/Remove Programs" I choose "change" next to iTunes, then "repair." This temporarily fixes the issue; that is, the iPod syncs only <i>once</i>. But at least it finds it at all.

Apple needs to get this fixed FAST, as we're stuck not only without a functioning v7, but we can't even easily revert back to 6.

f1aherty

I keep getting the same error.

The iTunes application could not be opened. There is not enough memory available. Any suggestions?

Sledutah

Just downloaded version 7, but thought I'd check in here before installing it. Glad I did, thanks. I'll wait for the next version to update.

BoDEAN

Foot Solider
When I copy files from windows explorer, mp3 files, to my ipod dir in itunes, it says copying files, although when I look through the list, they are not there. Anyone else having this issue? Help

mandingo

Website
www.guysmilie.com
iTunes 7 Mac all good, PC all bad!

iTunes7 works great for me on my mac.

Not so for my Windows XP Laptop.

When I delete the desktop and quick start icons, they reappear when iTunes opens again...any ideas how to fix that?

And the icon is messed up.

It shows the ACDSee "ICO" icon not the normal iTunes icon.

And the short cut association is all messed up.

Going to restore a hard drive image and let apple work out the PC bugs.

BoDEAN

Foot Solider
BoDEAN said:
When I copy files from windows explorer, mp3 files, to my ipod dir in itunes, it says copying files, although when I look through the list, they are not there. Anyone else having this issue? Help

Am I missing something here on why the files arent showing up in itunes or on my ipod, after dragging and dropping them into my ipod dir in itunes??

NatsuMatto

ipodmusicman said:
I only use iTunes to download and listen to podcasts. Now I am seeing that the progress bar when downloading a podcast is not working at all. It just shows the Apple logo. The same occurs when iTunes checks for now podcasts. The orange indicators show that it is downloading or checking for a podcast, but nothing in the status window.

This is pathetic!
Ahh... it's not "pathetic."

When you download something, it shows up in it's own DOWNLOADING menu on the far left of the screen (under the STORE header... it only shows up when you're actually downloading something, then it goes away). Click on that, and it will show you ALL of your downloads going... in color... with a nice progress par for each.

Threw me for a loop at first as well, but what the hell. It works fine in the new version.

NatsuMatto

I posted this in a separate thread, on accident...

I am getting these large black lines running diagonally through my album art when I use COVER BROWSER mode.

I'm using XP, but other people on Macs said they've seen this as well.

Valmor

Website
www.v4lmor.com
I have a 3G 15GB iPod that isn't recognized by iTunes 7. I tried removing the iPod Updater and then reinstalling iTunes 7, still no go. Connected via Firewire.

Neo559

Is anyone else unable to change song ratings by clicking in the My Rating column itself? I can right-click and change the rating in the context menu, but clicking in the actual column almost always has no result. In any of the three views, while songs are playing or not. It works if I sit there and click like a madman - usually by the 5th click. But that's definitely not right.

edit: This is apparently just in the Music Library or any other really large playlist. In small playlists, the rating system responds fine. I thought getting rid of the horizontal scroll would help since I know that makes iTunes slower, but getting rid of almost all my columns had no effect to the ratings responding in large playlists.

Last edited:

dwalmz

Minor problem here. There seems to be no icon for iTunes. The program is there and everything works but the current icon shows as if the actual icon is missing (which it is). I'm on a PC with XP.

rcfinn

album art weirdness

More album art weirdness: The new feature found art for about 200 of my albums, but most of the images did not transfer to my 5G iPod. Anyone know how to force those images to transfer? Also, there seems to be some evidence that the album art feature is causing a memory leak in iTunes. See http://www.hicks-wright.net/blog.php?id=5162

ipodave

I'm having the following issues with iTunes 7:

1. Garbled playback on several tracks.
2. Very slow to connect to music store when purchasing songs.
3. Can no longer copy over album artwork for multiple tracks. Have to do them individually (when using the copy-and-paste functions). Also, wish Apple would supply delete function for album artwork in my Library rather than having to go to "Get Info" for each track.
4. No longer can see the progress of the download at the top of the page for podcasts and other applications. Can only see a small spinning wheel on the left, which doesn't tell you how far the download has to go.
5. For podcasts which must be converted to ipod, process is extremely slow like before, and I have DSL.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
Is it possible that because of the memory leak linked a page back and my low amount of RAM, iTunes won't let me browse album art? I have only 256MB (which is recognized as 222MB), so it doesn't give me much room to cache the covers... especially with Firefox and RKLauncher running most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.