iSkins & the iTrip

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

guywhoisweird

Does the iSkin evo 2 for the 40GB 4G work with the iTrip?

I heard somewhere that it didn't work with it but I wanted to check here to make sure.

guywhoisweird

Yes, I know that it's advertised but just because it's advertised doesn't always make it true. For example, I was going to get the Speck case but then I read iPodlounge's review and it said that it was molded originally for the 20GB iPod. I just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case here.

does anybody have a 4G 40GB iPod w/ the iSkin evo2 w/ the iTrip?

budaboy

I have iTrip and 40G 4g iPond. I can confirm that mine does not work sometimes. I have replied to a post in this forum about the same matter that another fellow was having. I need to put excessive pressure on the iTrip to make a proper connection. I rarely use the iTrip, only in the car for longer drives. To me it looks like the thickness of the skin is preventing proper connection with the iPod. Pressing the iTrip down further makes it work. My Bro has a 20G 4G and he can just connect it fine with no issues of pressing harder to make it work.

The other fellow here actually had to wrap couple of rubber bands around the iTrip and iPod to make it work.

I have contacted iSkin about the issue last week via email and still no response.

Here is a link to that thread

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53328

budaboy

I dont think we should have too Mod the iSkin if they advertise it to work on their site.
I have emailed them twice and they still have not responded. Never dealing with them again.

dugmac

The Speck skin IS too thick (or mine was anyway) I had to actually make the cut-out bigger (pretty ugly, but it worked)

I got my new iSkin Evo 2 today - it works fine - the skin is noticably thinner on the top to accomodate the iTrip etc.

and it looks lovely....... buy iSkin - worth the extra money. you'll only buy twice otherwise... I did - and now I have an old Speck skin doing nothing....

guywhoisweird

The iSkin is worth the extra money, but the fact is it doesn't completely work with the iTrip.

Wilder_K_Wight

Old-School Lounger
I keep hearing both sides of this... Some say it works great with iTrip, others say they can't get it to fit properly.

It's got to be better than the JamJacket, though.

guywhoisweird

The people that say the iSkin works w/ the iTrip are the people who have the 20GB iPod and use the 20GB iSkin case.

The people who say the iSkin doesn't work w/ the iTrip are the people who have the 40GB iPod and have bought the 40GB case.

And yes, the iSkin is better than the JamJacket.

Madjock

Website
www.mcgunnigle.com
I'm another 4th Gen, 40GB iPod, iSkin and iTrip user unhappy about iSkins advertising and the lack of complete compatability between the iSkin and iTrip.

I have emailed this to iSkin, if they dont reply within a week, I will be faxing and sending them a copy, failing that, I'll be calling as I want an answer on this subject.

I'll keep this thread updated.

-------------------

Hi,
I've seen some feedback left on ipodlounge from others users including myself who are also having problems with the iSkin on a 4th Gen iPod using the Griffen iTrip.

You advertise that the iSkin is compatible, but there is definitely an issue with the iTrip not connecting to the iPod as well as it should. Without the iSkin, the iTrip 'clicks' into place on the iPod. With the iSkin on the machine, the iTrip cannot click and therefore doesn't connect as well, I have spent many a car journey fighting with the iTrip trying to make it stay in place.

Can you please:
a) Confirm that's there is an issue with the iSkin and iTrip
b) Pass on any information about modifying the iSkin to accept the iTrip.

Meatpants

So basically, Lajo is the only 4g 40gb case that works with BOTH the iTrip and the Dock? :(

smirf83

The fact is, even though the case is thinner on the top ("beveled" is the word that iSkin use i think), it's still too thick and doesn't allow an iTalk (and therefore also iTrip as well I assume) to connect to the ipod properly.

guywhoisweird

Well, I decided to bite the bait, and I got the iSkin evo2. I got it a while ago... there was some other topic that created about that...

Anyways, the iSkin DOES work with the iTrip. HOWEVER, it WILL fail to work every once in a while. All the complaints mentioned here are valid, but the iTrip does work with the iSkin.

To Meatpants:
You're only 1/2 correct. The Speck products case works with the iTrip and is dock compatible. However it doesn't fit the 40GB very effectively. But otherwise the Lajo is the only kind of case that supports the iTrip and the dock.

dmz

Just another me too here. I have the iskin and itrip and the 20gb ipod. The itrip does fail from time to time just as people have described here. I guess some careful shaving is the fix.

Madjock

Website
www.mcgunnigle.com
I thought I would provide an update, I contacted iSkin about my 40GB cover and the issues with the iTrip that I'm having and got this responce:

Thank you for writing iSkin.
We have conducted internal testing which shows that some skins are slightly thicker at the top than others- some being slightly too thick for satisfactory use of the iTrip. the difference depends on the molds used to manufacture. Some molds create thicker top panels than others.
If you are having trouble with the iTrip we can discuss a possible
exchange for an identical product from a different mold.
So therefore, I sent my iSkin back to the company in Canada and recieved a replacement yesterday. First impressions were okay, the iTrip still doesn't click into place like it would without the iSkin attached, but thats not a serious issue as long as the connection sticks enough.

I haven't had a chance to use the iTrip in the car yet, but once I've done some more testing, I'll get back to this thread and post my findings.

Madjock

Website
www.mcgunnigle.com
Unfortuantly, the iSkin is still having me hassles with the iTrip, it maybe slightly better but not satifactuary as I hoped.

Looks like its time for Mr Stanley knife to have a cut.