iSkin Exo FIRST IMPRESSIONS

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
Okay, so let's hear from those who've actually received their skins. If you include the date you ordered, the date you received, and where shipped to, that would help too.

I got the white frost one for my 15GB. Ordered July 10, received July 25, NYC. No screen protector yet, but I did get the Maclear as well.

Maclear - Eh. It's all right. I'm using it for now until the screen protector comes, but in general I'd say it's better for general storage or use with the iPod w/o the skin. When the skin is on and the whole truck is in the Maclear, I find it's just too hard to hit the buttons. It's almost like you have to stretch the plastic down to make contact. Also, the case is a little wonky and out of shape, but that's likely to smooth out over time as the plastic relaxes (assuming you keep the iPod in it).

Exo iSkin - Fab. It was easy to stretch it over the pod, and I like that you can remove the nipple of the belt stub. Also, the metal disc for the belt stub is not in contact with the iPod's back, so scratches are unlikely. I may put a piece of tape there for extra protection, as it would be easy to remove the tape and residue later if need be. The fit of the skin is right-on for my 15GB G3, but it's hard to operate the hold switch through the opening even though it lines up perfectly. This is because the hold switch doesn't have the "nub" that the old pods did, so you can't get a good grasp on it.

Belt clip - Seems to work fine, though I haven't tried actually hanging it from my belt as that's a look I'm not going for in NYC. ;)

So yeah, that's it.

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
So far I haven't handled it much, as I got it at work and it's pretty much been taking up space on my desk. (Pretty pretty ipod...) I can give you a better idea of that when I get the screen protector, because it'll all be in the Maclear case until then. All I can say is it feels pretty smooth and even if it did get dusty, one wipe with a barely damp cloth would probably do the trick.

If you were going to be using the skin as an outer case, you might find that dust gets in through the vent openings in the back. In that case, pulling out the ipod once in a while and wiping it down might be necessary. See Martha Stewart's website for more hints.

cjett

Received my blue mist iskin in the mail today from ThinkDifferent. Overall, I'm very pleased. Great case... Just enough protection. I was concerned about the flexibility of the material, and how it would do with the dock (if you haven't seen the pics, iSkin says to pull the iPod through the scroll wheel hole, to gain access to the bottom of the iPod for placement in the dock). No concerns at all after getting it. This material is like no kind of silicone I have ever seen... it has an amazing resilency, stretch it way out of whack, and it pops right back, even after an hour.

Well worth the investment and wait!

cjett

RoccoM

I just got my Asphalt exo from Thinkdifferent. I agree, this thing can be manipulated all sorts of ways and pop back into shape. But how can you stop it from getting lint all over it? It's like a magnet for dust, etc. I read soaking it in soapy water helps. Any other ideas?

And, yes - I twisted my nipple off too.

IronSerif

100% Dead Sexy
Question for those with the exo...

How well does the ipod with the exo on it fit in the case that came with the ipods?

MadDog5145

RoccoM said:
I just got my Asphalt exo from Thinkdifferent. I agree, this thing can be manipulated all sorts of ways and pop back into shape. But how can you stop it from getting lint all over it? It's like a magnet for dust, etc. I read soaking it in soapy water helps. Any other ideas?

And, yes - I twisted my nipple off too.
I was thinking about getting the asphaly color but I was afraid that the lint would show up more clearly than the whitefrost. Are you having any problems keeping it clean?

RoccoM

Everything shows up on the Asphalt color. SO last night my wife soaked it in warm soap water, hopefully that will help. I'll post back with my thoughts on what happens.

Tekron

keepin'downtheunderground
Even if it does show up, big deal. Wipe it off and put it back in your pocket, where it is most of the time.

talkingipods

Man... I should cancel my order with iskin.com and go with thinkdifferent. Afterall, they will ship the screen shade when it comes in for free right? Another worry I have is getting my refund right away, since they charged me for it...

rkabir

i tired to get them give me a refund, they wont respond to my emails

carlin

iPodaholic...
Website
homepage.mac.com
i saw the options for a caribbean blue one, what the h e l l is that exactly? dark, light, kahlua-colored lol, does it come with one of those little umbrellas to stick on it. I emailed them wat color it was, but apparently iSkin does not seem to answer emails, so i also emailed charleen and the rest of the thinkdifferentstore.com team. Hopefully they'll let me know, or maybe their rep on these boards can help me out!!!

prez*

IronSerif said:
Question for those with the exo...

How well does the ipod with the exo on it fit in the case that came with the ipods?
It doesn't - sorry. Although I am struggling to see how my iSkin will be able to hold the screen protector in place very effectively. Suppose I'll just have to wait and see.

prez*

BTW just got my Frost White and I LOVE IT! although they have put that somewhat annoying and frankly useless keyring loop on the side - time to find the scapel!