is this possible--partially randomized playlist

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

eustace

Hi all, I'm new to Applescript and am trying to decide if it makes sense to use an iTunes script for a project. Conceptually, what I want to do is simple, but I'm not sure if it's technically possible given that (as I understand it based on some research this morning) shuffling in newer versions of iTunes with Applescript is wonky. I'm using iTunes 12.2.

Basically I want to create a playlist that has a few tracks in fixed positions and about 20 tracks (randomly selected from a larger group of about 50) that appear in between them in a random order. Ultimately, I want to be able to burn audio CDs that have roughly the following track list:

Track 1: intro track [same on every CD]
Tracks 2-9: randomly selected tracks [different on every CD]
Track 10: middle track [same on every CD]
Tracks 11-19: randomly selected tracks [different on every CD]
Track 20: concluding track [same on every CD]

Is this possible with Applescript? Thanks for you time.

cjmnews

Staff member
Yes that should be possible.

You would create the random list. If you use Smart Playlists to do it, you may end up with less than random results, but if you make the final playlist from 2-5 random playlists, it should be fairly good. You may be able to do it in Applescript/Javascript/VB as well.

Then you would have your list of fixed tracks.

Build a new playlist, pick a fixed track, iterate through the random list, and repeat.

eustace

thanks

Thanks for replying. I actually ended up doing it with Python (basically, I now have a Python program that when run applies new, randomly sequenced numerical prefixes to the non-fixed tracks). In the end, I guess it's better to go with what you know. :)

Adam