Is there an option to turn the "split screen" off?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

XVI

You know, at first I was hating it, but I actually went to the Apple Store to check it out and it's cool, you'll get used to it, at it'll grow on you.

MikeAQP

I too want an option to choose between the split and the standard screen.

bigDee

This guy just wants to be different than everyone else. Why would he want white space instead of album art? Doesn't make any sense.

iowna30gbvideo

What happens if you don't have album art for all tracks? does it show a blank space?
I think the split screen looks cool, but still, it'd be nice to have options.

paranoidxe

bigDee said:
This guy just wants to be different than everyone else. Why would he want white space instead of album art? Doesn't make any sense.
Some of us want more guts and less fluff..as if album art really makes a difference in the iPod's function.

nonstopdigital

I agree. The split screen looks stupid and it slows the ipod down considerably. The wheel is less responsive than previous ipods.

mini.boss

bigDee said:
1) Long file names
2) Text-Only is faster UI
3) Nobody complained about "white space" before so why is it suddenly an issue?

It's silly to assume album art and flashy effects is for everyone.

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
I dont like the new split screen either. I am very happy with my 5G and the soothing white space on the right of the screen.

As someone else said, what if you dont want to have album art for all your music? theres a lot of ppl who couldnt care less about album art.

eclipxe

What difference does it make if you don't have artwork for ALL of your music? It's just random art clips, so if you have SOME it will be fine. Geez.

Riddell

Still, I'd prefer my ipod to save that extra battery rather than show some pretty pictures that i dont really care about. I suppose i havent actually experienced the split screen yet, so who knows, it might grow on me, but at the moment id prefer a quicker, more responsive ipod rather than one with an flowery artistic touch.

donelson

Website
www.armchair-travel.com
I have always complained about the very poor display of long song / album names on iPods, and I could care less about cover art. Lots of my songs have names such that you need the last 20 chars to be able to tell which track you have in the menus (lots of classical music is this way).

What I want is a Fast, Responsive iPod, which won't thrash the disk (and use lots! of power) every time I go to the menu.

Keep in mind that disk thrashing (finding lots of tiny files spread out over the disk) burns far more power than anything else, AND takes a huge amount of time as well!

I'd just as soon Turn Off all the fancy "Look what I've got" ego-puffing bullsh*T, and just have an iPod that works fast and efficiently.

I was going to buy a Classic, but all this "Slow Menu/Operation" talk has scared me off...

donelson

Website
www.armchair-travel.com
Perhaps I should just strip ALL of the cover art out of my iTunes before I load up a Classic?

Utilities for that, anyone?

Will removing all cover art get rid of the artsy-fartsy stuff in menu?

Blaine

donelson said:
I have always complained about the very poor display of long song / album names on iPods, and I could care less about cover art. Lots of my songs have names such that you need the last 20 chars to be able to tell which track you have in the menus (lots of classical music is this way).
I'm in exactly the same position. Posted by me earlier:

The "now playing" screen on the classic - a question

westofrome

Surely the option to go to the "classic" non-split screen wouldn't be too difficult to implement in a firmware update? But I'm no software engineer.