Is jailbreaking worth it?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Splatterific

I see sine really cool stuff I can do with my apple arsenal by jailbreaking but, was wondering upon jailbreaking does it erase your entire device as part of installing? Does it void my warranty? Is it totally reversible? Probably some stupid quest. I just don't wanna ruin what works.

I rule, your a tool

kornchild2002

1. Yes, it completely erases the iOS device.
2. Apple (along with every wireless carrier) will not service a jailbroken iPhone (same goes with stores servicing jailbroken iPods and iPads). However, there is a solution for that:
3. Yes, the process is completely reversible. The jailbreak has to be removed when servicing an iOS device.

I have owned at least one iOS device since 2007 when iOS was known as iPhone OS (also the first year the iPhone and iPod touch were launched). I jailbroke my 1G iPod touch but eventually removed it. For me, it wasn't worth it since I would have to wait quite a bit of time (back then it was around 5 months, now it is more like 1-2) just to be able to install the new version of iOS. Whenever Apple releases a new version of iOS, you have to wait for someone to come out with a stable un-teathered jailbreak. That can sometimes be overnight (especially for the smaller updates) or it can take a while. Wireless providers are cracking down on using phones at hotspots as well and that was the main benefit of jailbreaking an iPhone. With the family share plan, Verizon lets its customers use their phones as wi-fi hotspots for free anyway.

Unless you plan on running non-approved apps that require a jailbroken device, I don't recommend doing it.

Vanilaice

Of course it is worth it. It can give that Apple can not or doesn't wont

travis91

ain't it sad you have to do some illegal crap to your phone, so you like it? not to mention the bunch of money you spend on it...

Burnett1

Jail breaking

Hello

I must say that jailbreaking is not illegal, just some things you get with the jailbreak, that you don't have to install.(Like installous-Download apps that cost, free)

Yes it does void you warranty just be careful not to damage it.

I am expierienced in this area as I have jailbroke multiple times. Its easy if you get the right one and I'm not sure if it erases data I usually restore first. Although you can make a backup on iTunes, restore, jailbrake, and put the backup on again.

A word of caution:-

If it does get broken (like camera or screen) and you send to apple if they find out its jail broken I believe they wipe the hard drive to factory settings. Not 100% sure.

Also if you do jailbrake don't overload your device with random tweaks it slows your device down really badly. ( winter board especially )

HOW TO JAILBREAK

1. First find out what IOS version you are on. You can do this by going to settings-general-about.

If you are below 5.1.1 and the newest one is 5.1.1. Update it there is a jailbreak for this version.

2. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes.
Right click on your device in iTunes and click backup.
(Only do this if you want to keep all your stuff. If you don't want to keep your
Stuff restore it.) Now that you have backed it up restore it. And set it up as a
New device with a different name. From the device set it up as new device
As well, but sign in with your apple I.D

Once you are at the home screen Proceed to the next step.

3. Go to
absin the jail break . com / download - absinthe - 2 - 0 - jailbreak - 5 - 1 - 1-untethered /

Said I'm not aloud to post link so remove all the spaces.

4. From here scroll down and download the correct absinthe for your system.
e.g. Windows 7, Mac, Vista ect.

5. Once you have downloaded it and located where you saved it run it. Don't be
Alarmed by the black box with writing for windows.
Now a new folder should be made at the same location as the last one. Open
It and click on absinthe. It should find your device and then click jailbreak.

6. What ever you do dont unplug it until the status bar on absinthe is complete. And It says your device is free.

7. Launch Cydia and let it prepare it's files and restart.

8. Now head over to iTunes and right click on your device and click restore from
Back up. Select the backup you made, make sure its that one. Now click ok it
Might show up with there is a newer backup available.
Do you want to use the newer one or older one make sure you click older one.
You should now have your data once the backup is complete.

9. Well done you are now jailbroke.

If you have had any problems please ask or from the link scroll down more,
There are guides and error guides.

kornchild2002

If you send a jailbroken device to Apple that needs repairing, they are not going to restore it. They will pack the iPhone (or iPad or iPod touch) and send it back to you as-is for voiding their warranty. That is why you have to restore the iOS device before sending it off to Apple for service.