Is anybody working on a "car dock?"

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

curtw

7 iPods and counting
Website
moviepooper.com
I'm about to buy a 3rd-gen Pod, and I'd like to use it "seamlessly" in the car. Right now, looking through the commercial links and reviews here, it appears like you can *almost* get there with a combination of the Belkin Auto Kit and a PDA holder, or possibly an Apple dock used with the DLO AutoPod AutoCharger. But I'd sure like an integrated solution.

What about the doohickey seen in the new VW commercial? Is that just a holder with no "juice" that makes you use the headphone out?

(my car stereo has a line-in jack, so I don't need to worry about iTrip or equivalents).

Thanks!

Curt

Taskman

Nope nothing like that exists. Really the only difference between what your asking and what most people use(Belkin + car holder) is that the power would come from inside the dash and not need the belkin. Unfortuantly both ways require some custom work.

Most people just install the belkin inside the dash, drill a hole and run the wire to the holder for the ipod. Basic, looks good, and the sound is good.

The VW is just a holder. Nothing more. Though I hear it looks cool.

Taskman

curtw

7 iPods and counting
Website
moviepooper.com
One possibility

everythingipod.com responded to my e-mail, saying that they're working on a TransPod that's compatible with the new models, and it's about two months away from being available. If it's like their Rev. II, and leaves out the FM transmitter, this should be exactly what I need.

Last edited:

curtw

7 iPods and counting
Website
moviepooper.com
schisamo said:
... Blitzsafe is working on an interface that will allow you to control your ipod like a cd changer through your car stereo...
Could be cool, but it looks like Blitzsafe is OEM only. I replaced my OEM stereo with a Blaupunkt about 3 hours after I drove the car off the lot. At the time (1998), Blau was the only company routinely offering line-in on all models.