is 64/31/16mb big enough for what users will need/

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gregfripp

will 64 mb be big enough for what users will need
on the ipad? Apple obviously think so, but what do YOU think?

kornchild2002

No, 64MB isn't enough to even hold one application. I can fit about 7 songs or one music video in that space, nothing more.

However, 64GB (which is the maximum capacity iPad model) is more than enough to hold a few 720p videos, 480p videos, applications, and songs. The 16GB capacity model is a complete joke and should have never been released. It seems like Apple is just trying to get rid of some extra 16GB SSD drives they had in their factories. 32GB definitely wouldn't be enough for me to hold much but 64GB is. I would have preferred a 128GB SSD drive but those are still damned expensive, Apple would have been charging $1000 for a 128GB iPad.

RynM

16MB would be a complete joke! 16GB on an iPad is probably just about tolerable. 32GB is enough, and 64GB is plenty as KC2002 said.

JSRinUK

The 16GB model is Apple's way of saying "Look, you can have an iPad for less than $500 but you're going to have to sacrifice something...".

Until recently, the 16GB model is the one I've been looking at precisely because of its price point (although we don't know what the UK price will be yet). I have a 32GB iPod Touch which handles my media needs and so I wouldn't be intending to fill the iPad up with my whole audio library and loads of videos.

That said, in the run up to the release of the iPad, I'm going to see if I can afford the 32GB or possibly even the 64GB model. It all depends on what the UK price will be - something we're not going to know until it's released, thus making it difficult to decide which model to buy.

Why Apple feels the need to hide this info is anybody's guess. You can't exactly save up for something when you don't know what your target is.

kornchild2002

The 16GB model is Apple's way of saying "Look, you can have an iPad for less than $500 but you're going to have to sacrifice something...".
Change that to "...you're going to have to sacrifice a lot..." and you have what Apple and many others are thinking. I understand why Apple came out with a 16GB iPad but that doesn't stop it from being a complete joke. All Apple is doing is cleaning out an aged inventory of 16GB SSD drives. The 16GB model will disappear next year (or even this Fall) just as the 16GB iPod touch did.

In a device that is advertised as being able to play videos (in HD no less) for 10 hours, 16GB is laughable. That comes out to about 4 movies.

At least it is better than what the competition is doing so far. JooJoo is releasing a tablet that runs an internet browser. It has hardware capable of playing 1080p videos along with true HD Flash 10.1 support, a captive multi-touch 12" screen, an SD card expansion (it is SDHC compatible, still don't know about SDXC) and many other features that are actually better than the iPad. However, JooJoo is charging $500 for their only model which has 4GB of built-in storage. That is even more dumb than what Apple is doing with the 16GB iPad.

That still doesn't stop the 16GB capacity from being a joke and only having one purpose: so Apple can say that the iPad is $500.

JSRinUK

That still doesn't stop the 16GB capacity from being a joke and only having one purpose: so Apple can say that the iPad is $500.
That may well be the case but, if Apple price the 32GB and 64GB models outside of my budget when they finally announce a UK price, then I'll be buying the 16GB model and will make do.

If all that was available was the 32GB and 64GB models and both were outside my budget, then I think I'd be wishing that Apple would launch a cheaper 16GB model. Joke or no joke.

wyneken

I'd say it depends entirely on how you plan to use the device.

I'm inclined to think the 16GB model will be plenty adequate for what I intend to do (as long as I do not get addicted to watching movies on this thing). I'm seeing this as mainly something to shlep back and forth to school, do a bit of simple word-processing and page-layout, and the usual online stuff like e-mail and web-browsing. The e-reader capability might turn out to be cool -- I really haven't done much of that to date.

I'm a writer and teacher so most of my computer activity is related to those things. Even on my desktop computer I don't do too much that requires a lot of storage or processing power.

The main obvious exception for me is my music collection, which is now around 60K songs, but I've long passed the point where it's feasible to carry that around on a portable device. i use a combination of smart and regular playlists for syncing with my iPod touch (which is only 8GB), so this might actually be an upgrade in that respect.

It's possible, of course, that once I actually start using this, I'll think of all kinds of other things that would be cool to do. But I'll try to view that as an excuse for buying a larger, 2nd or 3rd generation model in a year or two.

Sparkee

I agree with kornchild2002 the 16GB model is probably a way for Apple to clear out some old stock of memory. However I do still easily manage quite a bit of audio and video content on a 16GB touch to last me on my regular 4 day road trips. I do have multiple iPods dedicated to different activities and content Most of us here use these devices extensively for media consumption which can take up memory quite quickly. I believe a 16GB iPad would be completely adequate for someone who only wants an ebook reader, picture viewer or an internet appliance for the livingroom coffee table. Even as a coffee table appliance with Remote running to control iTunes, AirTunes speakers and Apple TVs, you don't need lots of storage on the device. Ebooks and text documents don't take much memory and the 16GB model would be perfect for someone who is just looking for an ebook reader.

That said I will still only look at a 32 or 64GB model, probably the 64GB model.

astroman33

wyneken is on target. It depends... it depends on how one is going to use device. I have a 16gb IPT and have about 11gb free, so I could have gone with an 8gb model. But I wanted the cushion.

If someone's interests or needed don't involve movies--or only wants to carry around a couple of TV shows, or a movie, 16gb would be more than enough. (Who really needs to have access to several movies at one time? OK, lots of people, I suppose, just as I carry around scores of books.)

OTOH, going for the 16gb model would be a penny-wise, pound foolish decision. For only $100 more, that is, only 20% more, you'd have double the storage space (100% more). Most people who can afford to spend $500 on the iPad can also afford to spend $600. If the extra $100 is an issue, then they probably shouldn't get the iPad to begin with!

Mochan

16GB is enough. This isn't going to be your iPod replacement, I mean you aren't going to be using this as your primary means to listen to MP3s (at least I hope not - not when there are iPods which are much better suited for that purpose).

People plan to use this for taking notes, reading books, etc. right? 16GB is plenty for that.

The only thing I'd imagine people really wanting lots of space to use this with is HD video, and 64GB isn't enough for most people when it comes to HD video. I have 3TB worth of external harddisks and they aren't enough for my video needs. I have to buy new harddisks every quarter.

gregfripp

I meant gb, not mb!

I meant to say gb, not mb, when I asked the question.Sorry.
I will get a 64gb model, as I dont know what will be needed.
greg

jmuhobo

Have to agree with people saying that 16GIG is a joke, I currently have an IPHONE 3G with 16GIGS and kick myself that I didn't go with the 32GIG model for a hundred more.

Personally I'll probably go with the 32GIG IPAD, just so I can hold a few fav albums while reading and obviously this will be my movie player.

If anyone is also interested in looking at bluetooth headset, I suggest JayBird SB1B. My friend has one and I'm buying one soon and they are awesome. (paired with IPHONE) so even better with the Ipad.

Bromdale

Expandability

Surely the real concern is the lack of expandability? That was there with the Newton from Day One, seamlessly integrated, and no SD cards in those days!

Bromdale

sracer

As others have said, 16GB will be sufficient depending upon what the device will be used for. One reason for the knee-jerk negative reaction to 16GB is in part due to improper encoding of videos. Properly encoded full-length movies for good quality viewing on the iPad should weigh in at about 500MB.

Another reason is due to the "I must have my entire media library with me at all times" mentality that is all too common. For those of us who huge media libraries, we have been past the point where any consumer portable media player can hold our entire collection, so we are already dealing with that.

Obviously more memory is better. And considering that the internal memory is not user-upgradeable, it makes sense to get the memory model that you can best afford. But I think that some people will do themselves a disservice by automatically eliminating the 16GB model from their analysis.

Having said that, I'm looking to get the 32GB non-3G model as soon as they're available.

Mr. E.

Barca Lounger
As others have said, 16GB will be sufficient depending upon what the device will be used for. ...
Another reason is due to the "I must have my entire media library with me at all times" mentality that is all too common. For those of us who huge media libraries, we have been past the point where any consumer portable media player can hold our entire collection, so we are already dealing with that.

Obviously more memory is better. ...
Agreed. I was originally put off by the iPod Touch because it could hold, at best, half of what my 5G iPod could hold. At the time, my iPod 5G was holding my entire music library, plus a few videos and a couple of games. Once I broke down and bought an iPod Touch, I realized that I could still fit days worth of music on it, several videos, and several applications and other files just by managing my media a little better. Smart playlists rotate my music. I don't watch much video on my iPod, but I keep a few files on there just in case. I have many ebooks on my iPod, and they take up only a small percentage of my space. The upshot is that with less space I have access to a lot more kinds of media and more kinds of information. The downside is that every now and then I get hankering for a specific song or album and find that it's not there, but that's a rare occurrence because my top rated songs and albums are always synced.

That said, I always go for the highest capacity. My iPod Touch is 32GB, which was the highest capacity when I bought it. I am very hopeful that I'll be able to shell out the extra $200 for the 64gb iPad. I am confident that with some good syncing and file management strategies you can get by with even the 16gb device, but I also know that I will have no problem filling up the 64gb version if given the opportunity.

And your intended use can play a big part as well. I think, generally, in terms of file size video > audio > photo > text. Applications are generally where? Less than longer video files, I think, but larger than smaller audio files. But that's a guess. If you're really excited about watching video on this thing, then I would seriously consider trying to get something higher than the 16gb, but even with 16gb and frequent syncing you could get enough video to keep you busy, but I expect you would always be bumping against that storage limit. If you just wanted to check your e-mail, surf the web, and read books, you might find that 16gb was not limiting at all.

So while I'm sure 16GB is an option mainly to meet a price point, I expect that many casual users will be able to get by with that and never feel inconvenienced, and I expect many more sophisticated users will be able to juggle their files enough to make it work. Me, I always fill devices to capacity, so I'm always going to get the highest capacity I can afford.