iRiver iHP-100 coming out here in US

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

profingersk8er

http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/iHP-100.asp
it'll become available August 11, price is still unknown

i know most of you are going to say this thing is bigger then ipod or uglier..i wont complain because this still is a ipod forum (and most of you are loyo apple users). but by looking at the spec data and reviews, i really am having second thoughts about getting the 3rd genration 10gig ipod.

guys..help me decide...not from a loyo apple user's paint of view. but a student who is looking for the most out of a hi-tech device..
this is what i have come up soo far:

size: ipod > ihp-100
functions: ipod < ihp-100
battery life: ipod < ihp-100
style: ipod > ihp-100
remote: ipod < ihp-100
sound: ???

right now i cant decide to go with ipod'z sexy design or iriver's functions... so any input from you guys would be very helpful:)
thanks
brandon

dcx693

Brandon, very exciting! Check out the iRiver community boards on the international site (iriver.com) and you'll see that some pictures with size comparisons of the iHP-100 to the 2nd gen and 3rd gen iPods. The iPods are smaller, but not by a ton.

I have an iRiver ChromeX imp-150 mp3/cd player. The firmware that iRiver puts out for that low-end player has an unbelievable number of customization options including 3 user-selectable EQ settings. I like the sound that comes out of my ChromeX more than the sound that comes out of the iPod, but that's a very personal thing. There is no way to objectively say which device puts out better sound - you have to listen for yourself. I agree with your conclusions on the other comparisons.

The iRiver has been priced around 329 pounds at a few Eurpoean sites like http://www.mp3players.co.uk/site/uk/ihp.html. Given that the 15 gig iPod retails for 399 pounds in Europe and it's $399 US here, maybe the iRiver will be priced at $329 US. It should be priced around there to compete with the 10 gig iPod (plus the remote - if you care about it - is worth $30 alone). All are smaller than the Zen models, so they don't need to compete with those devices at their price points.

dcx693

MadDog5145, you'd give up the extra 20 gigs? What about the iRiver appeals to you?

profingersk8er

thank you soo much for the link dcx693, if the price is reasonable (which i think it will be, around $350 or lower), then im leaning towards the ihp-100:)

now only time will tell

FanaticBee

Defenetly.If u had to buy a 15gig ipod or the ihp i would buy the ihp!!!

dcx693

The iRiver site says that preorders are in the works now and that they'd start shipping August 11th, but where can you pre-order them? Not on the iRiver site naturally, since that would give away the price.:confused:

jasperstory

actually the 15gig is on for 299 pounds/// meaning it would likely be about $450.

For 10gigs... i suppose if you want!
Also... i doesn't read ID3 tags and instead uses filenames... a big hinderance i think considering i often sort by album or genre.

The extended battery life too sounds dodgy to me.. with most products i've found the companies are unhonest about battery life and its just that apple are somewhat honest.

The features perhaps are better than that of the ipod - although it is expected the ipod while gain recording features via updated firmware relatively soon - i think the greatest thing about the ipod is its simplicity... gone are huge shiny bricks with hundreds of buttons and inputs. I think simple things are the best!

Infamouschitlin

You can already get it on audiocubes for like 500$...the problem is the price. My previous mp3 player was a dinky 256mb iriver flash memory thingy. Neway...It was 200$+best buys warrenty. Now, for 100 more I could Have bought A 10gig ipod. Now considering that there are hacks that make up for a lot of the things that make the new hp-100 better than the ipod, I see no reason to switch. My 15gig was 380+40 for the firewire card. This Hp-100 is for sale on audio cubes for 489, and according to you guys will sell for the same price as my 15 gig when it is in stores. I will admit though, The Iriver had better sound and headphones than my new ipod. So Im using those now.

profingersk8er

jasperstory said:
actually the 15gig is on for 299 pounds/// meaning it would likely be about $450.

For 10gigs... i suppose if you want!
Also... i doesn't read ID3 tags and instead uses filenames... a big hinderance i think considering i often sort by album or genre.

The extended battery life too sounds dodgy to me.. with most products i've found the companies are unhonest about battery life and its just that apple are somewhat honest.

The features perhaps are better than that of the ipod - although it is expected the ipod while gain recording features via updated firmware relatively soon - i think the greatest thing about the ipod is its simplicity... gone are huge shiny bricks with hundreds of buttons and inputs. I think simple things are the best!
read this guy's review...very detailed. and he tested 15 hours and 26 min while playing 128kbps mp3 at volume 40

link: http://www.iriver.com/community/column_view.asp?idx=249&page=1&mode=Total&strque=&field=1&p_name=

rga345

Hmm...

If you read the guy's review of the player...you would know that this DAP can search for files using BOTH ID tags and Filenames. The Icons are looking mighty sweet in the screen too!

The aesthetics(correct my spelling o_0) are not up to par with the iPod, but then what else is? :p From early reviews, it seems however, to be well made from a magnesium body. Size is roughly the same as the 2nd generation iPod but only 2g heavier than the 3g iPod. That will do for me =)

Sound wise, the player's specs dont match the new iPod, however, iRiver players are mostly known for their excellent sound and early reviews indicate this player is no exception.

As far as firmware is concerned, I have visited the iRiver website and they do constantly upgrade their player with new features. Therefore, I would expect to see this player have some shortcomings in the beginning with firmware updates to resolve and add features. They already mention a special surprise for all iRiver iHP current owners already about future firmwares in the news sections.

Finally, I REALLY wish the iPod had a LCD remote like that! Remotes are far more efficient to use for me than having to take out the player everytime...especially if you have it in a solid case like mine.

My only concern would be the joystick navigation...I love my wheel and the apparent lack of covers for the ports on the player.

Hmmm.....So many new choices, so little money >.<

My 2nd Poddy will do for now :p

Phil

Website
www.staind-online.com
The screen is so freaking huge and shows so much info :eek: I'm jealous. The battery life seems amazing too.

I'm still waiting for the ipod to have the option to have smaller font size so I can see long album and artist names, or have them scroll. And a custom EQ hasn't been made for over a year since the crappy EQ first came out.

BigIzz

Physical characteristics of electronics never really mattered much to me. I never cared how stuff looked, just as long as it got the job done. Ever since I've gotten my iPod though, every other mp3 based player I see looks so stupiud and tacky. Putting stuff like "Multi Codec Jukebox" under the screen just makes a player look amatuerish and cheesy. It is a small thing but it is still important.

We can argue all day about features and what players are better but you think some manufacturer could make something that is at least close to the iPod in terms of visual appeal.

dcx693

Phil, if my iRiver ChromeX is any indication, the iRiver ihp should have tons of customization options. I personally like havings tons of info on my LCD, like the file format, encoding rate, etc... The iPod is simplicity itself, but sometimes you want more.

dcx693

BigIzz, I think I've figured out why so many people spend so much time looking at their iPods (or maybe they are fliping the iPod over so they can look at themselves in the mirror :)). With those touch-sensitive buttons you have to: or else you'll wind up hitting the wrong button. I, for one, have been used to buttons that you could "feel" before you pressed them. Why do I need to look at the player each time I want to do something?

dcx693

Ugh. $399 is too much for what it is even for someone like me who really wanted to like it.